• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons: Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the problem clearly does have something to do with flags, losing a mast that doesn't have a flag shouldn't cause a problem.

Non-player ships never change their flag, unless they surrender when it should go white.

I wonder what would happen if we'd rename all flag# and penn# locators to merely flag and penn without any trailing numbers.
Even the not rerigged stock game ships had their masts changed for the sake of adding the penn locators, so still those are fine.
And if I remember correctly, the stock game ships never had a number appended to their locator type.

a good ship to try that out on is the gaff schooner. stock ship, but has it's main mast replaced with that of a sloop, and does have the bug.

The Gaff Schooner; is that the stock game schooner1/schooner2?
Seems they do have numbers in the locator groups for flag and penn.
Do the barques have the problem too? I checked those and they've also got numbers.

I played with the flags and pennants on barque2 a little bit and only managed to make all of them disappear. Adding numbers to try to make them mast specific seemed to have no effect. When I deleted one they all disappeared.

The Gaff Schooner; is that the stock game schooner1/schooner2?
Seems they do have numbers in the locator groups for flag and penn.
Do the barques have the problem too? I checked those and they've also got numbers.

that's the ship, yes. i'll keep an eye out for barques, but i haven't gotten any test results for them yet. i have a vague memory of the bug occuring with them, but it's not clear enough to be sure.

here's something curious. while the heavy brig (a stock ship) does not have the flag bug, the packet brig does, while the only addition to that brig compared to the heavy brig is a lifeboat on the stern. no info on the barque yet though, but i did notice that one particular light frigate had the problem:

ENGINE2011-06-3016-32-30-73.jpg

the screenshot itself is kinda crap, but i hope you can make out the specific model. it's french, if that helps. i dunno the state of the other light frigs so far.

Very recently I re-rigged the heavy brigs, but I did not touch the flags. This pic shows the foremast (mast2) of the heavy brig (brig1) and the packet brig. Brig1 has an extra flag on that mast. The packet brig has only a pennant. Look at the f1,f2,f3,&f4 locators. Most ships have a combination of masts with no flags or pennants, flags and pennants, and pennant only. I will look into this more later on.

Oh i like this stuff on the masts and flags bug! i think you guys might be onto something re the added locators in the non-stock ships etc :b: Of course that sounds like a hold-full of re-working and testing to do, but as one of the most obvious bugs currently(for new players especialy) it should be a priority to see if it can be fixed. On that note if anyone brave enough to take on this task needs a hand with it - and is prepared to have a 'monkey see, monkey do' type of assistant then don't hesitate to send me a message on what i can do to help out on this, keep in mind i've not modded the ships graphicaly before!

I'm downloading patch beta 6 full now and hope to have it all installed new by this evening, so should be available for 'duty' over the next day or two.

Welcome Back! :gday I trust you had a good sailing vacation.

Technically, working on the flags is simple. All that is needed is GMViewer and TOOL. As I see it, the problem is that there are a bunch of unwritten rules that need to be re learned. Anyone up for a good mystery? :treas

AFAIK the light frigates all use the same rigging. Armada did some rigging work on them and if he is like me, he did one and then copied the rigging from it to the others. For instance, I did 5 heavy brigs and the only difference between them now are the hulls. Hmm. If the packet brig does not have the problem, but the heavies do, then then putting the packet brig flag layout on the heavies might cure them. :nerbz

Oops. :eek:ops2 If I changed the PB to have the same flags as the HB, then that should fix it. Right? BRB. :nk

Well, let us be surprised! :))

Here are three versions of the Packet Brig.

One version has only the mast flags changed to be like the Heavy Brig.

One version has its spanker flag removed, and nothing else changed.

One version has mast flags changed to be like the Heavy Brig and also its spanker flag removed.

Any volunteers? :whipa

i suppose i could try out the flags. who's up for the pennant mod? since i'm assuming you didn't remove the whole sail.

I'm trying to do the one with mast and spanker changes. I'm so whacked out from allergies this will probably take quite a while.

3.5 hours later : Yeah sure...... I already picked up a Packet Brig, but haven't managed to knock a mast off yet. This one is only showing a pennant on the main mast.

That light frigate is Corvette5_44 and it has the same flag/pennant layout as the heavy brig except that is also has the same spanker/flag layout as the packet brig. It used to have its flag on a separate flagpole on the stern.

Note that if by re-rigging the number of flags on a ship changes, ships_init.c needs to be updated accordingly.

In my experience rerigging doesn't change the number of flags, but messing with the flags/pennants does strange things. I do not understand the rules yet.

Oh yeah. The packet brig does not show a flag/pennant on the foremast in stock form. I just found a screenie. But it does have them both there in tool and GMViewer.

I found a lugger with 2 flag/pennants on the main mast.

Note that if by re-rigging the number of flags on a ship changes, ships_init.c needs to be updated accordingly.

After looking around in ships.init.c and comparing that to what I see in game, I don't think the ships.init.c works.

For instance, it calls for the packet brig to have a pennant on mast2 and both a pennant and ensign on mast 3. What it has in unmodified form is nothing on mast 2 and an ensign on mast 3.

couldn't that simply be the cause of thise whole thing? the fact that stock ships don't have the problem would also fit in with that file, since it seems unlikely that those values would have needed changing.

After looking around in ships.init.c and comparing that to what I see in game, I don't think the ships.init.c works.

For instance, it calls for the packet brig to have a pennant on mast2 and both a pennant and ensign on mast 3. What it has in unmodified form is nothing on mast 2 and an ensign on mast 3.
That often happens when there are missing locators from either the 'flag' or 'penn' group, especially when no 'penn' locators have been added in the first place.
However, I've found that you sometimes need to play around a bit with the entries in ships_init.c before you get the flags in the right places.
For instance, the masts aren't always recognised in the usual order (mast1 at the bow, mast3/4 at the stern), so some trial and error is needed to sort them out. :facepalm
It's frustrating work which I've sometimes had to do when porting pgargon's ships, but in the end it usually gives the right outcome.

As an example, look at Victory1's entry. You'll notice the flags don't look anything like they should do.
Mast1.Flag2 corresponds to the spanker ensign, which you wouldn't expect, but it works. :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back