• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons: Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first reaction when reading that is: This is insane!

What is turning this program into scrambled eggs? More experiments required.

I've no idea why it's that complicated in some cases. It really defies all logic, and it's a pain for sure. :modding

I now have the ships.init.c and everything else set up on the packet brig exactly like the heavy brig. The ships.init.c does appear to work, but poorly. When I removed the line for the spanker flag the pennant on the foremast (mast2) reappeared. Also it has been in 4 battles so far and has yet to lose a mast.

I got results. I got graphics anomalies, but mild. Before that a heavy brig lost a mast and a few GA showed up then, but I marked that up to it being Bridgetown. More testing.

It's important that the number of flags/pennants in ships_init.c matches the number on the actual model.
As Armada points out, the order doesn't necessary need to match.
I'm not sure why, but I always assumed it was because the masts are loaded in a different order for that ship.
Possibly because the mast geometry locators on that ship are in a different order.
Also, ALL masts that have flags MUST have one set of penn and one set of flag locators, even if one set is not going to be used.

The exception is ships that have ONLY flag locators, but those then MUST have a line refShip.Flags.NoPennants = true; .
The pennants have now been added for all ships, so this line should now only be needed for the Soleil Royal,
since her model files don't allow us to add penn locators to all models that have flag locators.
I just noticed that she doesn't have that line, so that must be added in her ships_init.c entry,
otherwise her presence at sea will mess up the other ships' flags.

Note that a ship must either have doubled flag AND penn locators in ALL instances OR not have any penn locators at all.
It's not possible to add penn locators to some masts but not others; that will cause issues.

Another thing I must mention is that errors with the flag and penn locators on one ship can cause problems on OTHER ships.
It is enough for a bugged ship to be in the scene and then all sorts of weird stuff could happen,
usually flags not appearing or appearing on the wrong masts.

Ah, there is a clue there. The packet brig had a spanker flag added that had flag locators only. It's time to add that back on with pennant locators too and see what happens. :nerbz

It looks like the answer lies in the ships.init.c. Experimenting with the packet brig, when the spanker flag was attached the pennant on mast2 disappeared. Swapping the flag in ships.init.c got all flags to show. Then in a battle with a heavy brig, a packet brig, a red sailed barque and a fleut4, no graphic anomalies were seen until the barque lost a mast. We already knew the heavy brigs are good, and now the packet brig is good too. Back to the barques I go.

How are we going to keep track of the good ships as they are repaired? With 250 ships this is a big project.

excellent news! basically, you can assume that all ships with numbered locators have the bug, if i remember correctly. that apparently includes the barque. as for the tracking, maybe a new topic is in order with a list in the opening post?

awesome! this sounds like the answer :D and yes i'll echo the call for a new thread for this with as much info as possible so we can all see exactly which ships need working on(currently i have no idea! I don't even know all the ships in the game!). In terms of leg work, if it is simply the monotonous case of editting text files, then just tell we where to go and what to do, give me a 'work list' etc and i'll be more than happy to help out :)

isn't the problem also partially the flag locators themselves? i've lost track of it a bit.

I just noticed that she doesn't have that line, so that must be added in her ships_init.c entry,

That would be my fault. I removed it when trying to add penn locators to the ship, but then forgot to put it back when setting the flags back to ensigns only.
Do all the penn locators need removing again, as well?

Then in a battle with a heavy brig, a packet brig, a red sailed barque and a fleut4, no graphic anomalies were seen until the barque lost a mast. We already knew the heavy brigs are good, and now the packet brig is good too. Back to the barques I go.
It definitely sounds like we're onto something here! This is great news! :woot

as for the tracking, maybe a new topic is in order with a list in the opening post?
If no-one has made one yet, I'll start one for you. What's the list of fixed ones so far (going by the model names in RESOURCE/MODELS/Ships)?

I was going to start a new thread, but couldn't come up with a name that wouldn't require two lines! More coffee needed.

Anyhoo, the ships that I know are good are:

Brig1
Brig2
Brig3
Brig3_44
Brig4_44
Packetbr
And what was changed in ships.init.c to make it work.

// KK -->
refShip.BI.Tex = 14;
refShip.BI.Pic = 2;
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck6";
refShip.CannonsDeck = 0;
refShip.CargoHold = 1;
refShip.Cabin = "Cabin3";
refShip.Flags.Mast2.Flag1 = FLAG_PENNANT;
refShip.Flags.Mast3.Flag1 = FLAG_ENSIGN;
refship.Flags.Mast3.flag2 = FLAG_PENNANT;
// <-- K

We know the European barques (barque1, barque2) are bad, but when I looked at them last night I saw nothing wrong. Probably the English barques also. (barque3_50, barque4_47).

Edit 2 hours later: In typical monkey see monkey do fashion I changed the flag and pennant names of barque1&2 to be the same as the heavy brigs in TOOL. Then went and replayed the battle that had both barques in it. Barque2 got demasted and there were no fractals! Until later when it sank. Then there were occasional flickers. And I mean just a few quick flickers. I put the modified files in my folder on the FTP for anyone to try out and confirm this.
Onward through the fog! :trio

That would be my fault. I removed it when trying to add penn locators to the ship, but then forgot to put it back when setting the flags back to ensigns only.
Do all the penn locators need removing again, as well?
Yes. :eek:ops2

Hello Pieter Boelen, I am a new member of piratesahoy, where can I download Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6? I have download it but the download link not worked.Can you put the download link?:)

You probably can't download Beta 1, or any variant of it, any more because the game has evolved a lot since then. You can now get Beta 3.2 here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads

Unfortunately there are some significant problems with Beta 3.2, so I've reverted to Beta 3.1, which is possible because I still had it on my computer from an older download. I don't know if Beta 3.1 is still available for download, and if so, where.

Beta 3.1 isn't available for download right now, but soon I'll try to address some of the egregious issues with it and, if necessary, return to the more dependable Beta 3.1 code.

There are various older versions still available here: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/piratesofthecaribbean/downloads.html

Edit: Hey, I just noticed somebody posted Beta 3.1 there as well. Now that is very kind indeed. :cheeky
You'll only need the 'small' Installer file (Part 1) as the large 2-GB 'archive' (Part 2) has not been changed since the release of Beta 3.

I have good memories of patch 6 and 7 but no longer have them. A lot has changed since then, mostly for the better. The current economy is a mess but the game is still playable, you just can not smuggle or carry your own cargo and expect to make a profit.

The new versions have more and better ships, more locations, and are more detailed in general. They also play better with less Graphic Anomalies and crashes.

Thanks for your information Grey Roger and Pieter Boelen.I want Build 14 Beta 1patch 6 because I want to play the story of Jack Sparrow and I search for it in Google and the result brings me to the moddb site.I look the pictures that HMS Dauntless and HMS Interceptor boarded at the Port Royal and the HMS Interceptor guarded based on the movie.Thats why I want this patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back