• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved New Horizons startup crash

SvF1k

Landlubber
Hello mates!
Years ago I played Build 13, it was great and fun experience and now I was going to try latest version. So, I installed PoTC outside Program Files (C:\Games exactly) and then New Horizons. Unfortunately I have a crash during start:

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
InitDevice::CreateDevice
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value
ERROR: Techniques: Find duplicate technique name: radeon8500sea

Build 13 and vanilla version works like a charm. My config:Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo
T5450, GeForce 8600 GTM, 3 GB Ram.

I wonder what's going on... :wp

You mean compile.log additionaly, sir? Well, it simply said:

Gauging: StartGauging

I have no error.log, even after changes in engine.ini...:

tracefilesoff = 0
[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1
;tracefiles = 0

Last edited:
Unfortunately - no, nothing else.

Now my system log said this:

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value

Dammit. Zero clues whatsoever. That's rare, that is.
What folder did you install to? Try to reinstall to a folder with perhaps less Windows Security Stupidity.

Where did you download Build 14 beta 3 from and did you get both part 1 and part 2?

I've downloaded mod from moddb.com. Anyway, after changing location to desktop - it works ! Thank you guys :dance

Edit: I found a source of problem - it's not a location, but a resolution thing: when I set my system resolution (1400x900) - game keeps crashing. However if I set any lower - it runs smoothly.

Last edited:
Strange that it didn't work before, but glad to hear it is OK now. :cheers

I can confirm that 1960x1080 crashes the game 1600x900 works fine. The problem only appears in fullscreen mode for me, in windowed native game works fine.

Last edited:
Huh. One would think it would run best at its native resolution. I have been playing at 1920 x 1080 for years with no more crashes than the next person.

*sigh*
same issue. here is my log.

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
This device does not support the queried technique

tried adjusting the resolution as above, with no success.
in stalled in C/games/POTC

Intel core 2 duo cpu
e7200 @ 2.53 GHz
2.53GHz, 0.99GB of RAM

machine too old to run new tricks?
thanks for the help.
brian

"This device does not support the queried technique"

Are you using Intel graphics? If so you need to install the Intel graphics patch, which is in the Build 14 Beta 3.1 installer.

Run the EXE until you get here. POTCinstaller no main.jpg Uncheck Main files but DO check Intel graphics fix and continue normally.

If you do not have Intel graphics, then you probably need to buy a modern video card.

perhaps a new card purchase is in my future. :/
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
This device does not support the queried technique
ERROR: Techniques: Find duplicate technique name: radeon8500sea
thanks again for the help and direction,
brian

wana know a quicker fix ?((disable the dam intel video card when u have a nvidia or any other video card intel suck in compere to the others ) i had once a intel video card form 2007 the high end one then i put nvidia from the same year this one was low end ,4-5 times better , better grafics and speed)like 2-3 times

wana know a quicker fix ?((disable the dam intel video card when u have a nvidia or any other video card intel suck in compere to the others ) i had once a intel video card form 2007 the high end one then i put nvidia from the same year this one was low end ,4-5 times better , better grafics and speed)like 2-3 times
Do you know how to disable the Intel GFX card properly when you have a dedicated one?
People have been having difficulties with that....

Back