• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons Wiki

@Robert Nutter, I have merged your old account with your new account mate, all your old forum posts should now appear under your new account. You might double check all your info just to make sure it is correct. Let me know if there are any issues.

Cheers Thagarr! That's perfect. None so far, though i didn't have a status window on my other account...and now I do! Possible glitch?

@Pieter Boelen, in the ACP, look up a user, it's under a pull-down menu called Actions above the IP address tab.

@Robert Nutter, I am not 100% sure what you mean by "status window" mate. Xenforo, the new forum software, has some significant changes over the old version, I think you will find it much nicer to work with. Are you referring to the user status box on the right under your Nick menu? :unsure

With the account I made on Sunday, I didn't have the yellow status box where you enter your status...I would've bought it up before but thought that must be a premium member thing these days or something. Now you've reverted my account, it's back! :rolleyes:

Yup, that is because of your post count! You instantly had 270+ posts when I merged accounts, that is why it changed. :onya

I see! Well thanks for that, it's nice to have my original join date too as I feel like too much of a noob in all other respects :D

Very cool! But can you return the part about Types of Variables?
I saw that earlier today and it actually told me something I didn't already know, so seems quite relevant to me... :wp

Curios, what was it you didnt know?

I always did wonder about the difference between 'ref' and 'aref'. :doff

To explain it even more ;).

ref pchar = getmaincharacter();

aref apchar = &pchar;

I Need to go more into it but I believe also ref is sending the value while aref is sending a pointer, but Need to look into that a bit more.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have type conversion functions listed here. All I remember is sti, stf, and makeint :)
sti, stf, makeint and makefloat are about the only ones you Need.
But I will note them and probably I will also explain makeref and makearef.

Reactions: jsv

aref apchar = &pchar;

I Need to go more into it but I believe also ref is sending the value while aref is sending a pointer, but Need to look into that a bit more.
That is still a bit Chinese to me.... :oops:

aref apchar = &pchar;

Ok, now I'm getting confusing as well. Here is this CalcCrewPayment I'm fixing, which is declared as
Code:
int CalcCrewPayment(ref mchref, int crewQ)

And it's called like this:

Code:
int CalcSquadronPayment(ref mchref)
{
    int PaymentQ = CalcOfficerPayOwed(mchref);
    PaymentQ += CalcCrewPayment(&mchref, GetSquadronTotalCrewQuantity(mchref));
    return PaymentQ;
}
After what you've written I would expected the first argument of CalcCrewPayment to be aref :confused:

I'm also confused.

ref PChar = &characters[GetMainCharacterIndex]

But then what is &PChar? That doesn't make much sense to me....

Ok, now I'm getting confusing as well. Here is this CalcCrewPayment I'm fixing, which is declared as
Code:
int CalcCrewPayment(ref mchref, int crewQ)

And it's called like this:

Code:
int CalcSquadronPayment(ref mchref)
{
    int PaymentQ = CalcOfficerPayOwed(mchref);
    PaymentQ += CalcCrewPayment(&mchref, GetSquadronTotalCrewQuantity(mchref));
    return PaymentQ;
}
After what you've written I would expected the first argument of CalcCrewPayment to be aref :confused:
I think the use of the '&' there or not makes no difference. In fact, I've been removing it from similar instances here and there because it is just confusing me.
As far as I've always been able to tell, there is very little functional difference between 'ref' and 'aref'.

Mostly always, I use 'ref'; my only recent exception to that is this one from yesterday:
Needs Testing - Skill Bonuses not working for Equippable Items | PiratesAhoy!
Originally I had 'aref arItm' as input there, but eventually figured that just 'string itemName' would be simpler in regular use.

Don't think to much about it now, i will rxplain it better later. In most cases it doesn't matter at all what you use. Only with events it sometimes can be tricky or if you pass a variable to a function without returning it but you do manipulate it.

Back