• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New PotC Film Navy Characters

Ah I see how that works now. Looks good.

Basically that will do for now haha. Thibk I've spent to much time on accuracy as have u lot helping me haha. I'll sort that out tomorrow probably.

I'm looking to upload by end of week. Hopefully haha. Just need some time to finish off this and the animated heads.

Thanks again

My ideal look would be:

Midshipman
Junior Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Post Captain
Etc etc

Those 3 lieutenant ranks basically being specific to him (such a pest)

P.S its Groves btw not Gillette :D

I don't see any simple way of doing exactly that without lots of strange modifications to the code.
Unless we make the third lieutenant rank always "Lieutenant Commander" instead of "Senior".
But I understand from @Grey Roger that wouldn't be entirely correct. Right?

My ideal look would be:

Midshipman
Junior Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Post Captain
Isn't that what we have now anyway?

I don't see any simple way of doing exactly that without lots of strange modifications to the code.
Unless we make the third lieutenant rank always "Lieutenant Commander" instead of "Senior".
But I understand from @Grey Roger that wouldn't be entirely correct. Right?
Before we get too carried away with this, bear in mind that it's really only correct for "Revolutions", "Napoleonic" and maybe the late part of "Colonial Powers". According to that Wikipedia article, before 1740 the Royal Navy had a much simpler rank system (just Captain, Master and Lieutenant) which won't work at all well with our promotion system. And I've no idea what anybody else's navies did (except America, they basically copied the Royal Navy as it was in 1776).

Third Lieutenant is the junior one. He's about as far away from being "Commander" or "Senior" as it's possible to be without being a Midshipman. :D You probably want to consider First Lieutenant instead. Look at our Dutch ranks for comparison: Derde Luitenant, Tweede Luitenant, Eerste Luitenant, which I'm guessing translate to Third Lieutenant, Second Lieutenant and First Lieutenant. By that reckoning, Dutch Eerste Luitenant is the equivalent of Britain's Commander at the moment. (Below them is Adjutant Onderofficier, whose current British equivalent is Junior Lieutenant. Perhaps make that Acting Lieutenant, which in reality would be someone who had earned a promotion from his captain but had not yet taken his examination for lieutenant and been formally promoted. This happens to Hornblower in our story.)

There's no need to worry about whether a Lieutenant is a Commander. All our Lieutenants are Commanders since you're always in command of a ship. xD

Isn't that what we have now anyway?
We have "Senior Lieutenant" where @Andouce has "Lieutenant Commander".
For England, we could change it to:
"Acting Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant Commander"
"Commander"
"Post Captain"

Possibly keep the current ranks for the USA just to distinguish the two?

I'm not too fussed either way. As long as we establish one ranking system and be done with it.
We've changed it back and forth more times than I care to remember and it seems quite pointless to me to keep changing it ad infinitum.

We have "Senior Lieutenant" where @Andouce has "Lieutenant Commander".
For England, we could change it to:
"Acting Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant Commander"
"Commander"
"Post Captain"

Possibly keep the current ranks for the USA just to distinguish the two?

I'm not too fussed either way. As long as we establish one ranking system and be done with it.
We've changed it back and forth more times than I care to remember and it seems quite pointless to me to keep changing it ad infinitum.

Well I am happy as Long as it remains historically accurate. Therefore that would be preferred.

The Americans did basically copy the British for almost everything militarily anyway and just renamed a couple and added ones in here and there.
What Mr Grey is probably true. I think I will just keep it the way I have it the now specific to this character. That way we can keep the ranks historical.

As far as I am aware anyway British Royal Navy Ranks back then (late 1700s/1800s) were like:

"Midshipman"
"Acting Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant" - Depending on size of ship. E.g Frigate was entitled to max of 3 and numbered accordingly like 1st, 2nd, 3rd Lieutenants. A First Rate Ship of the Line could have up to 6! :p
"Commander" (shortened after 1790s from "Master and Commander"
"Captain"
"Commodore"
"Rear Admiral"
"Vice Admiral"
"Admiral"
"Admiral of the Fleet"

And yes @Pieter Boelen . It doesn't make a huge difference after all it is a minor thing. You guys have done well as it is with the entire build mod itself :)

ATM I have it working for the companion version of Groves that you recieve anyway because they will never change rank. So I made him rank 3 which is Lieutenant. Added the title of "Commander" and it reads fine.

The only reason I was asking for that specific code earlier was for the main story character version of him because if you decided to play as him he would start at Lieutenant Commander. But when he gets promoted it would then look silly.

As he would go from a Lieutenant Commander to Senior Lieutenant :S
So I think for now I will make him start at rank 3 as a Lieutenant Commander.

Is there anyway I could perhaps make him skip rank 4 of Senior Lieutenant? and obviously rank up when the necessary experience or threshold was gained for a Captain? That would resolve my problem for the main character entirely haha.

Cheers you lot! :)

Last edited:
Is there anyway I could perhaps make him skip rank 4 of Senior Lieutenant? and obviously rank up when the necessary experience or threshold was gained for a Captain? That would resolve my problem for the main character entirely haha.
Not really.

I see two reasonable solutions:

1: Add SetRankTitle(ch, TranslateString("", "Commander")); at the promotion to Junior Lieutenant.
Then at the promotion to Commander, you execute DeleteAttribute(ch, "title"); which resets that again.
So your main character would then become:
"Midshipman"
"Junior Lieutenant Commander"
"Lieutenant Commander"
"Senior Lieutenant Commander"
"Commander"
"Post Captain"

2: Change the English ranks to:
"Acting Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant Commander"
"Commander"
"Post Captain"

If @Grey Roger thinks it makes sense, we can go for option #2 which would be the most generic and code-simple option available.

I actually like Option 2, Doesn't look to bad at all plus it makes it more condensed version of the ranks used.

For the moment I will do option 1.

As for the character animated heads and the model texture changes. I'll need to practice more to get them working. I am useless at it :(

Tried the whole conversion of adding a new face to one of the textures (Midshipman4's face is ideal for gillette for example. Because it is young looking. But when I replaced the area on the lieutenant model I am currently using (like number 2 i think), game just crashes when entering with him. So clearly I am not making exact measurements or whatever. I just cannot be bothered putting all that time into it and I can see why no new models are really added as such cause it is a time consuming thing for sure.

As for the character animated heads and the model texture changes. I'll need to practice more to get them working. I am useless at it :(
What is the problem with the heads? Should just be a matter of copying some existing files, no?
Of course the head won't resemble the specific character you're after, but that can only be accomplish using texturing.
And as you have found already, characters are very hard to do well.

Tried the whole conversion of adding a new face to one of the textures (Midshipman4's face is ideal for gillette for example. Because it is young looking. But when I replaced the area on the lieutenant model I am currently using (like number 2 i think), game just crashes when entering with him. So clearly I am not making exact measurements or whatever. I just cannot be bothered putting all that time into it and I can see why no new models are really added as such cause it is a time consuming thing for sure.
There should be no game crashing from changing some textures. Must be something else wrong.
If you post the files you have issues with, we can see if anything stands out as being obviously wrong.
The procedure is quite straightforward; it is the artistry that is the real issue.

We do have a few fairly new character models, such as Michiel de Ruyter and Francis Drake plus some PotC film characters.
All Jack Rackham's work.

What is the problem with the heads? Should just be a matter of copying some existing files, no?
Of course the head won't resemble the specific character you're after, but that can only be accomplish using texturing.
And as you have found already, characters are very hard to do well.

There should be no game crashing from changing some textures. Must be something else wrong.
If you post the files you have issues with, we can see if anything stands out as being obviously wrong.
The procedure is quite straightforward; it is the artistry that is the real issue.

We do have a few fairly new character models, such as Michiel de Ruyter and Francis Drake plus some PotC film characters.
All Jack Rackham's work.

Oh right? The character heads then I shall do haha if it is a case of copying just as I did with the models and renaming them to something else.

That is fine then. Yeah I will leave the texture thing at the moment. I can always do that after I actually upload this if I manage to sort it out. I am just useless with it :D (Sorry :( )

EDIT: Ready to upload.

Last edited:
Changelog - Will be updated if anything changes

New:

- 11 New Characters added.
Currently using default models. Each has storylines attached to model. Some are Specific. New portraits are included. Each model/character also gains appropriate items/ships and companions at each rank accordingly.

- Admiral James Norrington - (New Character) H.M.S Endeavour
- Admiral Theodore Groves - (New Character) H.M.S Endeavour - Receives Commodore Norrington as an Officer
- Admiral Andrew Gillette - (New Character) H.M.S Dauntless - Receives Commodore Norrington as an Officer

- Commodore Theodore Groves - (New Character) H.M.S Dauntless
- Commodore Andrew Gillette - (New Character) H.M.S Dauntless

- Captain Theodore Groves (EITC) - (New Character)
- Captain Theodore Groves - (New Character)
- Captain Andrew Gillette - (New Character)

- Commander James Norrington - (Change) Receives Lieutenant Commander Groves as an Officer
- Commander Andrew Gillette - (Additional) Receives Lieutenant Commander Groves as an Officer

- Lieutenant Commander Theodore Groves - (New Character) H.M.S Interceptor - Receives Lieutenant Gillette as an Officer

- Lieutenant James Norrington - (Change) Receives Lieutenant Andrew Gillette as an Officer
- Lieutenant Theodore Groves (EITC) - (New Character)
- Lieutenant Andrew Gillette - (New Character) - H.M.S Interceptor
- Added new checks within the Freeplaystoryline to add appropriate uniforms to new characters on starting with them as main character.

Changes:
- Changed National Ranking System slightly

- If the Period is anything prior to Colonial Powers then
- Britain's Captaincy Rank = "Post Captain"
- Britain's Commander Rank = "Master and Commander"

- If the Period is anything after Colonial Powers and including then
- Britain's Captaincy Rank = "Captain"
- Britain's Commander Rank = "Commander"
- Changed Periods slightly

- In period "Golden Age of Piracy" (Because GB formed in 1707 and period goes through it so thought makes sense)
- Queen Anne of Great England > Queen Anne of Great Britain
- England > Great Britain

- In periods Colonial Powers and Revolutions
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain > Great Britain (The U.K was not formed until 1801, left as UK
in Napoleonic period)
Music: (Optional)

- Added new music tracks into the game and expanded existing music selection in various locations with existing tracks for more variety.

Not really.

I see two reasonable solutions:

1: Add SetRankTitle(ch, TranslateString("", "Commander")); at the promotion to Junior Lieutenant.
Then at the promotion to Commander, you execute DeleteAttribute(ch, "title"); which resets that again.
So your main character would then become:
"Midshipman"
"Junior Lieutenant Commander"
"Lieutenant Commander"
"Senior Lieutenant Commander"
"Commander"
"Post Captain"

2: Change the English ranks to:
"Acting Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant"
"Lieutenant Commander"
"Commander"
"Post Captain"

If @Grey Roger thinks it makes sense, we can go for option #2 which would be the most generic and code-simple option available.
"Lieutenant Commander" wasn't a formal rank within our time period. If we ever expand to Age of Steam or WW1 then it may be appropriate. xD At the moment we're using "Senior Lieutenant", which is probably more accurate.

"Lieutenant Commander" wasn't a formal rank within our time period.
So.... technically that rank shouldn't be used at all then? In that case, my option #1 above should suffice to set it for @Andouce's characters and we can keep the default ranks as they are now.

- Changed National Ranking System slightly

- If the Period is anything prior to Colonial Powers then
- Britain's Captaincy Rank = "Post Captain"
- Britain's Commander Rank = "Master and Commander"

- If the Period is anything after Colonial Powers and including then
- Britain's Captaincy Rank = "Captain"
- Britain's Commander Rank = "Commander"
- Changed Periods slightly

- In period "Golden Age of Piracy" (Because GB formed in 1707 and period goes through it so thought makes sense)
- Queen Anne of Great England > Queen Anne of Great Britain
- England > Great Britain

- In periods Colonial Powers and Revolutions
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain > Great Britain (The U.K was not formed until 1801, left as UK
in Napoleonic period)
@Grey Roger: Can you provide some historical feedback on the above proposed change? Should I implement them for the next update or is it better to skip?
I don't remember "Master & Commander" being a formal navy rank; thought it was more of an informal name for anyone in command of a ship.

The addition of "Commander" to various ranks as shown in option #1 is superfluous - the rank title would be as it is now, and you're a commander by virtue of the fact that you're commanding a ship. ;)

If a distinction between "Post Captain" and "Captain" is to be made then it should perhaps be the other way round. "Post Captain" was a captain of a rated ship. Since the rating system dates back to 1600, "Post Captain" might have gone back that far as well, or it might have been introduced when ranks were overhauled in the 1740's - neither of the references I've been looking for seems clear on this. If a distinction is to be made based on period then I'd have them the other way round - "Post Captain" for "Colonial Powers" and later, plain "Captain" for earlier.

"Master and Commander" was basically any lieutenant in command of a ship. The term was introduced in the 1760's and replaced simply by "commander" in the 1790's. If it exists at all in our game then it should only be in "Revolutions".

What we have now is:
Midshipman
Junior Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Senior Lieutenant
Commander
Post Captain
Commodore
Rear Admiral
Vice Admiral
Admiral
Admiral of the Fleet
First Lord of the Admiralty

Apart from replacing "Junior Lieutenant" with "Acting Lieutenant", I'd leave that alone. There are more significant changes to be made if we want this to be more accurate.

Realistically the top two ranks ought to go. The First Lord of the Admiralty (or Lord High Admiral in "Early Explorers" and "Spanish Main") was and is an administrative and political position, not a naval rank attained by promotion. The highest naval rank is Admiral of the Fleet, there was only one (until 1863, when the Navy decided that since the Army had six Field Marshals, it should have more than one top man as well), and he wouldn't be sailing around the Caribbean. That, incidentally, ought probably to apply to other navies too - the top two ranks would be based somewhere in their respective nations' capitals, not in the Caribbean.

British naval uniforms also didn't exist before the 1740's, so if we're overhauling "Nk.c", that's probably more significant than quibbling over rank names. ;)

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_ranks,_rates,_and_uniforms_of_the_18th_and_19th_centuries
http://www.nmrn-portsmouth.org.uk/sites/default/files/Naval Ranks.pdf

Apart from replacing "Junior Lieutenant" with "Acting Lieutenant", I'd leave that alone. There are more significant changes to be made if we want this to be more accurate.
Fine by me! Less changes is better as far as I'm concerned. :cheeky

What about those nation name changes that @Andouce proposes above?

Realistically the top two ranks ought to go. The First Lord of the Admiralty (or Lord High Admiral in "Early Explorers" and "Spanish Main") was and is an administrative and political position, not a naval rank attained by promotion. The highest naval rank is Admiral of the Fleet, there was only one (until 1863, when the Navy decided that since the Army had six Field Marshals, it should have more than one top man as well), and he wouldn't be sailing around the Caribbean. That, incidentally, ought probably to apply to other navies too - the top two ranks would be based somewhere in their respective nations' capitals, not in the Caribbean.
It should take a LONG time for the player to even get to those. And I like keeping them for quest purposes in case any characters are needed with those ranks.

For example, when you start the game as Naval Officer, I think I had the highest available rank tell you about your promotion.
Reason being that even if you would start the game as Admiral, you would still be given your promotion by a character of equal or a higher rank.

British naval uniforms also didn't exist before the 1740's, so if we're overhauling "Nk.c", that's probably more significant than quibbling over rank names. ;)
That is already in place, isn't it? The navy uniforms shouldn't appear in the first few periods. :no

I like all that has been said so far. Keep it realistic and historical as possible.

In regards to the Nation changes, as in the names and such. I think that it works.

Queen Anne is referred to anyway as Queen Anne of Great Britain. Not Great England, no such thing existed.

Also the fact that you have her as the monarch and Great Britain was founded in 1707 then it makes sense to change to that. Plus the period starts in 1680, but 1707 is pretty much bang in the middle so really it is a choice of what you want that period to reflect more of. The later stage or earlier.

P.S - I think the Lieutenant Commander was only there to really distinguish the lieutenant who was second in Command really. It is a "dodgy" rank however in the current system I think keeping it as I have it now, specific to Character Groves is fine as It doesn't make any other appearances.

EDIT: while we are discussing actions and that so to speak. Do you think having more general quests like in AOP2. eg. Governor asks to deal with bandits, enemy troops landing or something like that. More land orientated quests in the mix as opposed to all deal with enemy ships?

Would add more play to your role. Would probs be a B15 implementation perhaps?

Last edited:
What about those nation name changes that @Andouce proposes above?
No objection here. A peek at the Wikipedia article about the United Kingdom indicates that although the term "United Kingdom of Great Britain" had some informal use right from the time of Queen Anne, the formal title wasn't changed until the Acts of Union of 1800.

It should take a LONG time for the player to even get to those. And I like keeping them for quest purposes in case any characters are needed with those ranks.
By the time I finished the "Bartolomeu" storyline I was personally in charge of the English, Portuguese and Dutch navies, mainly because in that version of the game privateers still used naval ranks the whole way up. So it's entirely possible within the lifetime of a single game to reach the top rank.

For example, when you start the game as Naval Officer, I think I had the highest available rank tell you about your promotion.
Reason being that even if you would start the game as Admiral, you would still be given your promotion by a character of equal or a higher rank.
Option 1 is to restrict starting characters to lesser admirals, e.g. Rear Admiral or Vice Admiral, so that a full Admiral can give you your briefing. Option 2 is to allow a non-playable Admiral of the Fleet to brief you, though in reality he wouldn't travel across the Atlantic just to see you. Option 3 is that you get your briefing from a Midshipman who is delivering the letter from the Admiral of the Fleet.

I like all that has been said so far. Keep it realistic and historical as possible.

In regards to the Nation changes, as in the names and such. I think that it works.

Queen Anne is referred to anyway as Queen Anne of Great Britain. Not Great England, no such thing existed.
Correct. "Great Britain" can refer either politically to the earlier union between England and Scotland, or geographically to the big island which holds England, Scotland and Wales. "Great England" may exist in the minds of confused individuals who can't tell the difference between England and the UK, but nowhere else. xD

P.S - I think the Lieutenant Commander was only there to really distinguish the lieutenant who was second in Command really. It is a "dodgy" rank however in the current system I think keeping it as I have it now, specific to Character Groves is fine as It doesn't make any other appearances.
The lieutenant who was second in command was the First Lieutenant.

Am I correct in guessing that Groves is an associate of Norrington? If so, that's a character from a film which includes undead skeletons and an East India Company operating in the West Indies; compared to that, a minor error in a rank name is insignificant. xD

EDIT: while we are discussing actions and that so to speak. Do you think having more general quests like in AOP2. eg. Governor asks to deal with bandits, enemy troops landing or something like that. More land orientated quests in the mix as opposed to all deal with enemy ships?

Would add more play to your role. Would probs be a B15 implementation perhaps?
I believe @Levis had some thoughts regarding the governor asking you to deal with smugglers (already implemented?) and random raids on towns. But remember that the job of a naval officer is enemy ships. If the governor is asking you to take on land enemies then you have to wonder why he's not using the colony's army, whose job is to defend the colony from bandits, enemy troops landing etc...

No objection here. A peek at the Wikipedia article about the United Kingdom indicates that although the term "United Kingdom of Great Britain" had some informal use right from the time of Queen Anne, the formal title wasn't changed until the Acts of Union of 1800.
Alright then; I'll implement his changes on that then. :doff

By the time I finished the "Bartolomeu" storyline I was personally in charge of the English, Portuguese and Dutch navies, mainly because in that version of the game privateers still used naval ranks the whole way up. So it's entirely possible within the lifetime of a single game to reach the top rank.
The speed of rank progression might be different now that I've done some massive rewrites of everything related to gaining points.
And Privateers don't use navy ranks, so the highest name there is a bit more realistic.
When you're in the navy, you can only gain ranks with ONE nation, not three. :cheeky

Option 1 is to restrict starting characters to lesser admirals, e.g. Rear Admiral or Vice Admiral, so that a full Admiral can give you your briefing. Option 2 is to allow a non-playable Admiral of the Fleet to brief you, though in reality he wouldn't travel across the Atlantic just to see you. Option 3 is that you get your briefing from a Midshipman who is delivering the letter from the Admiral of the Fleet.
When you choose an "admiral" character model, you start as the lowest rank admiral anyway.
I don't see a need for further changes right now.

Correct. "Great Britain" can refer either politically to the earlier union between England and Scotland, or geographically to the big island which holds England, Scotland and Wales. "Great England" may exist in the minds of confused individuals who can't tell the difference between England and the UK, but nowhere else. xD
:rofl

Am I correct in guessing that Groves is an associate of Norrington? If so, that's a character from a film which includes undead skeletons and an East India Company operating in the West Indies; compared to that, a minor error in a rank name is insignificant. xD
Yep, Groves is a PotC film character. :yes

I believe @Levis had some thoughts regarding the governor asking you to deal with smugglers (already implemented?) and random raids on towns. But remember that the job of a naval officer is enemy ships. If the governor is asking you to take on land enemies then you have to wonder why he's not using the colony's army, whose job is to defend the colony from bandits, enemy troops landing etc...
Indeed @Levis mae a start on that, but didn't finish it yet.

Actually @Andouce, why don't you make a new thread on http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/build-15-brainstorming.189/ with further ideas for navy gameplay?
Some of the main things I can think of:
- Governor gives different missions than just "sink the coast raider". An obvious option would be : "Capture this town".
- Add "Naval Academies" for all nations where you can JOIN the navy during the game and hire additional NAVY officers.
- Perhaps even add an "Examination for Lieutenant" as part of the regular navy gameplay.

Since the Tea destroyed in the Boston Tea Party in 1773 belonged to the British East India Company - it is not to far fetched to have the Company operating in the West Indies.

http://www.bostonteapartyship.com/boston-tea-party-facts :p

:drunk

I love everything mentioned after that lol.

I agree that in regards to the quests given it would put in question why the Governor isn't using land army true. I shall make a new thread and put suggestions in there. i like @Pieter Boelen suggestions already ^^

P.S And in regard to the "Great Britain". As I am from Scotland too, (Which many uneducated and confused people do not really understand the geography of the British Isles). You have no idea how much it fustrates me, when people refer to our now "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" as simply "England".........:no :rofl

Question @Andouce about this section of code:
Code:
  if (GetMySimpleName(PChar) == "James Norrington")
   {
     GiveModel2Player("brtlut3_18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("brtlut2_18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("brtlut1_18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("brtmds1_18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("brtmds2_18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("brtmds3_18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("brtmds4_18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("brtoffic18",false);
     GiveModel2Player("BrtSol18_2",false);
     GiveModel2Player("BrtSol18_5",false);
   }

if (pchar.model == "Groves_EITC")
   {
     GiveModel2Player("Eitc_lt3_47",false);
     GiveModel2Player("Eitc_lt2_47",false);
   }

if (pchar.model == "GrovesCpt_EITC")
   {
     GiveModel2Player("Eitc_lt3_47",false);
     GiveModel2Player("Eitc_lt2_47",false);
   }

if (pchar.model == "Groves")
   {
   }

if (pchar.model == "GrovesCpt")
   {
   }

if (pchar.model == "GrovesC")
   {
   }

if (pchar.model == "GrovesA")
   {
   }

if  (pchar.model == "Gillette")
   {
   }
   if (pchar.model == "GilletteCpt")
   {
   }
   if (pchar.model == "GilletteC")
   {
   }
   if (pchar.model == "GilletteA")
   {
   }
What is your intention with that?
I wonder if the same can be accomplished with some simplified code.
For example, by giving ALL navy uniforms to ALL navy players so they can change hired officers into apparent navy ones?
We can use HasSubStr(pchar.model, "EITC") to give additional EITC models to those characters.

Also, sections of code like this:
Code:
    if (pchar.model == "Groves")
           {
           PlayerModel = "GrovesCpt";
           }
           if (pchar.model == "Gillette")
           {
           PlayerModel = "GilletteCpt";
           }
           if (pchar.model == "Groves_EITC")
           {
           PlayerModel = "GrovesCpt_EITC";
           }
Are much shorter like this:
Code:
          switch(pchar.model)
           {
             case "Groves":     PlayerModel = "GrovesCpt";   break;
             case "Gillette":   PlayerModel = "GilletteCpt";   break;
             case "Groves_EITC":   PlayerModel = "GrovesCpt_EITC";   break;
           }
:doff

For the model-changes, this should work as well and fits in a bit better with the code that is already there:
Code:
        case 6: // Post Captain
           switch(GetMySimpleName(PChar))
           {
             case "Jack Sparrow":
               PlayerModel = "47_Cptsparrow";
             break;
             case "James Norrington":
               PlayerModel = "Cpnorrington";
             break;
             case "Andrew Gillette":
               PlayerModel = "GilletteCpt";