• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New Replaced Towns

So what should we do with them?

• Total voters

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
So some people like them. Some people don't. There are some issues that still need to be addressed.
And some that are difficult to tackle. So what do we do with them for the final Beta 3.3 release?

Keep in mind that the alternatives are either a "generic AoP town" or a "copied existing PotC town with different textures".

Havana has a new section in the back. Methinks Santo Domingo comes closest to fitting.

Ah! I did not notice that.But what about Santiago, that´s new to, I don´t see it in the Poll.
For me it is Tortuga and Oranjestad that worries me.:confused:

What bothers me is how many months (years?) Bartolomu O Portoguese spent working on this. It is still in the Alpha stage and he needs help.

Don´t You mean Santiago it´s new,not Havana.:eek:
Santiago too? Added to the poll; feel free to update your votes accordingly.
I haven't exactly been keeping up with all the developments myself, due to having far too much to do. :oops:

What bothers me is how many months (years?) Bartolomu O Portoguese spent working on this. It is still in the Alpha stage and he needs help.
Couple of months or so? I can't tell the modders what to spend their time doing. Clearly him and Jack Rackham thought it was worth doing.
Most things can probably be addressed. The only real issue that I am aware of would be the scale thing.

Huge barrels are now removed from Oranjestad. That should make a difference in appearance, right? :cheeky

Just had a look at all these locations and they do actually look pretty good.
Some weird effects with the walk patches, but a lot of work has already been done with Woodes Rogers-style teleports to get around that issue.
Not perfect, no. But it does work.

For me it is the scale and also the very poor resolution graphics. Stock POTC graphics are better.

Better?

Attachments

• sized down.jpg
    sized down.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 179
Well i cast my votes , and now democracy happens.

For my point of view the locations seem like theyre in progress , not finished sorry if that hurts somebodys fellings but that's how they feel to me like cake in the oven only half baked , i am still rely rely looking forward to the cake but its not done. for now we need locations that work smoothly, don't make you feel so tiny and don't confuse the heck out of you.

Work is being done to resize the doors by adjusting the textures. So that should improve things as far as scale is concerned.

The large barrels in Oranjestad are already gone.

The only other main weird thing are those walk patches. Probably not easily fixed, though the teleports do get around that problem.
I wonder if the teleports can be made automatic as soon as you step on them, so people won't have to press "Space" to walk on.

You are too optimistic Pieter. I do not want to play Gulliver's Travels as a Liliputian. Everything in Orangestad is out of scale, not just the barrels. Look at this ladder. In another city it is still too big but almost believable.
Beta3 2014-09-28 13-52-49-89.jpg

This is more funny than anything, but have you ever watched Forrest Gump"?
Beta3 2014-09-29 19-22-37-16.jpg Beta3 2014-09-29 19-22-37-16.jpg Beta3 2014-09-29 19-22-56-48.jpg Beta3 2014-09-29 19-23-09-06.jpg Beta3 2014-09-29 19-23-29-35.jpg

You are too optimistic Pieter. I do not want to play Gulliver's Travels as a Liliputian. Everything in Orangestad is out of scale, not just the barrels. Look at this ladder. In another city it is still too big but almost believable.
There is only so much we can do. I don't particularly want to have this work go to waste.
A lot of effort went into it by two well-respected modders. And it does add a lot of variety to the game, as opposed to seeing the same towns used on multiple islands.
Sure it isn't perfect, but then we aren't going to get perfect. Not on PotC anyway. That's what we're trying to accomplish with HoO! :wp

This is more funny than anything, but have you ever watched Forrest Gump"?
LOL! That is because of the rotation of the ship locators.
Sailing ships ashore don't "know" about the land and will just go straight. So if they are generated pointing towards the shore.... :rolleyes:

Say what you want but at this point I see it as a major downgrade and now just teleport around those places.

Because those stupid walk patches won't let you walk past them; needs to have something done to make it work, no?
Better automatic teleports than to require the player to remember to press "space".

Sure it isn't perfect, but then we aren't going to get perfect. Not on PotC anyway.
True, but I thought we were going for something like 'polished' or 'finished', ultimately. Or even 'consistent'.
I can't really say much since I haven't played the game for a long time now, but to me, consistency is important.
Admittedly though, that's extremely hard to achieve with the resources we now have for PotC.

Back