• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Santiago

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
At the end of "The Cartagena Firework", the heavy war galleon which you captured at Cartagena is repainted and renamed to New Santiago. As it happens, I had another similar ship which I'd taken off the Spanish some time ago and berthed at Sao Jorge, so I got to compare the two.

The New Santiago has less crew and HP than the regular version, and it's tier 3 whereas the regular version is tier 2. This isn't surprising when you look up "SP_BattleGalleon" and "PiratBattleGalleon" in "Ships_init.c". Is there a reason for the difference? Also, is there a reason why it's set to be Portuguese design when it's supposed to be a repaint of the Spanish ship you captured in Cartagena?

Is the PiratBattleGalleon a quest only ship? I can't remember now.

The basic "SP_BattleGalleon" has the usual "refShip.period" and "refShip.<nation>" lines in its definition, belongs exclusively to Spain, and can be encountered in random Spanish fleets. That's where I got my first one. Incidentally, look at the thread San Martin galleon; the ship shown there looks similar to this one, except that it's a plain wooden hull whereas "SP_BattleGalleon" has a red and white stripe along the side and a row of shields each side of the stern.

"PiratBattleGalleon" has no "refShip.period" or "refShip.<nation>" lines, but does have
Code:
refShip.CanBuy     = false; //Quest Ship!!
refShip.CanEncounter   = false; //Quest Ship!!
so it probably is a quest only ship. ;) I've no idea if it shows up in any other quests. The final log entry in "The Cartagena Firework" includes this:
"I asked to my crew to paint my colours in my 'New Santiago'."
So it's presumably supposed to be the same ship you captured in Cartagena with a new colour scheme - the stripe is red and black, and the shields look similar to some of the Personal and Pirate flags. No mention is made of modifying the ship or sacking some of the crew, which is why I wonder about the different specification in "Ships_init.c" and the fact that it is set to be Portuguese design.

Indeed it sounds like indeed she should be getting the same stats then.
But that is made complicated by the random element in the normal "SP_BattleGalleon". :facepalm

Obviously you won't get exactly the same ship. But what's puzzling me is, why intentionally give it different stats in the definition, and why make it Portuguese design when it's Spanish design? Basically, barring any objection from @Bartolomeu o Portugues I'm inclined to edit "Ships_init.c" to give it the same baseline stats as "SP_BattleGalleon", then change "quests_reaction.c" to read
Code:
GiveShip2Character(Pchar,"PiratBattleGalleon","New Santiago",-1,SPAIN,true,true);

I don't have any objections, but it is up to Bartolomeu in the end, of course.
You're right. Don't change anything before asking me.
The New Santiago has less crew and HP than the regular version
Could you confirm the ship is a bit faster and maneuverable than the regular one? Because, it should...

Since the changes are more than just a new painting (the new stats), I also decided to change the design nationality.

"Fast" and "manoeuvrable" are not words I would associate with that ship. xD It might be a bit less slow and clumsy than the stock model, but I've also got a fast war galleon stashed at Sao Jorge for when I want something fast and manoeuvrable.

Perhaps the questbook text should be changed to indicate that the New Santiago has had a more extensive refit than just a new coat of paint?

Yes, about the questbook text change.
Since my PC isn't still repaired and I cannot check that. Could you confirm the ship is a bit less slow and clumsy than the stock model ?:D

Looking at the numbers, the New Santiago does indeed have slightly higher speed and turn ratings. For practical purposes, there's no real difference though. Partly because the New Santiago still has trouble catching up with a group of Spanish merchants, my favourite prey; and partly because also stashed in Sao Jorge is my fast war galleon, which is the ship I normally use except when a quest ship like the original Santiago is likely to be needed again for the quest. (There is no way Gauthier Thomassin is getting the fast war galleon!) That thing completely outclasses both versions of battlegalleon. New Santiago is more like a battleship, useful against targets which are even slower and clumsier, e.g. forts. (And for that, the Spanish navy have kindly "donated" a real battleship, now also berthed at Sao Jorge. :D)

Do the ingame stats also reflect the deliberate change?
Because possibly the PiratFastGalleon has a .unique attribute which means that she gets the exact stats from ships_init.c in the game.
But the other ship will definitely be randomized with the national modifiers included.

Just for historical reference, the San Martin was the flagship of the Spanish Armada and engaged in many battles. In one battle while the fleet was in harbor on the Flemish coast the San Martin and 3 other ships were assigned the task of defending them from the English attack. Outnumbered 12 to 1 the San Martin was the only one to survive that battle and then led the Armada around Scotland and Ireland back to Spain. She was slow but powerful.

Do the ingame stats also reflect the deliberate change?
Because possibly the PiratFastGalleon has a .unique attribute which means that she gets the exact stats from ships_init.c in the game.
But the other ship will definitely be randomized with the national modifiers included.
An unique attribute? How?

There is no "unique" attribute" for "PirateBattleGalleon", though both "refShip.CanBuy" and "refShip.CanEncounter" are set to false, which presumably means it can't be for sale in any shipyard and can't be found in a random group on the worldmap. (Not that I can confirm either since I don't buy ships, "PirateBattleGalleon" is listed as Portuguese and I ignore Portuguese ships on the worldmap. :D) There is a "refShip.unique" attribute for the the Satanist frigate, by comparison.

Then indeed the stats will be randomized for both. "Unique" refers only to the randomizing of stats.
The CanBuy/CanEncounter ones actually prevent the ship from showing up at random, but don't influence the stats.
Since they both don't have "unique", they should probably indeed be of the same nation design to ensure they are randomized in a similar way.
Then it still cannot be guaranteed to be "better" than the original, so therefore the differences between the two should be large enough to notice.

From what @Bartolomeu o Portugues said, the refit to New Santiago is more than just cosmetic. The national differences between Portugal and Spain, and the specific differences between "SP_BattleGalleon" and "PirateBattleGalleon", reflect this. What is needed, then, is the change to the questbook, which at the moment merely indicates a repaint.

So, @Bartolomeu o Portugues, how about this:
Instead of "I asked to my crew to paint my colours in my 'New Santiago'" (which is in there now)
How about "The shipyard has refitted my 'New Santiago' making it more suitable as a raider" (would explain the new stats and the change of design nationality to Portuguese)

How about "The shipyard has refitted my 'New Santiago' making it more suitable as a raider" (would explain the new stats and the change of design nationality to Portuguese)
I agree :onya
and if I understand, I want refShip.unique = true; added to the New Santiago.

Back