• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Newbie HELP!

OneoftheLost

Landlubber
Seriously?

I mean... really?

Listen. I played POTC. (Friend had a copy.) Got the latest mod, and had a good time. Never stuck with it and eventually gave it back. Recently I saw the game Age of Pirates 2 on Gamersgate. Despite my lack of cash, I decided to put some dosh down the game and give it a try. While it was loading, I watched a Lets Play, and read the manual somewhat. Now that the game is loaded, I am shocked. I'm sure its a great game and all, but NO tutorial??!?!

What exactly am I supposed to do? I won the ship-board fight with pure luck. (I fumbled about, and realized Spacebar was block, and the middle mouse button did MAJOR damage.) I have no idea how to do any of the things from the lets play video. He was pulling up menus to fast travel around town, accessing his inventory.

Listen, I'm all for open-world games, and I don't need a goal, I'll just go out and do it. That being said, I need a little direction on how to do things first.

Is there some sort of guide on just the basics of the game? I can look up the controls and such, but this game is NOT user friendly at all.

Accessing fast travel.
When in a town press enter and a menu will open at the top scroll across using the left and right direction keys and select fast travel a new menu will open with the destinations you can go to, they tell you which building they go to when you highlight them via left and right direction buttons. For sailing when not in battles you can use the sail to option opened in the same way as fast travel.

Opening interface
Press F2 to open the interface options, the tabs along the top will take you to ship, character etc. As your character's rank increases he/she will gain experience points which will lead to bonus points to be spent on perks. Press F2 and go to character tab, you will see in the centre about half way down the screen 2 tabs marked personal and ship, these are the perks you can spend your bonus points on. If you have any points you will see them in the tabs marked personal and ship, each perk costs 1 point and has a big imput on the game. You will never be able to max your character out with all ship perks so pick them carefully. If you open a perk by double clicking on it you can read what that perk will do.

skills
As your character ranks up you will find things easier to do, for example as your trade skill increases you'll make more profit from selling goods. Your navigation skill is what will effect what ships you can sail, if you right click over each of the skills it will explain what they are. The nevigation skill will show you when right clicking on it what shipsrequire what skill level. Sailing a class 5 ship when your skill is less than 25 for example will mean you take negative hits to all skills so hire a officer with good navigation skills to allow you top sail a better class of ship. However his/her skills are also required to be at each level to be able to sail ships so if his navigation skill is bellow 25 you will still take negative hits to your skills.

Officer's
Go to the tavern and from time to time you will see officer's in the tavern, it will take time for you to become accustome to which are officer's and which are not but when you become familar with them you will be able to pick them out from all the people in the tavern. Just approach the people till you are asked if you need a officer, he'll tell you what his role is ie, navigator, gunner, doctor etc etc. As a rule all officer's are normally good at 2 things depending on which is their main role. Navigators are normally good at navigation and can be doctors because they have good skills for doctors. Treasurers are able to fill either trade or carpenter rolesetc. When you have finished hiring officer's press F2 and go to character's tab. Down the left side you will see a list of officer's scroll that side bar down and you will see empty roles like navigation, gunnery, trade etc etc. Double click on the role you wish to add a officer to and select him/her from the window that opens after double clicking on a role.

Crew
The tavern not only offer's you the chance to hire officer's, if you speak with the bar tender he might have some crew looking for work, if he doesn't you can try spending a few nights at the tavern which also helps to recover your health. The bar maid is also a person you can speak with and get a little erm injoyement from if you get my meaning. Be warnered though when doing that you will need to speak with the bar teneder about a room, as soon as you enter the room in the corner by the window their is a tall shelf like unit. Go their and when the hand appears press enter, put all your money in their because the maids sometimes help them selves to your money if you've got it on you.

Store
The store owner will offer you the chance to do merchant runs for him, when you first speak with a store owner of a nation you will be told about a ship called the Blue Bird, accept this quest because you are never offered it again and you do not have to complete it at that very moment in time. In fact you don't have to complete it till your ready, The reason you should accept it is because the Blue Bird is a unique ship and will only be seen in that quest, you will never see that ship sailing without doing that quest and after the quest is complete you will never see that ship again so try to capture her. The store owner also offer's you the chance to buy goods and buy weapons etc.

Shipyard
You can purchase ships, repair ships and buy new calibure guns to mount on your ships, if you go to bermuda their is a pirate settlement their (if playing with CMV3.2 installed you start at this island). The shipyard owner will offer you the chance to upgrade your ships hull, amount of crew you can carry, calibure of gun you can mount at maximum, sails to increase ships speed and how good your ship can turn. Its not cheap but can be very much worth it.

I know you'll already know most of this already from playing POTC but it might be handy for you. I would give more info but i've got to go out, i'm sure other's will come along and help you out. I also watched the lets play from start to finish and it was very interesting although i had already been playing and working on mods for COAS for sometime but i got to see how the vanilla game stood compared to our work on the mod. Try looking in this topic for some tips http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/13787-the-tips-thread/

Fighting

E - Put Sword Out
Q - Shoot With Gun ( Need bullet, Don't need GunPowder )
Shift + LeftMB - Swing Sword ( AoE dmg hit only the front not the side )
Shift + RightMB - Parry ( No energy required, Spam it if you want your enemy 3 on 1 lose energy fast )
Shift + MiddleMB - Feint ( Use it to your like, It's not that good of dmg )
LeftMB - Weak Attack
RightMB - Medium Attack
MiddleMB - Strong Attack
S while sword out - Move back 1feet from enemy
A and D while sword out - Side step 1feet from enemy

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time Elapsed

R - Forward time 1x - 2x
+ button - Forward time l 1x - 6x (3D Sail mode in Battle) l 1x - 3x (Walk Mode) l 1x - 8x (3D sail mode with no encounter )
- button - Slow Time to your advantage 1x - 0.5x
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Town Button

Like above posted by Luke159.

Enter - Fast Travel / Open Conversation / Trade ( Facing Own Officer )

Tavern,
MoneyLender,
Church,
Residence,
Shop,
Brothel(In a certain town)
Shipyard(In most of the Town)
Port Control.

Sea Button
_________

Enter - Sail To / Map / Cabin / Board / Skills(If you have them)

Tips : If you want a fast travel into port, Get close to any side of the island, Doesnt matter it's behind the hill or rocks. As long as your near enough. You can '' Sail To '' for shortcut travel into port.
Glitched : Sometimes when you '' sail to '' port, You sometimes rarely end up at the Lighthouse. Happen to me.

''Sail To'' Condition : It only works on Ally country and Ships, Doesn't matter how far you are from them. Even works with enemy country but if you do, They will start shooting at you.
And you have to 3D sail mode out of Enemy Ship Range or Port Range in order to Open Up the Map Sail Mode View.

F2 Interface
_________

Your Profile, Skill Abilities, Capabilities, Ship Abilities, Personal Abilities.

Status Below your Picture.
To know how many EXP you have.

Press one Skill from Personal or Ship Abilities.
Below there's an Arrow showing red / blue colour, numbers will appear. 0/25
Meaning, 0EXP / 25EXP. To level it up, You have to do something relate to the corrusponding Skill.

Example : Navigation - The more you sail, The more EXP you gain.
Map Navigation - Is slow gaining EXP.
3D sail mode - Is slow gaining EXP
3D sail mode in STORM - More EXP gain.
Etc.

If you want to know how your RANK exp.
Press Your Rank and it will show your EXP.
Rank Depend on your Talent Capabilities.
The lesser Talent you have.
The slower you level up.

AutoSave Feature F6 ( SAVE ) - F9 ( LOAD )

Those who are using BetaTestMode,

You all might know this already, It's F11. =)

Random Quest

Walk around town,
You can get random quest from people walking around the area excluding GUARDS.

Beware in taking a Main Quest by Doing this.
It's hard for those who doesn't know how to fight / Weak Level.
But it's a profittable quest doing so.
Be warned, This quest DOES NOT update in your logbook.

BY SKIPPING THIS QUEST IN THIS CERTAIN TOWN YOUR IN. YOU HAVE JUST LOST ONE OF THE MAIN QUEST.

If a person ask you to meet him in the Dungeon Under the City or In the Cave in the Jungle.
Accept it and follow / Find him.
He will appear in GROUPS sometimes ALONE.
He can only be found in 6 Town which I do not know.
-Find it through, I prefer it on this site for more quest info-

http://sites.google.com/site/skodacoas/home
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Main Quest
_________

Enchanted City,
Tenochitlan,
Flying Dutchman,
Musketeer,
Blue Bird,
Kill The Beggars,
etc.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

National Quest

You can only get this quest if you have a patent of the certain country.
To get the patent, Go To the Residence House.
And do several quest for him,
Everytime he need you to do something for him.

He will give you a patent and now head to the Main Town of the Country.

England - Port Royal
France - Tortuga
Spain - Cartagena? or was it Portobello?
Dutch - Willemstad?

I only know 2 Dutch town...
which i forgot the name......... except willemstad.

I hope this cover all... LOL... mahn I am so bored I even post it like this

fjoaifag[paowgpoawk[go,wapgaw

Perks
Perks dramatically improve things but you can't get all the ship perks without cheating, so hows one to use the perks and whats the best to get. Well that depends on your playing style, for merchant player's they will get the 2 commerce perks and those who play more as pirates will get the sail perks so they can sail into other ports when their stealth skill is high enough and most lilkely the gunnery perks which improves how fast the guns load, aiming etc etc. I personally like the gunnery and commerce perks and beattenhatches which helps reduce the damage storms do to your ship.

Navigation
Storms can be deverstating and leave you limping into a port for repairs, but they are good for building your navigation skills up so use them carefully. The best way to do this is as soon as you have a bonus point for ship perks is to get the beattenhatches perk, this will reduce damage done by storms. Now when you enter a storm turn your ship so your heading in the same direction as the waves or so your heading into the waves, lower the sails to half sails or battles sails are most commonly called (press D once or was it W :shrug) I have set the ship controls to the arrows so down will lower sails up will rig the sails and left and right turn the ship. Anyway with battle sails set and you sailing into or with the waves increase the game speed by using the + and - key's on the num pad, you will increase the game speed to 6X and when the icon to go back to world map appears you can increase game speed to 8x. Sail for as long as you can with or against the waves, rig the sails when your sails are to badly damaged or exit the storm back to the world map and go get fixed up at a shipyard. Your nav skill will have increased (by how much depends on how long you was able to stay in the storm, using a ship with high hull hp is best as they can hold out in a storm for longer periods of time)

Gunnery
When in a battle try to get close to the enemy ship, not to close because you don't want them to board you. Now use the chainshot to have the upper hand over the enemy ship. When aiming with chainshot loaded hit tab key and aim using the target indicator, when it changed to red your locked but you need to aim a little higher to do more sail damage so aim higher and left click to fire a broadside. What as the sails are damaged, this way you can adjust your aiming if your shots was to low. Keep a track of the enemy ships speed because as his speed lowers due to sail damage you might need to change from full to battle sails (personally i like to demast the ships before loading any other shot type). If you manage to demast the ship switch to grapeshot and take the crew out, if you don't want the ship yourself use bombs to sink her. This way your gunnery skills will have increased a lot.

Trade Skills
You can either capture ships and sell them and their cargo, do merchant runs for the store owner or purchase goods yourself to sell for profit at other towns, i do merchant runs because i get to make a profit no matter what good i'm transorting and my trade skill is building up aswell. But if i want to rush to build this skill up i will do merchant runs for the store owners and capture any ships i can as i head to the destination and then sell their cargoe and the ship once i've arrived.

Stealth
To build this skill up you can try to engage a ship using whilest flying the sam flag as them or any nations flag they are not at war with, this is hard at the start because you will alway's end up havinbg a naval battle on your hands. going inot sail mode near a hostile town whilest flying that nations flag or one they are not at war with is perhaps the better way. However you need to sail towards the fort but don't get to close because those forts can damage your ship very quick.

Luck
Playing card games is the only way that i know of for this skill but i think it effects how lucky you are in battles aswell, however battles don't seem to have any effects on this skills as far as improving it so play some card games at the tavern and this skill will slowly build up. The luck it gives in battle i think is lucky shot like taking a enemy ships mast down much to easily, i've had it happen only a few times but both times i had built my luck skill up to 30+.

Weapons
To build these up is like building your gunnery skill, the problem is each weapon type will effect your character in a different way. For example if you use the medium weapon when your skill for light weapons is low you will find it very hard and your strength will take longer to recharge. Using the light weapon till your skill is above 50% will allow you to use the medium weapon better but i personally like to build each to 100 before moving onto the next weapon type.

Gun
Well firing your gun will help build this skill up, i don't know what else effects it but i would suspect what the shot hits will have an effect on how fast your skill increases. Hitting your own guy's for example might not gieb you anything whilest hitting the enemy could. I don't know but as far as i know shooting your gun is all thats needed to build this skill up.

Leadership
Loosing crew has negative effects on this skill so loosing lots of crew in battles will slow the speed this skill increase whilest sailing away from battles without loosing many or any crew will help improve the skill. I don't know what else helps this skill but i do know the more you look after your crew the quicker you can build this skill up, i would imagine that paying your crew will have an effect on this aswell since as the captain your job is to make sure the wages for the crew is alway's available for them at the end of every month and not been able to pay them i would imagine has negative effects on leadership.

More to come when i find the time.

Maybe a stupid question but what do weapon skills improve? What is the difference between Light weapons skill at 10 and 80 when I use a rapier? Dammage? Chance to score a critical hit? Stamina drain? And is it the same for Pistols? Or does it improve something else there? Like accuracy, reload time...

As far as i know the weapon skills work in that if you use a weapon that you have poor skills for, your energy drains quicker and you don't do as much damage. So i do believe the higher your skill the more successfull you are at hitting your enemy. I guess like aiming, the better your aiming skill the more likely you are to hit something. Weapons seems to be similar but in that the higher your skills for a poticular weapon type the more experienced you are at using it, so you are more effective using that type of weapon than a weapon that you have low skills for.

I don't think the pistal skill effects reload times, i think it effects how accurate you are with it and how likely you are to do a lot of damage to your enemy.

I've recently gotten the itch to play CoAS again, so might as well write down some of my findings, since at this stage I'm messing with the game just as much as I'm playing it.

Presently, I'm driving this heavily bermuded monster:
eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vSXltd251cS5qcGcifQ.1hA72ZLoQY-QxovKSK9gxZF_3OY.jpg

Firstly, Save scumming before acquiring certain, quest-reward/scripted ships or even encountering special enemies is recommended to a degree since upon "creation" - ship stats are randomized to no small extent. For instance, the frigate Cinco Llagas starts its existence as soon as you converse with young master Pitt, so a quick save as soon as you leave the cabin will let you reroll the ship's stats at will. I personally never saw the ship's speed exceed 16.94, man. 44.84, PoS 4.89. The same applies to the Bluebird, but since its moment of introduction is at sea, after you've left the ruin shore/Bermuda - checking its stats requires one to defeat and board it. Still, the maximum (individual, not on any one ship instance) were hull - 3294, speed 20.35, man - 66, PoS - 11, Hold - 2212, Crew - 247. guns anywhere from 16 to 32 pdr. I am yet to see how bad or good the Dog of War can get.

Both of those ships, regardless how poor the roll, easily outperform the average class equivalent, so all that hassle isn't necessary. Still, seeing the bluebird run so fast is hilarious.

Secondly and more importantly - it seems like the only person in the game you can entrust your rare weapons to, for safe-keeping is that musketeer from Trinidad - Humphrey Douglas. Normally, if given a better set of weapons, officers will immediately switch to them. The aforementioned gentleman however appears to be a special case, where due to his use of the twobarrel musket - he seems unwilling or more likely unable to equip any sword or pistol. So suppose one has a collection of extremely rare blades and wishes to keep them, rather than see them all confiscated by Capper - best hand them to the gunman beforehand.

Lastly, even the best weapons seem to be included into what dead enemies can have. as I investigated what stats a bluebird can have, i count at least 2 (out of some 20 attempts or so) instances, where the captain dropped a Haudegen. By what seems to be a similar mechanic, Oliver trust dropped an even rarer medium blade called Cerber/Cerberus 24/70. in both cases, such loot appears to be extremely rare, for in the years since I started playing CoAS - I saw the cerber for the very first time just today. Also, I'd like to note, that it's the same sort of translation oversight as with the Tanat/Thanatos. Russians spell greek/roman nouns without the -os/us at the end and it seems to have carried to the english release.

Seriously?

I mean... really?

Listen. I played POTC. (Friend had a copy.) Got the latest mod, and had a good time. Never stuck with it and eventually gave it back. Recently I saw the game Age of Pirates 2 on Gamersgate. Despite my lack of cash, I decided to put some dosh down the game and give it a try. While it was loading, I watched a Lets Play, and read the manual somewhat. Now that the game is loaded, I am shocked. I'm sure its a great game and all, but NO tutorial??!?!

What exactly am I supposed to do? I won the ship-board fight with pure luck. (I fumbled about, and realized Spacebar was block, and the middle mouse button did MAJOR damage.) I have no idea how to do any of the things from the lets play video. He was pulling up menus to fast travel around town, accessing his inventory.

Listen, I'm all for open-world games, and I don't need a goal, I'll just go out and do it. That being said, I need a little direction on how to do things first.

Is there some sort of guide on just the basics of the game? I can look up the controls and such, but this game is NOT user friendly at all.
When you start the game(as Diego or Ian), a sailor will talk to you. Read every word that he says after the fencing part. Now, that's the tutorial.

I've recently gotten the itch to play CoAS again, so might as well write down some of my findings, since at this stage I'm messing with the game just as much as I'm playing it.

Presently, I'm driving this heavily bermuded monster:
eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vSXltd251cS5qcGcifQ.1hA72ZLoQY-QxovKSK9gxZF_3OY.jpg

Firstly, Save scumming before acquiring certain, quest-reward/scripted ships or even encountering special enemies is recommended to a degree since upon "creation" - ship stats are randomized to no small extent. For instance, the frigate Cinco Llagas starts its existence as soon as you converse with young master Pitt, so a quick save as soon as you leave the cabin will let you reroll the ship's stats at will. I personally never saw the ship's speed exceed 16.94, man. 44.84, PoS 4.89. The same applies to the Bluebird, but since its moment of introduction is at sea, after you've left the ruin shore/Bermuda - checking its stats requires one to defeat and board it. Still, the maximum (individual, not on any one ship instance) were hull - 3294, speed 20.35, man - 66, PoS - 11, Hold - 2212, Crew - 247. guns anywhere from 16 to 32 pdr. I am yet to see how bad or good the Dog of War can get.

Both of those ships, regardless how poor the roll, easily outperform the average class equivalent, so all that hassle isn't necessary. Still, seeing the bluebird run so fast is hilarious.

Secondly and more importantly - it seems like the only person in the game you can entrust your rare weapons to, for safe-keeping is that musketeer from Trinidad - Humphrey Douglas. Normally, if given a better set of weapons, officers will immediately switch to them. The aforementioned gentleman however appears to be a special case, where due to his use of the twobarrel musket - he seems unwilling or more likely unable to equip any sword or pistol. So suppose one has a collection of extremely rare blades and wishes to keep them, rather than see them all confiscated by Capper - best hand them to the gunman beforehand.

Lastly, even the best weapons seem to be included into what dead enemies can have. as I investigated what stats a bluebird can have, i count at least 2 (out of some 20 attempts or so) instances, where the captain dropped a Haudegen. By what seems to be a similar mechanic, Oliver trust dropped an even rarer medium blade called Cerber/Cerberus 24/70. in both cases, such loot appears to be extremely rare, for in the years since I started playing CoAS - I saw the cerber for the very first time just today. Also, I'd like to note, that it's the same sort of translation oversight as with the Tanat/Thanatos. Russians spell greek/roman nouns without the -os/us at the end and it seems to have carried to the english release.
Hahaha! You can use the Dog of War to raid, pillage and plunder. I attacked Cumana with only one ship, which is the Dog of War. Basically, the Dog of War will be a bit slower.

Corvette, The dog of war.

Hull 6968

Sails 100

Speed 21.98/19.67

Maneuverability 55.78/64.46

Point of Sail 12.06

Hold 3908

Crew Min: 34/ Max: 370 (Max Overload is 463)

Max Caliber Cannons 24 lbs

Current Caliber Cannons 32 lbs (Bug for Vanilla CoAS not sure about GoF)

For me, the Wardog is the best ship in-game(the faster a ship is, the better it is because if you can outrun any ship, you can take down any ship) and I sunk a 6 ship spanish punitive expedition fleet who came to take back their city from me.

Back