• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved No b14 beta3 install in windows 7

Sirten Deth

Landlubber
The install instructions for b14 beta3 say down part 1 & 2 (installer & main folder ) to a file, then click EXE in installer, point it to PotC installation, choose options as needed, the play. Sounds simple. I am running windows 7 pro. I DL'ed part 1 & 2 from moddb. I find no 'install wizard' with an EXE to click on. What I have is 2 folders named 'b14 beta3 installer' & b14 beta3 full'. Neither have an EXE to make it install after unzipping. The only exe files I can see are Config.exe & ENGINE.exe. If I click on 1 of these it says 'Engine.ini or Options file missed'. So where is this wizards EXE & how do you point a file that does not exist to a place that windows 7 does not allow. I WANT WINDOWS XP BACK!!! I don't know what else I can add other than I tried to unzip to my installation, and that did not work either. My install is in C:\Games\Pirates so location should be alright. P.S. in case you cant tell I HATE windows 7. I have been to windows 10 also, that is why I am reinstalling EVERYTHING. After a couple weeks it threw out ALL of my drivers & it cost me about $500 to find out why I lost my video. I did get about half of it back tho. That's all. HELP PLEASE.

@Sirten Deth, the version on ModDB is over a year old, you would be much better off trying the latest version of New Horizons from Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!

Download the Installer first, then download the .CAB file in the second link, make sure that they are both in the same directory after downloading, then run the installer. Do NOT extract anything manually, let the installer do the work!

Either way, it is quite impossible to have two FOLDERS after download, because the downloads are FILES.
And one of those ModDB downloads IS an EXE file.
So I've got no clue what it is that you're doing, but clearly you're doing some things that you aren't actually saying in your post.... :rolleyes:

It would help if you read and UNDERSTAND the instructions. No where does it say to unzip anything.

The install instructions for b14 beta3 say down part 1 & 2 (installer & main folder ) to a file, then click EXE in installer, point it to PotC installation, choose options as needed, the play. Sounds simple. I am running windows 7 pro. I DL'ed part 1 & 2 from moddb. I find no 'install wizard' with an EXE to click on. What I have is 2 folders named 'b14 beta3 installer' & b14 beta3 full'. Neither have an EXE to make it install after unzipping. The only exe files I can see are Config.exe & ENGINE.exe.
If you're looking at "Config.exe" and "ENGINE.exe" then either you've unzipped part 2 manually; or you're looking at the original PotC installation from CD, not at what you downloaded. Since you refer to folders "b14_beta3_installer" and "b14_beta3_full", I suspect that you've actually unzipped both of them manually, which you're not supposed to do.

Of the two files which you downloaded, "b14_beta3_installer" is the .exe installer. They must be in the same folder as each other, but not necessarily in the same place as the PotC installation - for example, I installed PotC from CD into "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean" and put the downloaded files into "D:\PotC". Then you just run "b14_beta3_installer" and let it do all the extracting and moving.

You are correct I did manually unzip both files, that is what I thought I was supposed to do. My mistake. I downloaded beta 4 instead. the instruction for this installation was easier to follow and worked like a charm. So I am running B14 b 4. Sorry H P if I am such a nit wit that I cant read between the lines, or that maybe DO read between the lines. The instructions for beta 4 was VERY explicit and easy to understand. Thank you Grey Roger for your insight. P S One major cause of this (and other) download problems I have been having is this "junk" windows (7 & 10) keeps deleting the exe FOLDER stating that it is unsafe and then deletes it completely. I also would ass u me that NORTON had a little to do with THAT. SORRY to be such a PITA.

Back