- ModDB profile

3. GOF: Eras

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - TheBlackKnight's Mods and Guides
    - ModDB Profile

4. Ahoy
    New to the forum?
    Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

[No Recent Progress] Unnamed 57 ft single-masted Sloop

Discussion in 'Ships' started by urban legend 1996, Jul 15, 2013.

1. urban legend 1996

urban legend 1996 HoO Team Member 3D Artist

Hey guys, I am new to the modelling team, so hello to you all:), and also new to modelling ships, because of this I could do with some knowledge on how to model this ship(Unnamed 57 ft single-masted Sloop) so far I have constructed a basic hull but the plans are not clear on how the back looks so I am not sure how to construct it, also this is the first ship I have ever tried to make and I have no knowledge of whether it looks correct in terms of what I have already made(meaning the front of the ship) so a bit of critique will help.

lastly be honest( I have only been working on it for an hour) I wont easily give up on making this ship but if it's better suited to my skillset to help in other ways then I am happy to oblige.
    single masted sloop.jpg

VIEW 1.jpg

VIEW 2.jpg
    VIEW 3.jpg

VIEW 4.jpg
  2. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Admin Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Good start! No-one expects you to be perfect on your first try, so don't worry about making mistakes.
    The lower hull is the most difficult part of the ship to model, I'd say, so once that's out of the way, the rest is relatively straightforward.
    One thing that will help you out is to work on half of the hull first, and then mirror the geometry to the other side when it's finished.
    And be sure to use orthographic camera views for the front, back, side and top, rather than relying entirely on the 3D perspective view.

It's quite difficult to explain how to model the shape of the bow and stern, but I can show you some wireframe images of my WIP Bellona model which may be of use to you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some things to note from this are to try to keep your geometry evenly spaced, but use more polygons for areas with tight curvature, especially around the bow and stern.

Keep at it; the results will be worth it! ;)
    urban legend 1996 likes this.
  3. urban legend 1996

Thanks for the advise, In terms of the model itself do you notice any errors in terms of even spacing as you motioned and do you think it is starting to look accurate to a sloop? as I am not expert in judging it myself, lastly is their a general procedure to modelling ships as I don't miss out a critical stage, and lastly, lastly (haha) if you were modelling the ship at the stage it's at what would you do next? ( I know that question seems similar to the last question)
  4. Armada

I think it's shaping up quite well in general. I'd say it looks a bit crowded at the top of the bow, so you may want to remove an edge loop or two.
    The stern should be a bit more flat as well. How have you set up the ship plans in your scene? Working with orthographic views and well positioned plans will make it easier to know when you've got the right shape.

There isn't really a right or wrong procedure for making ships, but I'd definitely recommend that you follow the hull modelling tutorial closely for best results.
    What I'd do next is keep building the hull upwards and then add the keel.
    urban legend 1996 likes this.
  5. urban legend 1996

I shall upload images of the set up and images of the ships alignment with plans tommorrow thanks for your quick responses and advice.
  6. urban legend 1996

I have reached a point in modelling this ship where the plans are not really clear on how the stern and rear of hull looks and advise on what I should do?
    VIEW 5.jpg VIEW 6.jpg VIEW 7.jpg
    on the first image I have circled in red an area of the plans that I do not understand
    on the second image I have numbered the circles 1, 2, 3
    circle one is showing that the stern for the side view is over the rail
    this point is being made in circle, 2, 3.
  7. Armada

Yeah, that's the trickiest part, so I don't blame you for being confused.
    I'll try to draw the lines onto your screenshots to illustrate the proper edge flow, and post them here when I'm done.

Your bow shape is looking better, by the way! :onya
  8. Armada

OK, here are the images with extra lines drawn over them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the first image, the geometry you outlined in red should be deleted and replaced with the new geometry marked with black edges and green vertices.
    As you can see, the edges start to flow upwards, ignoring the diagonal planking lines on the plans.
    The vertices I labelled 1 on the image should be moved inwards to match the curve of the ones next to them. Where they are now is following the lines of the 'box' surrounding the hull.
    I would suggest deleting the parts labelled 2 and 3 in favour of the edges I added.

On the second image, you should remove the geometry I circled in black, and again follow the new black lines.
    It was a bit more difficult to draw this accurately without using real geometry in a modelling program, so there might be some mistakes or parts I missed out.

I hope that helps. If anything is unclear, let me know. :onya
  9. urban legend 1996

Right, I have done the first image you gave me correctly I think, you will have to check, but how the second image relates to the first I don't have a clue what to do, do I pull out the plane for the first image, like pulling out a plane for a hull, or is the second image showing I have to create a separate piece of geometry and leave the first piece of geometry where it is?

Here are images of what I have done
    VIEW 8.jpg VIEW 9.jpg

Also a big thank you for your help I don't think I would have gotten this far without your help and also your help so far has taught me allot about modelling ships so thanks for that too!!
  10. Armada

What you've done looks right to me; all I'd say is that you should try to smooth the lines slightly, because the ones I drew were a bit jagged.
    And yes, you need to pull that plane out as you would for the rest of the hull. It should be pulled out in three stages until you've got the lines roughly matching up with the second image I gave you.

No problem. :doff
  11. urban legend 1996

Right I have pulled out the plane and smoothed out the lines, but alas I am stuck, I know I need to make a keel to finish the hull but I have no clue how to full finish the back or start building on to the deck, the plans don't help me much and my sheer lack of knowledge on ships doesn't help ether. Any help would be appreciated?

These images are of the complete hull and pulled out stern:
    VIEW 10.jpg VIEW 11.jpg VIEW 12.jpg
  12. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Corsair Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

Might be good to have a look at this: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/ship-hull-modeling-tutorial.17259/
    most of the stern is shown in the plan, just not the top. judging by what can be seen in the side view and standard practice, just finish it off in a horseshoe shape: http://www.bateaux-de-saint-malo.com/en/fiche Renard.htm
    and You'll want to get your edges as close as possible to the curvature of the hull, even the interior ones. This is because of wales(strips of thicker planking that you will need to extrude) and it can make texturing easier when you get there.
    only showed a few that should be lined up here, but you get the idea.
    VIEW 10mod.jpg

this is a model in the NMM of a similar ship, and may help with deck details.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wh5SQ2iD4...Gc/6NXZPrncwZA/s1600/NMM-visit_Hoy_1730_b.JPG
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wh5SQ2iD4...GU/RrrfE90k0nE/s1600/NMM-visit_Hoy_1730_a.JPG
    http://silent-invasion.blogspot.com/2010/09/woodlander-naval-craft.html

Probably from a little later, but should help with overall deck layout
    http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/382902.html
    http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/86288.html
  13. Post Captain

Post Captain Rigging Expert Staff Member Coordinator QC Advisor Storm Modder

I would just like to add that if you have any questions about the deck fittings, or the deck its self, ask before you model the areas in question. I can help with that.
  14. urban legend 1996

Hey, post captain I was supposed to pm you a couple of days ago to ask you what you wanted me to do but I ended up doing this ship instead as it was high priority on a list,

anyway yes I would like the help you are suggesting especially with the deck, I'll need help with deck fitting later , but defiantly modelling a solid deck first, The main issue I am having with building the deck is how to model it , basically, in term of how do you model the transition from hull to deck EG. do you model the top edge of the hull in then down to form a wall then level a deck from their or what?

any help would be appreciated,

Here are some screen shot of the back I have modelled for ether you or armada to approve/ disapprove of. :p
    VIEW 15.jpg VIEW 16.jpg VIEW 17.jpg

last image is just testing the symmetry of the model.
  15. Armada

It's getting better, that's for sure! :onya

Here are some modifications I'd suggest you make:

[​IMG]

The solid red lines should be moved to the position of the dotted red lines (except the part I circled in red; more on that below).
    In addition, the solid green lines should be removed, and the dotted green lines should be added. These changes are mostly to improve the flow of the geometry.

About the stern part I circled: I'd recommend separating that from the rest of the hull, by making it 'floating' geometry. This is explained in the Hull Modelling Tutorial.
    One reason for this is that you'll need to extrude the hull inwards to give it some thickness before installing the decks, and extruding would start to get messy if you included that stern section.
  16. urban legend 1996

Hey armada, thanks for your help, here is a similar screenshot of the ship with your improvements on them, in terms of detaching the stern have I done it correctly? or did you want more the be detached. :)

Attached Files:

17. Post Captain

Post Captain Rigging Expert Staff Member Coordinator QC Advisor Storm Modder

That's actually something we really needed, so thanks for doing that.
    I can't help with the "how" part of modeling the deck, but I will help with the "what." I'll grab some photos of the parts of the deck that people usually don't know about tomorrow while I'm on Pilgrim. (Sheer plank, etc.)
  18. urban legend 1996

hey, the sentence you wrote "parts of the deck that people usually don't know about" sums up my predicament exactly, the reference photo's will come in handy, thanks.
  19. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Corsair Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

to create the deck, make a very long/wide and short box with the same number of length sections as you have vertical segments in your hull. also have 3-4 width segments to create the curvature of the deck from side to side. match the length segments to the vertical segments on your hull. Fit them with the curvature of the deck fore and aft. then switch to top view. Pull the outermost points in so they meet the hull but do not go through it. move the inner points (from the width segments) so they are roughly parallel with the outer one, and becoming more parallel with the inner one as you go towards the center of the deck. I realize this may be hard to visualize without an example, so I'll try to get some images up to help with that. Hopefully you can at least understand the first part though.
  20. urban legend 1996

Thanks captain, I understand the instructions but does the ship have an inner wall? If so dosent the deck have to be parallel bottom of the inner wall not the top of the hull? And lastly if there is an inner wall how tall/deep is it on a sloop?