• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved No ship position?

MooneytheApe

Landlubber
Hey everybody I'm new to this game but I like the sound of Ironman mode. I read that you need a compass and a sextant to be able to see your ship position on the Archipelago map. I have both, however I can't see my ship position which is meaning I'm getting lost quite often.

You need a sextant and a chronometer. ;)
In real life you would also need a Nautical Almanac, but we skipped on that for simplicity.... :wp

That is why I don't play Iron Man. I need the World Map until I get the upgrades. Without them only short voyages are possible for me.

The best way to get somewhere without the upgrades is to just sail from one island to the next by guessing the direction and hoping you guessed right. Island hopping usually works ok. You might also want to try the Open Sea mod. It is pretty much the same except that you can use the World Map.

This is basically the only way to do it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_reckoning

Which isn't very accurate in real life either. But that's what you do if you can't do something better.

Going from island to island is indeed the best way to do it.

And if you do like the idea of Iron Man Mode but not everything, you can use the top of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h to tweak your realism settings.
Or if you can't find a chronometer and do want one, we can get you one through code and skip past that difficulty.

Back