• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Not responding when starting a new game

Jonty

Ϯ ρiгaτϵ ϻaᴤτϵѓміпם Ϯ
Beta 3.1 - 6th Dec 13

I decided that I wanted to start a new game, and made a few adjustments to the InternalSettings.ini beforehand. Nothing major - just sidestep alterations, enemy level values and the some realism settings. So I try to start a new game, and the coin moves slightly, stops when it is horizontal and the game stops responding. I thought I'd might have caught a key or something when altering my InternalSettings.ini, so got one that I know that works from another computer with the exact same version, and replaced the one on the original computer (the one I'm having the problem on) with the one from the other. The same problem happened; unresponsive a few seconds into the loading screen. I still think I may have accidentally messed something up, but I've attached the log files anyway.

Attachments

• system.log
    374 bytes · Views: 190
  • compile.log
    2 KB · Views: 179
Even if I did break it, it would be useful to know how so I can avoid anything of the like happening again.

Make a backup of your PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folders before you change anything; then you can always put things back.
Use WinMerge to put your changes back bit by bit and you should be able to track down the troublesome one.

I always recommend people to stay away from that file 'cause that file is sensitive, I had all sorts of problems before tweaking that file.

Uhm, Sire Pieter Boelen and Hylie Pistof, can we add and or recommend certain files or codes to avoid tweaking if possible in the FAQ? - in a good way of course. :nerbz

EDIT: I think this is becoming frequent and confusing, especially if people fail to mention that they tweak some of the files and state a problem.
But, well, it is one of the fun things about this game and its hard to admit that once you start tweaking some of the files, you'll never stop tweaking. Hehehe. :cheeky

Last edited:
If it's only that file you have changed - try mine: it's reset to default values and works.

Attachments

• InternalSettings.h
    68.7 KB · Views: 177
I've got no clue which files should NTO be touched. Myself, I don't usually change things from the defaults; I just make the defaults. :wp

I do not know which files should never be touched either.

Rule number 1: Backup your backups!

Rule number 2: Have another install handy as a source of clean files so that when, not if, you mess it up so bad it will not run it can be repaired easily.

I do not know which files should never be touched either.

Rule number 1: Backup your backups!

Rule number 2: Have another install handy as a source of clean files so that when, not if, you mess it up so bad it will not run it can be repaired easily.
Aye! :yes

Well what I did was reinstall the mod again, not the core game itself, but the same problem persisted. So I reinstalled everything - the base game, the mod and the music pack with the installation files I had on hand. It worked after that. Odd that even though I replaced the mod with a fresh install the same thing happened.

Back