• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved (not) Staying alive

Johivas

Powder Monkey
I met a woman and she sold me a dagger, I equipped it and went on a pickpocket spree, well, i immediately got caught and killed, I tried again and died poisoned, tried again and got exploded and died. I failed to pickpocket anybody, but died aplenty.
I went to the port and met a guy who sold me a treasure map for 7000$, I had 20.000 and since the usual price is around 50.000, I said "well, her's my strike of luck" I bought it immediately, went to the spot and got my whole squad butchered almost before we could draw swords, I tried repetitively and always got quickly dispatched, like those thugs do over 100 pts of damage in a single strike, I definitively want their swords.
So I decided to continue the main quest, I went to springtown but forgot I had to land at the far beach, so I immediately got caught between an armada of french big ships and the city deference pouring a rain of cannonballs on my ship, I can tell you, everybody died, no new species here.
I loaded again, went to the far beach, infiltrated the city, got Valentin Massoni drunk, followed him outside the city, extracted information, but I couldn't kill the supposedly drunk man, I tried for half an hour and I just died over and over again, I have a big axe, but it doesn't seem to affect him, i think a pistol is working, but I can't manage to kill him before the 2 guards reach me.
So I went to the store to buy an armor, but the store owner wouldn't sell me anything because of my supposedly bad reputation, the joke is that this same store owner sold me stuff when I had a lower reputation (he did at normal, but not as a bloke) is this a bug? Or is it because the city is occupied by the french?
So, to recapitulate my last few hours, well, i just died a hundred times, but that's ok, i suppose i'll become better later, gotta do some bench press now...

Yeah this sounds about right to me :p.
Which difficulty are you playing?

Yeah this sounds about right to me :p.
Which difficulty are you playing?
Journeyman i think, but the important point is not being able to kill Valentin Massoni, and the store owner refusing to sell me stuff even if my reputation is better. As for dying, I guess when i'll be better skilled, it will be easier.

The storeowner wont sell you stuff if you are hostile (and he found out).
as long as a store owner hasn't found out about your reputation or nation they will trade with you, but when they do find out they wont anymore.

You dont have an error log while fighting Valentin also?

The storeowner wont sell you stuff if you are hostile (and he found out).
as long as a store owner hasn't found out about your reputation or nation they will trade with you, but when they do find out they wont anymore.

You dont have an error log while fighting Valentin also?
Yes, a small message appeared saying "error error", as he gained a level (i think it was him)

Anyway, I bought a better pistol and killed him in one shot, problem solved...

if you go to your potc folder if anything went wrong the file error.log appears there
If you experienced something weird please check if that file is there if so please upload it so we can check

Well, i just noticed that all the officers who were with me before the mission are nowhere to be found anymore, I'll have to reload and remove them manually before doing the mission.
Oh, before I forget again, if you disable incomplete quests in the installation and then talk to (approach, not talk) someone who was offering an incomplete quest, then you can't talk to anybody no more unless you switch area (like entering a tavern and getting out, then everybody will talk allright).

What level are you at? The first 5-8 levels are just to get you geared up and get some basic skills. It sounds like you are at a pretty low level.

just upload the file.

I met a woman and she sold me a dagger, I equipped it and went on a pickpocket spree, well, i immediately got caught and killed, I tried again and died poisoned, tried again and got exploded and died. I failed to pickpocket anybody, but died aplenty.
That's odd. A dagger is just a weapon and shouldn't help with pickpocketing. A thief's knife is a special weapon, it does very little damage but, provided you don't get caught, gives you access to the person's inventory and you just take stuff - at least, that's how it worked in earlier versions. Has the thief's knife changed in Beta 3.5?

The only time I've been poisoned or blown up is if someone talks to me, drops a purse, and I choose one of the options to distract the person and grab the purse, which inevitably turns out to be a Thiefbuster which is likely to have a poisoned needle or explosive trap.

I went to the port and met a guy who sold me a treasure map for 7000$, I had 20.000 and since the usual price is around 50.000, I said "well, her's my strike of luck" I bought it immediately, went to the spot and got my whole squad butchered almost before we could draw swords, I tried repetitively and always got quickly dispatched, like those thugs do over 100 pts of damage in a single strike, I definitively want their swords.
There are a few dungeons where, if you can survive contact with their inhabitants, you can find a decent sword. The entrance to one is very close to the shipyard in Speightstown. Another is outside town on the same island.

I loaded again, went to the far beach, infiltrated the city, got Valentin Massoni drunk, followed him outside the city, extracted information, but I couldn't kill the supposedly drunk man, I tried for half an hour and I just died over and over again, I have a big axe, but it doesn't seem to affect him, i think a pistol is working, but I can't manage to kill him before the 2 guards reach me.
So I went to the store to buy an armor, but the store owner wouldn't sell me anything because of my supposedly bad reputation, the joke is that this same store owner sold me stuff when I had a lower reputation (he did at normal, but not as a bloke) is this a bug? Or is it because the city is occupied by the french?
The store won't sell you anything if you're showing the flag of a hostile nation unless your reputation is Hero. The first time you visited, the town was British, you're friendly to Britain, so he was willing to trade. The second time the town was French, you're hostile to France, you're not Hero so he won't trade. You can sometimes trade with a hostile store if you hoist a false flag friendly to the town; if you'd landed at Far Beach, raised French flag in the "Relations" screen and then gone into town, you might have got away with it. (Personally I dock at Bridgetown. That's still British so you can trade with the store, and although it's a longer walk across the island, you can branch off and find that outdoor dungeon on the way to Speightstown.) Incidentally, if all you want to buy is equipment, you can try the street traders - they don't care about your nationality or reputation.

You don't need to kill Valentin Massoni. You can get the information from him, let him go, then run away before the guards are even alerted.

That's odd. A dagger is just a weapon and shouldn't help with pickpocketing. A thief's knife is a special weapon, it does very little damage but, provided you don't get caught, gives you access to the person's inventory and you just take stuff - at least, that's how it worked in earlier versions. Has the thief's knife changed in Beta 3.5?
Still the same. I figured that indeed he meant the Thief's Knife. :yes

So did I, but I don't remember the thief's knife triggering Thiefbuster style traps (poison or explosion). Admittedly I normally only use it to mug someone who has just picked my pocket, and I've stopped doing that since I found that it gets you a -2 reputation loss (possibly twice; the warning message seems to appear twice when I use the the thief's knife successfully). But you get no reputation loss for whacking the target over the head with a sandbag and only a -1 reputation loss for then stealing his stuff. Apparently it's a less serious crime to knock him unconscious and rob him than to quietly rob him with minimal harm. (And no crime at all to kill him with a poisoned throwing knife and then loot the corpse. But if you mess with that, you mess with the "Assassin" and "Bartolomeu" stories.)

Sounds like a lot of reputation stuff doesn't make all that much sense when compared to each other. :facepalm

Back