• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Nottingham & Hood

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Disney has been searching for it's next cash cow multi-film franchise and has apparently settled on the legend of Robin Hood to do the milking. Judging by what they did to POTC, I can only hope that they don't decide to completely dismantle the legend by turning him in to some Zombie fighting muscle-bound Hercules of the middle ages! I wont even speculate on the possibility of spandex green tights! :sick

There was apparently also an announcement by Sony Pictures back in October that I missed stating that they would be working on a multi-film franchise around the very same Robin Hood! Seems the Prince of Thieves isn’t loosing anything in popularity these days! That particular adaptation will simply be called Hood. You can read more about both HERE!

There are so many real stories from history out there that are MUCH more interesting than these legends that they could have chosen. I really can't fathom why either have decided yet another retelling is necessary. Not that I have anything against Robin Hood mind you, The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and I still enjoy watching it on occasion today!

If your looking for a Robin Hood fix though, the best treatment I have ever found comes at the hands of Howard Pyle in his classic book "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood!" This is where all the merriment and mayhem of the movies comes from, but it is much better done in the book by the masterful Pyle! Not only was he a fantastic artist and painter, he was also a very prolific writer.

If you are interested in the same time period, but want to get away from the legend of Robin Hood, I highly recommend both "The Tavern Knight" by Rafael Sabatini, and "The Black Arrow: A Tale of Two Roses" by Robert Louis Stevenson! Both are classic adventure stories that are well worth the read, and would have been MUCH better ideas for movies then yet another Robin Hood retelling.

Robin Hood is a familiar name though. And familiarity breeds profit.
That's what that famous saying was, right? :razz

Apparently name recognition is more important than a good storyline.

I have a movie called "Robin Hood" starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett that is pretty gritty.

Men in Tights is ok, but it is certainly no Spaceballs!!

The one with Russell Crowe is actually quite good!

I never "got" Mel Brooks humor.

Indeed. It has a strong storyline and shows just how brutal life was.

You should have watched longer, they had outside jokes too! :woot

Back