• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

nVidia card not recognized

pacmanizzle

Landlubber
Hello!

I've just installed COAS and it works fine except it doesn't recognize my nVidia graphics card. I have a 2GB nVidia GT540m. When I start config.exe the "Device" menu is grayed and "Primary display driver" is selected.

I have tried setting the game up in the nVidia Control Panel as a program that always uses the nVidia GPU (both for start.exe and config.exe), but it didn't work.

Is there any way I can solve this?

Thank you!

Have you looked to see if the setup allows you to select different games?

I'm not using NVIDIA currently, but a couple of my older computers had NVIDIA 9850 GTX cards and I had to set them up with defaults. I used Medeival Total War II as my default game config and it played COAS fine with that selection.

Also what is your OS and are you using it in 64 or 32 configuration. If its Windows 7 in 64 mode, there can be some problems if you install the game in the Program Files (x86) side. You should direct your installation at the non-(x86) Program Files side, or better yet install to your desktop and put in another file somewhere.

If you don't want to do the install all over again, simply copy the Playlogic folder from Program Files(x86) and paste it into your regular Program Files, or copy the Age of Pirates 2 game folder and paste it into your desktop. When you do this, the shortcut will no longer work, so you need to establish a new shortcut or start the game from the game folder itself.

Try playing with these areas and see if it helps. Good Luck Mate.

MK

That is quite normal. I've got that as well for PotC's Config.exe . It just means that the main GFX card (in your case you nVidia one) is being used.
Does the game itself work fine and smoothly?

Have you looked to see if the setup allows you to select different games?

I'm not using NVIDIA currently, but a couple of my older computers had NVIDIA 9850 GTX cards and I had to set them up with defaults. I used Medeival Total War II as my default game config and it played COAS fine with that selection.

Also what is your OS and are you using it in 64 or 32 configuration. If its Windows 7 in 64 mode, there can be some problems if you install the game in the Program Files (x86) side. You should direct your installation at the non-(x86) Program Files side, or better yet install to your desktop and put in another file somewhere.

If you don't want to do the install all over again, simply copy the Playlogic folder from Program Files(x86) and paste it into your regular Program Files, or copy the Age of Pirates 2 game folder and paste it into your desktop. When you do this, the shortcut will no longer work, so you need to establish a new shortcut or start the game from the game folder itself.

Try playing with these areas and see if it helps. Good Luck Mate.

MK

I am running Windows 7 in 64 mode, but the game is installed on a different partition.

As for the GPU, it's not the actual settings that are the problem. The problem is nVidia Optimus which is supposed to automatically switch between the on-board Intel GPU and the nVidia GPU when I start a program which requires higher graphics. But for some reason the game doesn't see the nVidia GPU, even though I've set Optimus to always use this instead of the on-board one.

That is quite normal. I've got that as well for PotC's Config.exe . It just means that the main GFX card (in your case you nVidia one) is being used.

The game works smoothly but the graphics are quite low and the maximum resolution I can get is 1024x768.

The game works smoothly but the graphics are quite low and the maximum resolution I can get is 1024x768.

Try changing the game's native resolution. Open the game folder and find the engine file. Open it and make a couple changes:

set to

full_screen = 0
screen_x = 1620
screen_y = 1200

I also have some alternative camera settings if you like these.

MK

Try changing the game's native resolution. Open the game folder and find the engine file. Open it and make a couple changes:

set to

full_screen = 0
screen_x = 1620
screen_y = 1200

I also have some alternative camera settings if you like these.

MK

I've tried this and the game kept crashing on start even though I made a copy of the original engine and put it back after the game first crashed.

Now I've reinstalled it and I also put the GoF mod and the resolution change in the engine file worked fine. Thanks a lot !!

Back