• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Offering modelling help (beginner)

Killick

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Hello all!

I am very enthusiastic about this project and I would like to contribute. I know the basics of 3D modelling; mainly using Blender, but I do have Maya installed as well. Since I am a beginner, I was hoping that maybe there are some simple objects I could start with. Perhaps a cannon I could work on or so?

Welcome!

Do you have a screenshot of some of your work to post so we can get an idea of what kind of project to give you?

Not really, I'm afraid. Haven't gone much beyond some tutorials. But if you give me a simple task to experiment on I think I could pick it up quickly.

Good to have you here! :ahoyIt's nice to see that you at least have some basics down, but it would certainly be best to start small.
@JOVE23 is someone you should contact about what assets, buildings, props and the like we need. Many of us here use Maya, and .mb files are certainly quite common, but people use other programs as well and make it work just fine. Can't wait to see you get started! :dance

Thanks, I contacted him. Waiting for a reply.

In the meantime I just decided to have some fun and created this 24lb cannon. No idea if it's any good. Probably it's way too detailed.

24lb 1.png

I am no expert, but that certainly looks good, mate. :onya

BTW: I have added you to the Provisional group now. :doff

@Killick
Ask Wedori first before you start modelling this cannon. I'm pretty sure he has allready a 24pdr cannon.

hehe, yes but a 18 pounder is missing ;) Take an Establishment before 1733. The Albans need Bronze shapes, based at 1670 design. 18 pounders.

Haha, no problem, this was just a little exercise for myself and I happened to find a drawing of that 24lb gun. I'd be happy to work on the 18 pounder next! Do you know where I can find a drawing of one of those? Also, if I have some basic modelling questions, can I turn to you?

Ill take a look for for a 18 pounder and send to you. Stay tuned!

EDIT:
18 pounder is a very special thing I have read now because I didnt have a native drawing of an 18 pounder and the gun is need to fit in calibre and length to the brass ordinary from 1702.

The St.Albans of 1706 must have had (I suspect) guns of the brass ordinary 1702 with its pattern. The pattern Caruana show, is a 3 inch calibre BUT for us important: The reinforcement rings and its form plus the back of the gun is shown and transferable to a 24pdr bronze gun from 1719 (Diameter @ 10ft). Caruana writes, that the iron and bronze guns use the same patterns during bronze guns have not the high weight of a iron gun, till the beginn of the Establishments in the age of system.

So, the 1702 pattern is not the problem. Problem is the big 2 sheet 24pdr bronze pattern. I must take a look how to get this to an picture and then the 1702 pattern must adept to the 24pdr drawing, by reduce its diameter at same length of 5%. Not easy job ;)

Summary: The 18 pounder of this time mostly have 10ft and I presume the St. Albans use 10ft. A 10ft gun shape from 1719 pbut with form and placement of the 1702 brass pattern is the key here.

What I have is a bronze 32pdr drawing of 1719, 10ft. This gun is open to create too.

What is your modelling programm?

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly we would need to combine two plans: a 1719 10ft 24pdr for the barrel shape and a 1702 pattern for the placement of the rings. Sounds like a nice challenge. If you have both plans I would be happy to look into it: I have a strong math background so I should be able to handle it.

On the other hand the 32pdr is fine too, whichever has most priority. I use Maya by the way.

Wedori- though the St Albans is referred to as being from 1706, she had several rebuilds that would have been completely new designs, and essentially new ships with only the name retained, with the model we have being the 1737 version. So if the Ordinance had changed by then, that is what should be made for the ship. ( though there were probably plenty of 1702 pattern guns still in use) Just thought I'd let you know in case that changes things, the British system of rebuilding in the era is a very confusing one! :unsure

@Captain Armstrong: Yes, Ive read so and many, MANY shapes was cast and no drawing exist, Caruna writes. Between 1600 and 1700, he said are avery great amout of unlogic patterns and casts guns. He said "Gun that never exist". Some of them (I tould this in my thread) survive till the 7 YW.
The 18 pounder of 1706 is a very hard nut in pattern research so I recommend the bronze 32 pounder 10 ft (I have good source here).

Last edited:
Ehm... I'm afraid this discussion is getting a little beyond me :)

Perhaps you could just send me the drawings of the 32 pounder then: I'm eager to get started. Or are you guys still debating which guns need to be made in the first place?

Sorry, just a little bit of debate, but I don't think it's changed anything! :duel:we tend to be sticklers about historical accuracy around here, so just making sure everything was right before moving forward! :keithWedori should set you up with plans soon enough!

One of the most important things when work at a game is patience ;)
Here ist the drawing. I have need many time to prepare it with the carriage in the same scale and put both pages together and straighten it out!

I have add all things you need. Have fun! I add the edgeloops-pictures as edit later, for best ingame look of the Normals.

DRAWING:
32 pdr bronze, 10ft, Borgard pattern 1719
In BLUE I add the right mounting parts (in reason of the page change in this area) and the CWT calculation of the old weight form.

drawing32pdrguncarriacaull.jpg

I know the basics of 3D modelling; mainly using Blender
We have a bunch of files in .brf format, which is a Mount & Blade specific thingie. But they were originally made with Blender.
I wonder if you might be interested in trying to make those work. That might help us along a great deal. :cheers

@JOVE23: Just so you are aware I requested this as well. :doff

Hoi Pieter,

I'm currently working on this cannon for Wedori (in Maya), but I could have a look at it at some point. What do you mean with 'getting it to work': like exporting it into the CryEngine?

Even I have been able to export things from Blender so it can't be THAT hard! :type1 They weren't very pretty and I had no idea what I was doing, but it was able to import with a proxy, lol. It would be great to see all of those assets from M&B converted over. We could have a proper town!

Back