• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Officer perk contributions

I'm pretty sure there was a Sailmaker, just like on the cruiseships I worked on, there were separate Carpenters and Upholsterers.

I also think that while the officers might give the general commands of "make sail", a petty officer of some kind would handle the specifics.

It depends on how much of the hierarchy you want to model. I reckon the carpenter in the game at the moment is the officer in charge of all repairs. Various underlings direct more specific types of repairs, and sailors probably do the actual hammering, sewing and splicing.

All true. Well, personally I'm not too fussed on way or another. Was just being curious.

I wouldn't mind a more historically accurate hierarchy being modeled. But that isn't exactly very important! :cheeky

I personally favor Pieter's suggestion of placing the reduce sails damage with the navigator/sailing master, for three reasons:

1) gameplay: with the player advancing at 1.0 in sailing, the navigator is one of the most likely candidates to be replaced, so giving him an additional couple of perks helps his longevity a bit.

2) realism: these reduce damage perks are equally understandable as "emergency repairs" in one conception, or in another "prevent damage" or "make good with what you have". Noone could stitch up the sails in the few seconds after a cannon rips through them, so perhaps it makes just as much sense to think of the sailing master as intelligentally using the sails in battle to minimize damage or allow them to function in a slightly ripped state, or ordering replacement use of what remains.

3) player variety: the carpenter and doctor already get 2 lines of perks now, would be nice to vary up another officer's selection. Makes perk selection feel more interesting.

What about giving them to the first mate?

Ah, OK, we're talking about another set of damage reduction perks, not actual repair. In that case yes, I agree that they could go to the navigator. I wouldn't imagine the sails equivalent of "ship defence" perks to be about emergency repairs as the carpenter's are. But the navigator - or sailing master - is the one who can order a particular sail to be taken in so it doesn't rip any further, or observe that a particular block is damaged and a sail can't be adjusted until that has been fixed. Unlike the others, I can see how the sailing master can actively prevent or reduce damage.

Ah, OK, we're talking about another set of damage reduction perks, not actual repair.
Correct. :yes

So then we've got the "Navigator" (in his capacity of Sailing Master) or the First Mate (in his capacity of issuing specific commands in battle so that the captain can focus on the "big picture").
Either one works for me.

So the navigator already has some nice sailing perks. The first mate still is missing some value so would anyone mind if we add it to the first mate?

Perhaps the basic ability, as part of the first mate's "jack-of-all-trades" role. But I don't see how he'd be the one to avoid damage to sails and rigging. It's the sailing master's job to keep an eye on those while he's using them to best advantage to sail the ship.

Maybe take "Disguise" away from the quartermaster, so the only way you get it is from the first mate? Looking for the small details which would blow your cover while you're trying to use a false flag - that would be more likely to be the first mate's job than the quartermaster's.

Perhaps the basic ability, as part of the first mate's "jack-of-all-trades" role. But I don't see how he'd be the one to avoid damage to sails and rigging. It's the sailing master's job to keep an eye on those while he's using them to best advantage to sail the ship.

Maybe take "Disguise" away from the quartermaster, so the only way you get it is from the first mate? Looking for the small details which would blow your cover while you're trying to use a false flag - that would be more likely to be the first mate's job than the quartermaster's.
Quartermaster needs disguise to get the advance smuggling. its a requirement for that perk.
I could remove the turn180 from the navigator and give him both sail reduce perks.
That would mean no officer gets the turn180 and I don't think we want that either. It would be a nice one for first mate or something because it's quite a balsy move, and doesn't have so much to do with the ability to stear the ship but more with the guts to do it.
If we remove the requirement for shipspeedup we could assign it to someone else.

I also want to sugest to add the first damage control as requirement for instant repair and for advanced first aid you also require the improve potions perk

Perhaps remove Disguise as a requirement for Advanced Smuggling - it's not really involved in smuggling as it's a bonus to avoid false flag detection, and false flag has little to do with smuggling.

Club Hauling could indeed go to the first mate. It requires some level of synchronisation between the person at the wheel and the person at the anchor, so it's reasonable for the first mate to do the synchronising. Perhaps allow the first mate Maneuverability and Speed Increase so that he can get Club Hauling, though the navigator needs them as well as part of the progression towards Sea Wolf.

Basic damage control as a prerequisite for Emergency Repair seems reasonable, as Emergency Repair is effectively a form of damage control. But I'm less convinced about requiring Improved Potions for Advanced First Aid. If there's a third level Professional First Aid, comparable to the current Professional Ship Defence, then perhaps make Improved Potions a requirement for that.

Just wanted to say I like where this discussion is going.
Bit of back and forth going on, but you seem to be making progress. Keep up the good work! :cheers

Perhaps remove Disguise as a requirement for Advanced Smuggling - it's not really involved in smuggling as it's a bonus to avoid false flag detection, and false flag has little to do with smuggling.

Club Hauling could indeed go to the first mate. It requires some level of synchronisation between the person at the wheel and the person at the anchor, so it's reasonable for the first mate to do the synchronising. Perhaps allow the first mate Maneuverability and Speed Increase so that he can get Club Hauling, though the navigator needs them as well as part of the progression towards Sea Wolf.

Basic damage control as a prerequisite for Emergency Repair seems reasonable, as Emergency Repair is effectively a form of damage control. But I'm less convinced about requiring Improved Potions for Advanced First Aid. If there's a third level Professional First Aid, comparable to the current Professional Ship Defence, then perhaps make Improved Potions a requirement for that.
There is no third level for first aid, hence I wanted to have the second level a bit more challenging. It now only provides a 30% bonus. We could increase the percentage a bit so it's on the same par as the highest damage control percentage but give it the requirement.

For now disguiser only works with false flags, but we were talking in the past about having it work on land too so guard wouldn't spot you flying a false flag. That sounds a lot like being a bit sneaky and hence I added it to advance smuggling which also reduces the chance of being caught the coastguard.

I don't see how the first mate could increase speed or manouvrebility. You think we should keep speed increase as a requirement for club hauling?

If we assume the Navigator is more of a Sailing Master, it might make sense to give Speed and Manoeuvrability to him, but Club Hauling to the First Mate.
In that case, there indeed can be no requirement between the two.
Would that be a major objection or actually not so important?

For the Disguise one, I can see how that might make Smuggling easier.
But because it does that through actual gameplay, maybe it isn't necessary to enforce it by making the perks dependent on each other?

Why not add a third level of First Aid? Or, maybe add some crew damage reduction ability to Improved Potions, then it doubles up as the potion boost and the second level First Aid. Advanced First Aid then gets the same bonus as the top level Damage Control, and the overall result is that you get the three levels of First Aid and the involvement of Improved Potions.

For Disguise, the same principle still applies - it's the first mate who would inspect the shore party to make sure nothing is out of place that would give them away. Besides, the chance of being caught by the coastguard is presumably not dependent on the chance of a false flag being detected, otherwise there would be a significant advantage to smuggling where you're at peace with the nation so you aren't flying a false flag.

I thought both Speed Increase and Maneuvrability were needed for Club Hauling. Looking at "perks_init.c", though, it seems that Speed Increase is not needed. Maneuvrability is, though. I'm not too bothered which of them is required, if either, but if the first mate is to take over Club Hauling then he'll need whichever perk(s) it requires. As to how he'd increase them, that's part of his "jack-of-all-trades" role - he has some navigator ability but not all, so he can order the navigator to trim sails to best advantage if the navigator can't work it out for himself (either you don't have a navigator officer or you haven't given him the perks yet). With his involvement in all areas of ship management, he's the one with the overall view who can put it all together to execute that Club Hauling.

Why not add a third level of First Aid?

In realistic abilities you will only have 2. The third one also reduces crit chances. This can´t be done for crew damage.
Also @Cassadar only made 2 images :p, which I think is enough :).

Back