• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

On This Day...

Keith

Raping the Horses and Stealing the Women!
Staff member
Administrator
[imgleft]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_cQOyQjTP3GY/SzdzjT8-9qI/AAAAAAAAAIw/UJBFa27Du4w/s128/wiki.gif[/imgleft] It's a slow news week with Christmas and New Year's holidays. With any luck most people will be going back to work soon and we can start getting the wheels to turn again.

However, history never stops and on this day back in 1779 one of the great American Captains, Stephen Decatur was born. Steve had an outstanding career in the American Navy and saw conflict again France, England and the Algerians. Ultimately he suffered from Tall Poppy Syndrome back home getting killed in a duel. Steve seemed to live his life for his country and had many admirable qualities, it's well worth a read if you are unaware of him. Do so HERE.

Given command of the brig Argus in 1803, he took it to the Mediterranean for service in the First Barbary War against Tripoli. Once in the combat zone, Lieutenant Decatur commanded the schooner Enterprise and, on 23 December 1803, captured the enemy ketch Mastico. That vessel, taken into the U.S. Navy under the name Intrepid, was used by Decatur on 16 February 1804 to execute a night raid into Tripoli harbor to destroy the U.S. frigate Philadelphia, which had been captured after running aground at the end of October 1803. Admiral Lord Nelson is said to have called this "the most bold and daring act of the Age".

Nice find Keith! :cheers

Yeah, things are a bit slow on the news front at the moment, I haven't been able to find a lot the past couple of days. I am a bit familiar With Stephen Decatur, as one of the biggest city's close to me in Illinois was named for him. His story is definitely an interesting read! :onya

Back