• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Option to Disable Direct-Sail

Should there be a menu option to disable direct-sail?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mere_Mortal

Free Like a Radical
Storm Modder
I think it's direct-sail, I'm guessing so...

Quite often, way too often in fact, I am at sea and sometimes in the midst of a battle, when I am switched to another cell. Basically, direct-sail is seemingly not quite “direct” because the new cell has to be loaded, probably in the same fashion as going in and out of buildings in a town or between decks on the ship.

This is extremely aggravating when I'm about to capture a nice ship. Personally, I could do away with this feature because it serves no purpose for me, and generally throws me out of a battle. What I'm finding is that it is pointless trying to fight near to an island (it's okay if port guns can technically see the ships, it probably wouldn't switch in this case unless I sail too far out - the problem is sailing towards an island). It’s a really nice concept for spending a few hours sailing around without going back to the map, but that is something I very rarely do.

I don’t know, but as I’ve been thrown back-and-forth a couple of times there may be potential for somebody to get caught in a loop. Only once though, I have switched cell and then immediately switched back again, only to be switched once again... which I wonder might be because my ship was pointing back towards where it came from.

I've added a poll, simply answer with ‘yes’ or ‘no’ if you think it is worthwhile, or not, for the developers to add an option to the menu (it doesn’t matter if it is to enable or disable direct-sail, I imagine that if an option was added then it would be enabled by default).

Or another option might be, if possible, to prevent this from happening at all while the player is engaged.

Last edited:
Ahoy Mere_Mortal!!!
i like (personally) direct sail cuz it makes the game more realistic it kinda allow us to play the same way they used to do in the past trying to remember the sea checking compass writing notes(many notes) i voted yes in the poll cuz i would like it perfectly (i play iron mod)so yeah you can go to internal setting open it with notepad and change what you want in the mod you are playing then save it (i think i'm 80% sure ) so yeah i can give u advices on how to make it intresting cuz its one of the best things i like in potc nH thanks to Pieter Boelen for adding that tell me if i helped you mate

Ahoy matey!

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I really like the idea of it. It’s just that it causes me too much grief for it to be worthwhile. A fair few times now I’ve been, like... “OOooh, a pretty battleshi.... oh crap, where did it went!”. So yeah, I just get teleported some place and the scratch fleet has vamooshed.

:rumgone

Oh aye, found the option in the file... that’ll sort it out. Cheers!

Just press the [0]-key (the zero that isn't on your Numpad) to temporarily disable and re-enable DirectSail.
That feature was added basically at the same time the mod was made, specifically for the reasons you mention.

Also, DirectSail does not occur while you're still in "battle distance" of another hostile ship.

So you should already be covered there. :doff

Ahoy matey!

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I really like the idea of it. It’s just that it causes me too much grief for it to be worthwhile. A fair few times now I’ve been, like... “OOooh, a pretty battleshi.... oh crap, where did it went!”. So yeah, I just get teleported some place and the scratch fleet has vamooshed.

:rumgone

Oh aye, found the option in the file... that’ll sort it out. Cheers!
that's okay happy that i helped you and as Pieter Boelen said
Just press the [0]-key (the zero that isn't on your Numpad) to temporarily disable and re-enable DirectSail.
That feature was added basically at the same time the mod was made, specifically for the reasons you mention.

Also, DirectSail does not occur while you're still in "battle distance" of another hostile ship.

So you should already be covered there. :doff
you can do that
and Pieter Boelen i never knew that option of the "o" in keyboard thanks for the info

Is this persistent with a save-game? If it is then I suppose a menu option may not be necessary.

I’ve been lining up a broadside a few times when this has happened. Hmm... do you suppose they might have surrendered and I instantly switched cell? If that’s the case then it’s still very annoying because at least one ship might be capturable.

Is this persistent with a save-game? If it is then I suppose a menu option may not be necessary.
Should be, yes.

I’ve been lining up a broadside a few times when this has happened. Hmm... do you suppose they might have surrendered and I instantly switched cell? If that’s the case then it’s still very annoying because at least one ship might be capturable.
There is a lot of code at the top of PROGRAM\CCCdirectsail.c to ensure it doesn't trigger when it shouldn't.
Feel free to take a look at it there. :doff

Okay, so the hot-key is definitely sufficient in that case. It seems to be working, so I’m happy.

Oh good, I found the code which triggers the on-screen notification that it’s disabled, which shows rather frequently. Now I don’t have to look at it any more!

Okay, so the hot-key is definitely sufficient in that case. It seems to be working, so I’m happy.
:onya

Oh good, I found the code which triggers the on-screen notification that it’s disabled, which shows rather frequently. Now I don’t have to look at it any more!
Indeed I can imagine if you want it semi-permanently switched off, that reminder becomes a bit overkill after a while. :facepalm

Back