• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Order Specific Ship to be Built

Would you be interested in this feature?

• Total voters
@Robert Nutter: So you don't just want to be able to choose a ship to be built, you want to be able to choose the STATS of the ship.

Regardless of interface implementations, that could get very complicated very quickly. What are the limits on the stats you request?
Can you order a Tartane with a cargo hold of 1000 cubic metres? If not, then how much WOULD be OK?
The only possibility that I can think of is to allow you to choose the national design, just like you can using the console.
Different designs have different balancing on their stats.

I like your idea of NOT having this feature available at all for "any ships greater than a Brig".
That would at least limit the choice and avoid a huge list of ships in an interface that the user needs to scroll through.

If a function can be written to determine "all active ship IDs within certain criteria", then perhaps this could all be handled through dialog.
So you talk to the shipyard owner and:
- You say "I want a ship to be built"
- Get to choose from the "refShip.model" options available
- Get to choose from the "ship descriptions" available for that model, which correspond with the various paint schemes
- Get to choose the national variation (OR have this always linked to nation where you actually are)
- Then you'd have to pay and wait and eventually you can come back to collect your ship

That wouldn't be completely impossible and is effectively using GiveShip2Character while ingame in a not-cheaty way.
But it would still require those functions to be figured out AND the dialog to be written.

So.... Possible: Yes. Easy....? Not so much!

If you want a ship with certain stats and appearance you could try what I do. :nerbz

The Portagee, Dutch, and English ships have variable stats for a ship type. You might get a strong hull and a large crew or a weak hull and a small crew. Mostly they are around the default values.

The French ships always have a strong hull, large crew, good speed, and a small hold.

The Spanish ships always have a weak hull, small crew, low speed, and a large hold.

So first choose what nationality suits your needs best and only buy there.

Then paint the ship in the shipyard.

Profit! :aar

Yeah that's pretty much the length of it. I should probably have added that it is a slight deviation from the OP's idea.

Obviously it'd have pretty stringent limits, ie with your Tartane example cargo space'd be dependent on hull cannon qty ie if it's the War Tartane or lifeboat etc (which I know has already been discussed at length). I also realize coding doesn't grow on trees, but I do like your dialogue activation idea hypothetically. Maybe if someone joins who has tonnes of free time and is super fast at learning syntax it'd become more of a possibility, but I do certainly like the national design choice you speak of. How difficult would that be/do you think people would really want that function? As obviously it is *kind* of already there if you go between different shipyards and get lucky.

That's exactly my point, @Hylie Pistof . I know this is doable through the console but as far gameplay implementation is concerned, I'd be interested in seeing it! :cool:

How difficult would that be/do you think people would really want that function? As obviously it is *kind* of already there if you go between different shipyards and get lucky.
I'm not sure who may or may not want it. That is why I have a poll in the opening post.

My personal thinking is that this feature already almost exists in several separate ways.
But there isn't an easy way to make exactly THIS feature without spending substantial time and effort.
So as far as I'm concerned, this is hardly worth the trouble. :shrug

Back