• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Original ship lost during "A Famous Pirate"?

Daisy Blossom

Landlubber
I took a break from the Bartholemeu quest after "My first expedition" and just did some freelance privateering. I ended up with a nice fast galleon that I tricked out with tons of upgrades. After the duel with 'charles' and subsequent ship stealing it appears the storyline is just going to make me abandon the vessel I spent so much time getting, upgrading, etc. Is this correct? I don't need plot spoilers just a reassurance that my original vessel is obtainable again at some point as I was having a blast with it. I will go back to a previous save if that is not the case.

Thanks!

There is one point where you lose your ship and get her back again later.
If I recall, I coded it so that you do actually get your original ship back.
However, any upgrades aren't included, because technically she'd be a brand new ship that looks like the old one.

Later in the story, from what I understand, you indeed lose a ship for good.

I think @Pieter Boelen is confusing the situation. :yes

I believe what @Daisy Blossom means that they have got a great ship for themselves before the quest gives them the "Santiago" - if this is the case then in answer to the question in the original post

I ended up with a nice fast galleon that I tricked out with tons of upgrades. After the duel with 'charles' and subsequent ship stealing it appears the storyline is just going to make me abandon the vessel I spent so much time getting, upgrading, etc. Is this correct?

is :yes

The story gives you the " Santiago" and you don't loose it till the very end of the story.

Best solution I can think of is:-

You could before you do the Famous Pirate part of the story - put your favorite ship in storage at a shipyard and use another ship ( any old thing ) for this part of the story - then when you get given the "Santiago"by the story just go back to the shipyard and swap the ships over.

:ship

Hope you have a save from before you got the Santiago.

:cheers

Indeed when the story makes you lose the Santiago, you do get her (or whatever ship you were captaining before) back.
But that is the ONLY instance where you get your original ship back.

Not for me. I'd also done some privateering and was in command of a nice little brigantine when I arrived at Charlestown, which was replaced by the Santiago when I got to Pirate Settlement. When the Santiago was stolen by Eugene Martin (*), I did not get the brigantine back. It's a good thing I didn't swap command with the fast galleon which I'd also captured and which was under a companion officer serving as a support ship! (But after I'd got the Santiago, and being distinctly unimpressed, I berthed her at Bridgetown and then took over the fast galleon. When that was stolen in place of the Santiago, I reloaded back to Bridgetown so the Santiago was ready to be stolen and the fast galleon was back in her support role.)

(*) The plot says Pedro Rivera did it but if you check your "Ship" section in the F2 interface, you still have the Santiago until Eugene Martin replaces it with his ketch. No wonder he doesn't want the ketch back. xD

The ship that is stolen is stored here:
Code:
    case "gocuba":
  DeleteAttribute(pchar, "sailaway");     
       if(AUTO_SKILL_SYSTEM)
       {
         AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Leadership", 20000);
         AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Sneak", 200);
       }
       else { AddPartyExp(pchar, 20000); }     
       AddQuestRecord("Bad_Blaze", "9");
       CloseQuestHeader("Bad_Blaze");
       locations[FindLocation("Hispaniola_shore_02")].reload.l2.disable = 0;
       pchar.stolen.ship.type  = pchar.ship.type;
       pchar.stolen.ship.name  = pchar.ship.name;
       GiveShip2Character(pchar,"Ketch","l'Insouciante",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
       SetCharacterShipLocation(Pchar, "Hispaniola_shore_02");
       Pchar.quest.find_ketch.win_condition.l1 = "location";
       Pchar.quest.find_ketch.win_condition.l1.location = "Hispaniola_shore_02";
       PChar.quest.find_ketch.win_condition = "gocuba_1";

break;
You then get her back here:
Code:
    case "directbarco10":
       setCharacterShipLocation(characterFromID("Santiago"), "none");
       GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.stolen.ship.type,pchar.stolen.ship.name,-1,PIRATE,true,true); // PB
       DeleteAttribute(pchar,"stolen");
       SetCharacterShipLocation(Pchar, "Guadeloupe_shore_01");
       LAi_SetActorType(pchar);
       LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Roxanne Lalliere"));
       Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Roxanne Lalliere")].dialog.currentnode = "begin_54";
       LAi_ActorWaitDialog(CharacterFromID("Roxanne Lalliere"), Pchar);
       LAi_ActorDialog(pchar, characterFromID("Roxanne Lalliere"), "", 0.0, 1.0);

break;
By default, that ship would be the Santiago. But if you would use a different ship, a different ship would be stolen and therefore a different one returned to you later.

There are (at least) two occasions on which you lose your ship. The second is when the Santiago (or whatever you happen to be sailing instead) is stolen, and is presumably returned later. The first is when you get the Santiago at Nevis Pirate Settlement - it replaces whatever you had when you arrived at Charlestown and you don't get that back. Since the brigantine I had was a nicer ship than a caravela latina even without the latter's cargo problem, this was a bit annoying!

Ship replacements happen fairly often in the mod added storylines.
The only one that is considered to give your ship back later is when the Santiago is stolen. :shrug

Or that is to say: You can do free play during them, but as with all storylines, if you do your own thing, the story may not make logical sense anymore.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: Do you think we should do something like lock the player ship altogether so you can't switch to another ship?
Something similar was done for "professional navy" officers now, so that isn't impossible.

It doesn't actually break the quest if you have the "wrong" ship when your ship is lost. It's just annoying if you have something better than what is given in the storyline and then lose her. Tough. xD Anyway, if you've replaced the Santiago with something better, which then gets stolen and then returned to you later, I don't see the problem - in fact, it adds more impact to the theft if you have the ship you actually like rather than the Santiago, and that's the ship which then gets stolen - it gives you more motive to go and get her back. :D

As for the ship which gets replaced when you first get the Santiago, there are ways to preserve her once you've played the story and know what's going to happen. Besides, having a brigantine replaced by a caravela latina is mildly annoying but not as annoying as being forced to keep the original jackass bark. So I'm in favour of leaving things as they are.

Back