• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Override Nation Relations at Sea for Quest Purposes

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Is it possible to have some Personal and Pirate flags which are not available for players to choose? These could be used for quest NPC's, e.g. Silehard at the end of "Tales of a Sea Hawk", or the French ship sent to Sao Jorge in "Assassin". It would then be impossible for the player, whether by coincidence or by deliberate intent, to have the same flag as these NPC's. (In particular, I quite liked Silehard flying his British flag while in the company of the pirates, which isn't possible now, but if a hidden pirate flag identical to a normal British flag were possible then you'd still see him flying a "British" flag even though it's actually Pirate. But the player shouldn't be able to select this "British" Pirate flag.)

Flags are also defined somewhere right?
I think we could add an hidden Attribute to them and hide them from the Interface...
Or maybe even add only allowed persons to them. So for example the flags for a specific Person are only selectable for this one.

Is it possible to have some Personal and Pirate flags which are not available for players to choose?
Should be possible somehow, but I can think of no simple way to do it.
On the one hand, it would make sense to prevent random players from selecting Jack Sparrow's pirate flag for example.
On the other hand, why bother? If they want to do it, why should we stop them?

I'd be more concerned with those flag showing up randomly and unintentionally in the game.
If I recall, I added some code to prevent Jack's pirate flag from being used by random pirates, but looking at that code again recently, I don't understand anymore how it works.
If possible, I'd like to at least do the same for the Brave Black Flag pirate flag, because that one does show (one time for Claire Larousse :facepalm ).

But all that doesn'y apply to Personal Flags because they aren't used at random.

In particular, I quite liked Silehard flying his British flag while in the company of the pirates, which isn't possible now, but if a hidden pirate flag identical to a normal British flag were possible then you'd still see him flying a "British" flag even though it's actually Pirate. But the player shouldn't be able to select this "British" Pirate flag.)

In particular, I quite liked Silehard flying his British flag while in the company of the pirates, which isn't possible now, but if a hidden pirate flag identical to a normal British flag were possible then you'd still see him flying a "British" flag even though it's actually Pirate.
It isn't possible now, but we could probably figure out something so that Silehard truly DOES remain British but he also stays friendly to his pirate compatriots.
Right now I changed them to ALL be English as per @Talisman's suggestion.

To do this though, I could use a savegame to test with. As that is far into the Standard Storyline, perhaps we can have that as a Feature Request for Beta 5?
In any case, it isn't impossible and probably would be easier than preventing players from selecting that particular pirate flag. :yes

Flags are also defined somewhere right?
I think we could add an hidden Attribute to them and hide them from the Interface...
Or maybe even add only allowed persons to them. So for example the flags for a specific Person are only selectable for this one.
At the moment, there is no actual initialization per flag. It is just some for-loops and they come in groups of one texture file at a time.

To do this though, I could use a savegame to test with. As that is far into the Standard Storyline, perhaps we can have that as a Feature Request for Beta 5?
In any case, it isn't impossible and probably would be easier than preventing players from selecting that particular pirate flag. :yes

Attached is a Save ( about to sail to Cozumel & fight Silehard ) - made with game version dated 23 /August - so i don't know how compatable it now is :shrug

:drunk

Attachments

• -=Player=- Open Sea November 17th, 1751.7z
    637.7 KB · Views: 165
Thanks @Talisman! We can always try from that one; it may just work if I convince it enough. ;)

In the meantime, I split this into a separate feature request.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Open Sea March 22nd, 1751 1.zip
    949.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
@Pieter Boelen this was done already right?
Definitely not. And I'm not going to either until after Beta 4 has been released.

The current system makes sense, isn't broken and doesn't mess up quests as far as I'm aware.
So this will do for the time being.

Back