• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Parts of a Ship

Flying oliphaunts? Bombs away! :rolleyes:

In POTC we cannot model the tack, only the sheet. The location where the sheet attaches to the hull is determined more by where one wants the sail to end up than anything else. The attachment point has to be a certain distance below and behind the bottom of the sail.
In fact many modelers attach the sheets to the keel!

I realize the limitations of the game. In this case, I think that it's still semi-useful information, especially at the end, even though we won't really be able to do much with it.

I'll be updating the topic soon with a subject of your choice: Lifting and Depressing Sails, which had a significant impact on the speed and handling of a square rigger, or Sailing in Extreme Weather, which would include scudding and lying to. I plan to get both subjects done, but I'll start with the one you're most interested in.

Both topics should impact the sailing dynamics in the new Unreal Project.

Probably. Lifting sails could just be assigned +5% speed bonuses or something of the sort, while depressing sails could be assigned a similar speed reduction.

Lifting and Depressing Sails
(note that this only applies to full-rigged ships as presented)

Lifting sails exerted upward force on the bow of the vessel, reducing heeling (in turn increasing speed) and the amount of steering required to hold a course. They also had a positive effect on the vessel's speed.

These sails included all fore and aft heads'ls, The fore course (which had the greatest effect), and the Main stays'ls (which had the least effect).

Depressing sails exerted an upwards force on the stern, which in turn exerted a downwards force on the bow. This would increase heeling and increase the amount of steering required to hold a course. These sails generally reduced speed.

These sails included all sails not mentioned above as being lifting sails, excluding the spanker. The spanker did not have a significant effect one way or the other.

The greatest speeds could be achieved when these sails were set in the proper ratio, which differed from vessel to vessel.

When assigning values to sails for the Unreal project, feel free to ask me about proper bonuses or speed reductions.

Lifting sails in other rigs:
Brig: Fores'l, heads'ls
Schooner/ketch: heads'ls
Sloop: heads'ls
Cutter: heads'ls that are forward of the vessel's center of mass

Depressing sails in other rigs:
Brig: All Square sails except fores'l
Schooner/Ketch: All square sails, excluding running courses
Sloop: See schooner/ketch
Cutter: See schooner/ketch

Standing-to and scudding will be delayed so that I'll be able to compose the accompanying sketches.

Oops. Just got the urge to do at least one of the drawings in very nice watercolor. Now it's going to have to wait until I get back from Pilgrim.

Edit: leaving on the 23rd, 5:00 PM PST, gone for next two weeks. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I should have cell phone reception near the beginning and end of the trip, so I'll be checking in every so often.

Update: I have all my drawings illustrating the process of scudding finished. Now to find the time to upload them...

Very good sir, i just took a quick look and i have to say very well done. If i will ever model any ship this is a good start

Update: Real life and HoO have gotten in the way of any further progress here. I'll still take requests.

02222012deckforward.jpg

For future reference- Hawsers entering deck.

Xebec Stuff:

First I'll start with explaining why the sails were set like that:
c9f8090a-ae06-4b9f-a90d-31d8c5749257_zpse5bb2d97.jpg
When running downwind, the large mains'l would inevitably blanket, or block all of the air flow, to the fores'l. Since the fores'l was the sail furthest forward, it provided the greatest advantage when running downwind. Therefore, a captain would have two options. First he could furl the mains'l, allowing air to pass through to the fores'l. This would result in a loss of all of the thrust provided by the mains'l. The second option, pictured in figures two through four, was to position each yard so as to maximize the airflow to each sail. This allowed both the fore and mains'l to provide thrust, and so provided more speed than the first method.

This method is actually identical in principle to the asymmetrical setting of studdingsails on square-rigged vessels, and the proper setting of sails on a square rigger in general.

Figure one illustrates the theoretical advantages of using a similar system to option two discussed above, in which the xebec is broad-reaching. This minimizes blanketing. However, if the xebec were to attempt to sail close-hulled with its sails trimmed as pictured, the fores'l would be nearly useless.

Next, the problem I have with the way the sails seem to be working ingame:
9acbe9da-1c05-41a5-99d3-86f0759a61b2_zpsd724efc2.jpg
In this illustration, you can see a xebec close-reaching. The diagrams to the right indicate the approximate thrust of each sail. With the sails set apparently on opposite tacks, as seen in the uppermost diagram, the resulting forward net force is very close to zero. Keep in mind that these are broad approximations. Having the sails trimmed like that accomplish exactly the same thing as backing the mainmast on a full rigged ship- the vessel is hove to, with little forward movement.

So, after all is said and done:
Yes, having the sails set like that is accurate much of the time. The problem arises when you keep them set like that all of the time, which prevents the vessel from sailing upwind. I equate setting sails like that on a lateen vessel to the use of stuns'ls on a ship. When I said that that was outside the scope of the game, I meant that it was outside the scope of the game in the same way as stuns'ls: They couldn't be used in all conditions, and the game won't allow us to to pick and choose different settings. To that extent, we have to make due with only one sail scheme that will work in all conditions.

1381606_10153422613835374_1171783128_n.jpg

Rudder well and rudder post on Lady Washington. The rudder appears to be chocked so that it can't move. (That's the block of unpainted wood in the center of the picture.)

Back