• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Payment feature removed from Steam Skyrim Workshop

Red Back Dude

HoO Team Member
Promotion
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Ahoy!

The announcement of paid mods on steam caught a lot of people by surprise and opened one hell of a can of worms almost a week ago now with arguments on both sides for and against raging. Compared to the front page announcement for paid mods Steam has made a relatively quiet retraction of the system on the Steam Workshop forum also stating that all Paid Mod transactions had been reversed.

The announcement however did not rule out a future implementation of the system.

For Pirates Ahoy i could not imagine the New Horizons mod costing money the conflicts this would cause or even if the New Horizons mod would be possible with any such system in place.

Announcement from the steam Workshop Forum -

"We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know."

Attachments

• 37902-3-1373061441.jpg
    37902-3-1373061441.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 25
Ayup! They stepped into a BIG pile which shows that they have no idea what they are doing. Most mods are built upon previous mods and the earlier modders might not want their material used in a pay to play system.

In POTC terms build 14 is built upon build 13 which is built upon build 12 and b11 and b10 and b9............. If POTC went pay to play how many of those old modders would suddenly show up either demanding a piece of the action or forbidding their content from being used? Valve should have known this.

Thanks for posting this mate, I haven't had a lot of free time lately. That link I posted on to the petition Twitter got over 133,000 votes in less than 3 days, I can just imagine what there email servers were chewing through. They certainly had no clue what they were getting themselves in to, donations for modding is one thing, forcing a pay only scheme is quite another. The corporate suits will simply never be able to see past the dollar signs. This is one example why I didn't want to accept donations for Hearts of Oak, once money gets involved, things can get crazy fast.

Thanks for posting this mate, I haven't had a lot of free time lately. That link I posted on to the petition Twitter got over 133,000 votes in less than 3 days, I can just imagine what there email servers were chewing through. They certainly had no clue what they were getting themselves in to, donations for modding is one thing, forcing a pay only scheme is quite another. The corporate suits will simply never be able to see past the dollar signs. This is one example why I didn't want to accept donations for Hearts of Oak, once money gets involved, things can get crazy fast.

No Problem i understand how it is hopefully i will have the time to post and be more active very soon :)

Interesting how they worded the removal of it though, leaving the door open for some form of this to maybe return in the future. Gotta love that attitude.

"We'll try again in 2016, you guys won't mind then..right?" :p

http://techraptor.net/content/steam-now-allows-game-developers-to-ban-users-from-their-games

http://steamcommunity.com/actions/WhatIsGameBan

What is a Game Ban?
Banned by Game Developer (Game Ban)
Because nobody likes playing with cheaters.

Playing games should be fun. In order to ensure the best possible online multiplayer experience, Valve allows developers to implement their own systems that detect and permanently ban any disruptive players, such as those using cheats.

Game developers inform Valve when a disruptive player has been detected in their game, and Valve applies the game ban to the account. The game developer is solely responsible for the decision to apply a game ban. Valve only enforces the game ban as instructed by the game developer.

For more information about a game ban in a specific game, please contact the developer of that game.

It only gets better huh ?

I have decided to stop buying games on steam i did it for years up until recently so i only have a small game library there but this is just too much imagine if the Ravens Cry Devs could ban people who spoke out against their train wreck.

Last edited:
Yeah, I pulled down all the game reviews I'd had posted on there. Some developers are so wacky I've seen them take issue with positive ones :D

Originally, I hated Steam with a passion, there is probably more than one of my ranting posts still on the forum somewhere. The last couple of years my opinion had begun to change with their bashing of Microsoft and their embracing of Linux as a viable gaming platform. However, the last few months have proven that Valve are still the same greedy corporate entity they have always been, and will try and squeeze every penny out of gamers that they can. I am rethinking Steam as well, perhaps GOG deserves more of my money, they have added a lot of good games lately, some of them not old at all.

Some developers just can't stand criticism, no matter how constructive it is or how it is worded. They want to control every aspect of a game, including the reviews, and sometimes even who and when you are allowed access to a game that you own. They feel they own the software, even after you have paid them for it. It is software that you paid for running on computer equipment that you also paid for. After all, they feel that they are just licensing you their "intellectual property", whatever the hell that means. Perhaps one day someone will actually come up with a coherent definition that isn't consonantly changing; and also isn't influenced by politicians, lobbyists and corporate lawyers and actually makes logical sense. I wouldn't hold my breath though!

[sarcasm]Perhaps I should get me a lawyer and sue my employer for all my "intellectual property" that I have provided to them to speed up production processes or produce better quality checks and better quality parts. After all, I "authored" those processes, and that is well above my "Machine Operator" pay grade designation. Maybe I could even get compensated for every part I produce, because though they own the machines and bought the material used to create it, it was my finger pushing the buttons and programming the machines![/sarcasm]

I got onto Steam right away because of Half Life 2 and it was a good thing at first.

But because I insist on having a hard copy of every game I buy I never actually bought anything there. But even when I have the dvd in the drive I still can't play it until I download it from Steam! WTF?

Steam bashing? Count me in!
I really don't like that to play a game you already installed, you must allow Steam to update itself all the time in order to play it.
I just want to play a game, dammit!

And on those bombshells-
Got my hands on the Alpha last week and it is pretty nifty. I would post a screenshot but their exact words were.

"Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made."

Cant recall steam ever saying please :p

Last edited:
Back