• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Pc Upgrade

What should I upgrade?

• The GPU

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Processor

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • The Motherboard

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • My RAM

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Case (Haf 932)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nevermind.
After it was turned on for about two hours I turned it off, but when I was going to show my dad it was working an hour or so later it did nothing. yay

It does look like everything is functioning properly in the videos! Congratulations, your first computer build!! :woot

Now the fun part of trying to track down problems! :modding

What exactly do you mean by "it did nothing"? Did the power supply come on? Did the fans or spin up or any lights come on? Did you hear any diagnostic beep codes?
From your videos, it looked like everything was working. It looks like you did get the Kingston ram, good choice!! :onya

I do have one question though, did you actually reinstall Windows clean? or did you just plug in your old hard drive and boot off of it?

Also, you did a EZ Tune that is for overclocking, I really do suggest NOT to do any over clocking until you know the system is stable. In my opinion, you really do not need to overclock at all, it is not worth the risk to the hardware from the minimal performance gain.

Also, you did a EZ Tune that is for overclocking, I really do suggest NOT to do any over clocking until you know the system is stable. In my opinion, you really do not need to overclock at all, it is not worth the risk to the hardware from the minimal performance gain.
That does sound very wise. :yes

It does look like everything is functioning properly in the videos! Congratulations, your first computer build!! :woot

Now the fun part of trying to track down problems! :modding

What exactly do you mean by "it did nothing"? Did the power supply come on? Did the fans or spin up or any lights come on? Did you hear any diagnostic beep codes?
From your videos, it looked like everything was working. It looks like you did get the Kingston ram, good choice!! :onya

I do have one question though, did you actually reinstall Windows clean? or did you just plug in your old hard drive and boot off of it?

I didn't it install Windows clean. I just took my old drives with the Windows still on there and it worked. The first time. The second, and after that all the times, it looked like it worked except for the screen, which wasn't showing anything.

But I (kind of) fixed the problem! I took out my AMD Radeon HD 5870 card and it booted! I tweaked the BIOS a little bit so it is now in ASUS Best performance mode, (top right corner thingy) and I made it so the CPU Fan is always on at 50% or more at the higher temperatures. I did not know I overclocked, though! How can I stop it being overclocked before it voids my warranty?

I now use the Intel integrated graphics and they are *BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*. I can't even play Portal ONE on the LOWEST setting with more than 32 fps... so yeah. I didn't even dare open Scrap Mechanic or Space Engineers after that miserable slideshow. Blender wouldn't even start up, because it is so bad... I really need that new graphics card ASAP!

Fresh install of windows would be the go by the sounds of it , if the card was fine before it should be ok now.

But i mean it could be a friggin thousand other things like the graphics card card not being seated properly in the slot or static damage.

I didn't it install Windows clean. I just took my old drives with the Windows still on there and it worked. The first time. The second, and after that all the times, it looked like it worked except for the screen, which wasn't showing anything.

That is why you are having problems. The copy of Windows is setup with all the drivers for your old motherboard, it will not work well at all that way with your new motherboard, in fact, I am shocked that it actually booted at all! :shock

I am assuming that you did not get your Geforce card yet?

You need to put your 5870 back in and get your Windows 10 DVD and do a clean install from scratch. After Windows is completely installed, you need to install all the drivers for your motherboard, there should have been a CD that came with it with all the drivers on it. If not, you can get them from ASUS web page.

But I (kind of) fixed the problem! I took out my AMD Radeon HD 5870 card and it booted! I tweaked the BIOS a little bit so it is now in ASUS Best performance mode, (top right corner thingy) and I made it so the CPU Fan is always on at 50% or more at the higher temperatures. I did not know I overclocked, though! How can I stop it being overclocked before it voids my warranty?

You were correct to check the video card first, they can cause a lot of issues, in this case though, it is your Windows 10 install. I am not familiar with that BIOS, but if there is a Stable Performance option, I would set it to that for now. The default for the CPU fan probably won't turn it on till it reaches a certain temprature, but I would recommend running it all the time.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the EZ Tune settings for now, you should be fine, most of those settings are probably at the minimum for overclocking, it is not a very aggressive over clock. However, if you wish, you can clear the CMOS data and that will take the settings back to default. The easiest way to do this is to short the jumper on pin 1, it shows you how to do this on page 19 of your user manual. Just move the little piece of plastic over to pin one, wait a minute, then move it back, that will reset it to factory defaults.

I now use the Intel integrated graphics and they are *BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*. I can't even play Portal ONE on the LOWEST setting with more than 32 fps... so yeah. I didn't even dare open Scrap Mechanic or Space Engineers after that miserable slideshow. Blender wouldn't even start up, because it is so bad... I really need that new graphics card ASAP!

Yeah, the Intel Integrated graphics is complete crap! Time for a clean install! All the stuff you want to keep is backed up right? :wp

That is why you are having problems. The copy of Windows is setup with all the drivers for your old motherboard, it will not work well at all that way with your new motherboard, in fact, I am shocked that it actually booted at all! :shock

I am assuming that you did not get your Geforce card yet?

You need to put your 5870 back in and get your Windows 10 DVD and do a clean install from scratch. After Windows is completely installed, you need to install all the drivers for your motherboard, there should have been a CD that came with it with all the drivers on it. If not, you can get them from ASUS web page.

You were correct to check the video card first, they can cause a lot of issues, in this case though, it is your Windows 10 install. I am not familiar with that BIOS, but if there is a Stable Performance option, I would set it to that for now. The default for the CPU fan probably won't turn it on till it reaches a certain temprature, but I would recommend running it all the time.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the EZ Tune settings for now, you should be fine, most of those settings are probably at the minimum for overclocking, it is not a very aggressive over clock. However, if you wish, you can clear the CMOS data and that will take the settings back to default. The easiest way to do this is to short the jumper on pin 1, it shows you how to do this on page 19 of your user manual. Just move the little piece of plastic over to pin one, wait a minute, then move it back, that will reset it to factory defaults.

Yeah, the Intel Integrated graphics is complete crap! Time for a clean install! All the stuff you want to keep is backed up right? :wp
I indeed didn't get my new graphics , yet. I'm broke after buying these things.

And I'll have to backup a lot of things. Ugrh! That'll take a loooooooong while... :/

And I'll have to backup a lot of things. Ugrh! That'll take a loooooooong while... :/
But you've got a huge secondary HD already in your computer, so that helps a LOT!

Plus, knowing how to completely reinstall a computer is definitely something worth knowing! :onya

Everything SHOULD be backupped now, but I am still a bit anxious... :eek:

I have written all programs I need down on a piece of paper and looked in the configuration screen and backupped everything that needed it. I also looked in all the other folders for hidden programs that need bankrupting. I put all backups on my secondary hard drive.

We've reinstalled Windows and everything works!
The GPU too! :bounce :woot :onya

Excellent! Glad you got everything up and working good mate! :woot

That 5870 is still a decent GPU and should be capable of handling most games, it will certainly handle them better than the Intel Integrated graphics anyway. :onya

I think you will notice a pretty good difference in Blender with that speedy new CPU though! :thumbs1

We calculated earlier on a single test case that it was about 80% faster.
That's good going, that is!

Your help has been really very valuable, @Thagarr! So thanks from my side as well. :cheers

Back