• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Performance issues when in 3D sailing

Mirsaneli

Privateer
Storm Modder
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community. Found this Mod on mod database website. I have been playing this Mod for about two weeks now. It has changed the original game so drastically that it became 100 times better than the original POTC. Well done for that! The storylines are great. I am playing Hoist the colours storyline at the moment.
Now, to the main reason why I'm posting this thread.
The game behaves great and without problems when walking through dungeons, caves, jungles, towns and world map. However, when sailing in 3rd and 1st person mode, especially in big battles, I notice a bit of chopping which is driving me crazy. I also noticed a fps drop in those situations, but am unable to confirm that, cause I don't know how to enable fps ingame. I installed the Mod with Widescreen textures enabled and with ENB Mod. I dont have Intel graphic card. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix this issue, cause the sea battles are now irritating and pointless when you have to look at your ship stopping and moving, stopping and moving etc. When firing cannons though I didn't notice any stuttering, but its still the question of a few miliseconds, so maybe whole sea battle lags, but my eye can't see that.

Also, sometimes I get screen flickering when moving the camera around ship, but its just occasional and it happens randomly, not on every battle. I hope I explained everything right. I could post a video on Youtube if needed.

Thanks in advance. Hope there is a way to fix it, or I will have to switch to the GoF Mod, which doesn't seem so interesting to me.

P.S. Is there a blood and gore Mod for New horizons?

I forgot to write my PC specifications:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
Nvidia GT630 2GB DDR3
4 RAM DDR3
Windows 10

Ahoy there matey, which modpack version are you running?

There was an on Sea performance issue in the latest public release versions, but I fixed that a few months ago.
This fix and many more are included in the Build 14 Beta 4 WIP; see the link on my signature.

It does require a new game to be started and we're still working on improving it before officially releasing it.
You'd be most welcome to try it though and give us more feedback.

There isn't a blood and gore mod at the moment, but we do have someone trying to make that happen:
Feature Request - Gore/Blood | PiratesAhoy!

:ahoy

I had severe choppiness at sea for a very long time also, and it was finally fixed a few weeks ago. I highly recommend you get the latest mod pack, written in green, in Pieter's signature.

For another possible part of your problem, does your CPU have hyperthreading? POTC only uses one core without hyperthreading and will overload that one core.

This is the one that I downloaded:

Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean

It is Build 14 Beta 3.4. I guess the one you are pointing to is newer version. Damn it, I already got Black Pearl. So I will have to resart again?

@Hylie Pistof, about the CPU hyperthreading, I don't really know what's that? Can you explain me or give a link where I can get info about it?
In windows 7 there was a way to disable other cores, but in Windows 10 I still havent found that option.

Indeed the one I linked to is a lot newer and the problem is fixed in that one. :yes

It is quite easy to get the Black Pearl at the start of a new game if you want.
Either through cheats or by selecting Barbossa as your Free Play storyline character.
When you use that second option, be careful! Default setting has him cursed at game start, but that is easily changed.

Hmmm, no... I hate cheats... I will start over. I like the storylines. Actually, that's what makes the Mod (along with other features) much more interesting than the original game. Is it true that GoF does not have storylines?

You didn't answer me about the blood and gore. Is there an addon for that? :)

Indeed GoF does not add any more quest content than the original AoP 2 game already had.

And I did respond to your blood and gore request in my first post above.

A quick google search can give you lots of links explaining hyper threading. What it does is take the tasks in a single core program and spread them around on the other cores as well. This allows the CPU to handle tasks that would bottleneck a single core. In my experience POTC is a single core game that can use up to 5 ghz of processor power, and probably more. I say 5 ghz because that is about how fast my CPU runs and sometimes that one core is saturated as it does not have hyper threading.

My last intel CPU was a Q6600 and it did not have hyper threading. The later 2600k also does not have hyper threading, so I suspect your Q9450 also does not have it. So. Knowing that mine can get saturated at 5 ghz means that yours at 2.66 ghz almost certainly is saturated and performance suffers. That may be a reason for your stuttering.

Indeed GoF does not add any more quest content than the original AoP 2 game already had.

I'm really sorry, I missed that part :)

Tnx, it would be a nice feature and it would make the game complete in my opinion. One more question, how did you make the ships so dynamic when in Port? I noticed that while I'm running around the Port, there are ships sailin towards the docks and sailing away. That's so awesome. I don't remember that original POTC had that included. Though I played Sea Dogs and POTC a long time ago :)

A quick google search can give you lots of links explaining hyper threading. What it does is take the tasks in a single core program and spread them around on the other cores as well. This allows the CPU to handle tasks that would bottleneck a single core. In my experience POTC is a single core game that can use up to 5 ghz of processor power, and probably more. I say 5 ghz because that is about how fast my CPU runs and sometimes that one core is saturated as it does not have hyper threading.

My last intel CPU was a Q6600 and it did not have hyper threading. The later 2600k also does not have hyper threading, so I suspect your Q9450 also does not have it. So. Knowing that mine can get saturated at 5 ghz means that yours at 2.66 ghz almost certainly is saturated and performance suffers. That may be a reason for your stuttering.

Tnx, I get it now. I googled about hyperthreading. Unfortunately, my CPU does not support it. Any alternative?
I downloaded the Beta 4 version. Pieter says that he fixed that issue, and I believe that it should work now. I will test it and report back.
Thanks a lot for your help, guys. Very friendly community.

I have started a new game with same storyline: Hoist the colours. So far so good. No lag or chopping when sailing. I have noticed a new issue however. When entering a new place (Port, Town, Jungle, Store etc.), there seems to occur a fps drop after loading that new place, but that lasts less than 10 seconds, and everything runs smooth. I didn't have that problem in version 3.4. I would rather have that issue than the one with chopping in sea battles :D

The ships sailing around in Port are indeed a mod added feature.
If I recall @a simple virtual sailor made a discovery which @Captain Maggee and myself then made into that feature.

The slow down after loading a location is because of @Levis' brand new Leveling System.
That is rather heavy on game performance so it is either that or stupidly long loading times.
At least it ends after a few seconds and should get better as the game progresses.

The ships sailing around in Port are indeed a mod added feature.
If I recall @a simple virtual sailor made a discovery which @Captain Maggee and myself then made into that feature.

The slow down after loading a location is because of @Levis' brand new Leveling System.
That is rather heavy on game performance so it is either that or stupidly long loading times.
At least it ends after a few seconds and should get better as the game progresses.

It doesn't bother me as long as naval battles don't lag :) thanks for your help matey :)
I guess we can cloes the thread.

I guess we can cloes the thread.
Marked as "Solved" then. :doff

In case you're interested, here's our original discussion on that 3D Sailing Mode performance issue:
Included in Build - Improve Performance in 3D Sailing Mode | PiratesAhoy!

As for the blood and gore, I'd recommend you join in the discussion on the thread I posted. Maybe you can help out making it happen.
Until now nobody cared to make it happen, but now that there are two of you, perhaps you can team up and get something working. :onya

In the meantime, I hope you'll be able to enjoy our Beta 4 WIP version. :doff

Marked as "Solved" then. :doff

In case you're interested, here's our original discussion on that 3D Sailing Mode performance issue:
Included in Build - Improve Performance in 3D Sailing Mode | PiratesAhoy!

As for the blood and gore, I'd recommend you join in the discussion on the thread I posted. Maybe you can help out making it happen.
Until now nobody cared to make it happen, but now that there are two of you, perhaps you can team up and get something working. :onya

In the meantime, I hope you'll be able to enjoy our Beta 4 WIP version. :doff

I have tested it with the Sparrow Hawk frigate, and there is not lag. I guess there won't be any chopping with Warships either :)

About the blood mod, it would be nice to have it, cause in AoP2 it looks pretty good, but I don't know anything about modding the Storm engine. I'm a
complete noob :D

I will join the discussion though :)

Back