• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Perks Mod V2.6 Unlockable Perks! (READABLE BOOKS!)

Hello @Najib , you should first install the modpack and use the latest wip update (see the pinned topic in this forum). Then you can apply this change. The books etc are already in the modpack. This last update is just some balancing.

If you have the latest WIP update you can install this to have the fetch quest unlock 2 more perks.
Extract this to your POTC folder

As promised, you can find the files here: http://piratesahoy.net/build/coas/Books.7z
There are three different levels for each book subject, ranging from "really silly stuff" to "expert knowledge".
This was originally done by @Darkhymn, @FireBat and @Thagarr for Age of Pirates 2: Gentlemen of Fortune.

See here for an example of the low-level navigation book, which was written mainly for entertainment purposes:
View attachment 16273

Just saw this. As I did most of the code on that mod (though I have none of the files any longer), is there anything that I can do to help with any of that here, or is this all set and working?

Edit: I also just downloaded that package and it looks like a late beta, rather than the release version of the mod. The most up-to-date versions seem to be gone forever. They were released here and here, but it seems that the old pyratesahoy download/ftp server is gone, and I no longer have copies of the updated mod.

Last edited:
Hey Darkhymn! Good to see you in these waters again. :cheers

Code-wise, it is all technically working. Though I only tried to find the most appropriate GoF book textures to go with the existing PotC Build books.
So they don't always match up perfectly. For example, why is "Cooking With Albatross" telling you all about being lucky, without actually mentioning albatrosses being bad luck?!?

Not all textures were used, since we had less books in PotC and also the fencing system doesn't distinguish between different types of swordfighting.
The book textures themselves might also need some work as I don't think they fit in perfectly with the PotC interfaces.

In other words: It could indeed use a bit more work here and there. :yes

Hey Darkhymn! Good to see you in these waters again. :cheers
Thanks! Maybe I'll even contribute!

Code-wise, it is all technically working. Though I only tried to find the most appropriate GoF book textures to go with the existing PotC Build books.
So they don't always match up perfectly. For example, why is "Cooking With Albatross" telling you all about being lucky, without actually mentioning albatrosses being bad luck?!?

Not all textures were used, since we had less books in PotC and also the fencing system doesn't distinguish between different types of swordfighting.
The book textures themselves might also need some work as I don't think they fit in perfectly with the PotC interfaces.
I could very well do some rewriting for the PotC books, though I'd probably have to find a whole new stock book texture. I'm not sure where Thagarr (I think) got the original, though I suppose we could ask him (if indeed it was him, I know he was responsible for some of the early text, at least). Perhaps we could find some stock images that more closely match the PotC interface (I haven't seen it for a very long time).

This is what the books look like in PotC:
PotC Book.jpg

As you can see, the main "ugly" aspect is just that it doesn't really fit, leaving a lot of unused black space above and below.

I could very well do some rewriting for the PotC books, though I'd probably have to find a whole new stock book texture. I'm not sure where Thagarr (I think) got the original, though I suppose we could ask him (if indeed it was him, I know he was responsible for some of the early text, at least). Perhaps we could find some stock images that more closely match the PotC interface (I haven't seen it for a very long time).
There are quite a few available on the Internet. Found these in a quick Google search:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/215/d/0/Old_Blank_Journal_by_goRillA_iNK.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...YNs/jg6xVI0YTjc/w800-h800/open_book_blank.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...emplate-psd-by-dougitdesign-on-deviantart.jpg

That image has been squished vertically. They looked something like this in CoAS. Are you sure there isn't code somewhere limiting the vertical resolution of the image? I'm not feeling well today, nor do I have any Akella games installed at the moment, but I could break out the old modding tools and try to do a quick comparison between the book-related bits of this and the outdated 0.9.9 version of CSGtP. Wish I could find any of the full release versions anywhere. I keep having to rebuild that dang mod.

The texture files themselves are square and indeed being squashed into the area that is usually occupied by a map.
Just editing the texture files to make full use of their height should solve it.

We also have a system in place where you can just put plain text in a file and it's shown on a book but this need a bit more work too. I will look at that later when I have time again.

This is what I was able to find: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...erks-readable-books.21355/page-11#post-480609
I don't think it is up-to-date though. There are, of course, also the in-game hints (show on Apprentice and Journeyman level).
If you don't want to play on those levels, just temporarily switch down, read the hints, and switch back up.

Alternatively, look through RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\AbilityDescribe.txt and search for "locked" in that file.

WoodesRogers was written before perks could be locked. The easiest way to avoid trouble with that storyline
would be if I could have all perks unlocked from start. Not to have to go to internalsettings.c and change.
Can you help me with a line or two for that. Maybe in WoodesRogers.c where the other exceptions are? :confused:

UnlockPerk("perkname");

Add it for all locked perks in that file.
I will make an unlock all later.

@Hylie Pistof , I want to add a perk for smuggeling. Its a intergral part of the game but you cant improve on it etc.
What Kind of perk do you think would be good for smuggeling? I was thinking about something to reduce the Change you are caught.

WoodesRogers was written before perks could be locked. The easiest way to avoid trouble with that storyline
would be if I could have all perks unlocked from start. Not to have to go to internalsettings.c and change.
Can you help me with a line or two for that. Maybe in WoodesRogers.c where the other exceptions are? :confused:
Horatio Hornblower, being another tightly bound story, also needs the perks to be unlocked. If you go off doing your own thing in an attempt to unlock them, you're probably going to run into trouble with the storyline.

Would it be possible to cut down the amount of sea based abilities by 50% or more? By that I mean all of the things like ship defense and cannon reload time and volley range add up to too much of an advantage and sea battles get boring. They are much harder and more exciting early in the game.

Land combat is fine now. I made it to level 45 or so and was still getting killed every now and then.
If you don't want perks then there's a very simple solution which requires no modification to the program at all - just don't take them. ;) Please don't ruin the game by disabling them for those of us who do like them.

If you don't find the game interesting when you get to high level, then retire that character and restart. If I'm at level 45 then I've probably done everything I want within that storyline and it's time for me to start over with another storyline.

Last edited:
If you don't want perks then there's a very simple solution which requires no modification to the program at all - just don't take them. ;) Please don't ruin the game by disabling them for those of us who do like them.

If you don't find the game interesting when you get to high level, then retire that character and restart. If I'm at level 45 then I've probably done everything I want within that storyline and it's time for me to start over with another storyline.

This is something which is already implemented. its only on iron mode etc.

@Hylie Pistof , I want to add a perk for smuggeling. Its a intergral part of the game but you cant improve on it etc.
What Kind of perk do you think would be good for smuggeling? I was thinking about something to reduce the Change you are caught.

Since I can no longer smuggle I have no opinion on any perks assigned to smuggling.

@Grey Roger : Early in the game I am desperate for some way to keep from getting sunk and get those perks, then later after my skills get better the game gets too easy. Yes, not getting the perks is the best solution but sometimes it takes more will power than I have to be that patient. So far in this game I am being patient. I am up to level 13 and just managed to sink my first ship and complete my first treasure quest after failing three times.

Back