• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Various Questions

Gunnar

Sailor Apprentice
Just met this fine gentleman in pirates tavern ^^ Is it just for flavour or theres something more to it ? :)

Hmm, you ... err he wouldn't speak to me, it looked like conversation starts but with no text from the other Pieter and my answer was blank also... is it level dependant or I need some better relation with pirates? :)

Haha I can see that :) Ok so i came back and talked again, the quest was granted(and finished^^) No idea why it didnt happen first time ...

@Gunnar: On the first occasion, was the dialog entirely blank or did you both say "..."?

If a dialog is completely blank then something is wrong with the dialog files. If that happens again, please post "system.log" and, if it exists, "error.log". Those should help nail down the problem.

@Pieter Boelen: The default exchange between Pieter Boelen and you is "..." both ways. You need to be level 11 or better to trigger the side quest dialog. There appears to be a slight discrepancy, in that in "PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c", Pieter is placed here:
Code:
     case "Turks_start_check":
       if(makeint(PChar.rank) >= 10)
       {
         ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Pieter Boelen"), "Turks_Tavern", "goto", "goto6");
       }
     break;
And "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Pieter Boelen_dialog.c" checks this:
Code:
      if (makeint(pchar.rank) > 10 && CheckQuestAttribute("Turkshelp", ""))
So if you are exactly level 10, he's placed in Turks Island tavern but he'll fail that check and go to the default "..." dialog. If you've sailed away, done something else, gone up a level and returned, you're now level 11 and that check will pass.

Suggestion: either change one of the conditions so they match, or change the default dialog to say something like "You're not quite ready yet, go and do some more pirating."

If I recall it was like "the other Pieter" dialogue was blank and my possible answer was "..." Its too late for log I am affraid, next time ill encounter something suspicious ill take a log.
By the way why there are spanish soldiers guarding Tortuga if its a pirate town? There were stupid enough to accuse me of spying ^^

Suggestion: either change one of the conditions so they match, or change the default dialog to say something like "You're not quite ready yet, go and do some more pirating."
Dialog seems better to me so that players are more likely to notice he's got something to offer.

If I recall it was like "the other Pieter" dialogue was blank and my possible answer was "..." Its too late for log I am affraid, next time ill encounter something suspicious ill take a log.
No worries; sounds like it's technically "Not a Bug" but definitely somewhat unclear. :facepalm

By the way why there are spanish soldiers guarding Tortuga if its a pirate town? There were stupid enough to accuse me of spying ^^
What do you consider "guarding"? The "soldiers" inside the town should be either Pirate or French; definitely not Spanish.
They are normally French (because Tortuga historically was French), but could be Pirate if you play the Jack Sparrow storyline OR decided to officially join the pirates.

If there are truly Spanish around, please specify exactly what is Spanish.
Could be the Smuggling Coastguard at sea, random patrols in town OR the fixed town guards.

Tortuga is technically part of the "Hispaniola" island model, which probably has "smuggling nation" set to Spain.
So if there are Spanish soldiers ashore in Tortuga, probably there is some code looking at that "smuggling nation" instead of the actual "town nation".

If you're playing in "Golden Age of Piracy" (1680 - 1739), French and Spanish uniforms are very similar.
Soldier_Fra_17.jpg Soldier_Spa_17.jpg

I've certainly had a French soldier accuse me of being a pirate, as seen here.

If you're playing in "Golden Age of Piracy" (1680 - 1739), French and Spanish uniforms are very similar.
That is indeed more similar than I would've thought! :shock

I've certainly had a French soldier accuse me of being a pirate, as seen here.
Apparently we never did anything with my suggestion:
Maybe the guard dialog should include a check for the "fort relation to Pirates" function.
I don't think it currently does.

Started at 1500, they are definately spanish soldiers, cuirasses ect. Also to not start another thread(or should i?) ill post log after a battle(it was spanish heavy war galleon), whan i tried to board enemy ship near Nevis i got kicked to world map, i came back and soon after game crashed. Icon of boarding looked like shipyard icon btw

Attachments

• system.log
    4.6 KB · Views: 191
they are definately spanish soldiers, cuirasses ect.
Exactly what kind of soldiers were Spanish then? Did they stand still or walk around?
Where did you encounter them? What dialog did they have?
There are several different kinds and that information would allow us to narrow things down.

Ok, so not sure about "what kind" question - like I said they wear cuirasses, helmets, rifles i think. Some wander around the city, some guard townhall, prison one of them even sitting in tavern.
And the dialog was regular blah about the spy and then all soldiers in town turned hostile, townsfolk did not. They were not hostile until my curiosity made me speak to one of them :)

In 1500, all soldiers wear cuirasses and almost all wear the same style helmets. What colour sleeves and trousers did they have?

Soldiers in towns can't be affected by "smuggling_nation" otherwise any island with two towns of different nationalities would have wrong soldiers - Port au Prince is French in all periods except "Early Explorers", Santo Domingo is Spanish in all periods except Napoleonic, so you'd expect problems in one or other of them regardless of what is Hispaniola's "smuggling_nation".

As for icons, that "system.log" contains several lines:
Code:
Can't load texture resource\textures\INTERFACES\PERKS\64\.TGA.tx
That looks like a problem with icons. Can you upload your "compile.log"? Ideally from right after the battle and crash as that may give clues about the crash, especially if you also have "error.log" from the same time. But at the very least "compile.log" from any time will tell us which version of the game you have installed.

Ok, so not sure about "what kind" question - like I said they wear cuirasses, helmets, rifles i think. Some wander around the city, some guard townhall, prison one of them even sitting in tavern.
Sounds like regular soldiers then. Not sure how those could be from the wrong nation!
Please upload a savegame for someone to try (zip it up first).

There you go, I am affraid its not just after the battle :/
For the soldiers I'll go and check them when i play next time. I thought they just shouldn't consider me a spy if I am a pirate in pirate town ...
Just thought to myslef , am i not too bothersome with all I post here?

Attachments

• compile.log
    79.4 KB · Views: 184
  • error.log
    4.5 KB · Views: 234
Those tell me that you're playing the 7th January Beta 4.1 with the post 7th January fixes archive, the reason being "compile.log" identifies the 7th January version, and "error.log" has some messages:
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\shipyard.c; line: 2490
attribute reference function return object value
In the version of "shipyard.c" from the 7th January install, line 2490 is a comment line which can't possibly cause an error. But in the fixes version, other added code further up the file has pushed a few lines down so that line 2490 is now:
Code:
if(scrollIdx<0 || scrollIdx>=GetAttributesNum(arShipList)) return NullCharacter;
I'll let someone else figure out why that is causing trouble!

The guards in Tortuga failing to realise that they're supposed to be friendly to pirates is a known problem, but nobody ever got down to programming in a fix. The basic problem is that you're not in a pirate town, you're in a French town which is supposed to tolerate pirates, only nobody told that to those guards. :facepalm

And no, you are definitely not bothersome. We want reports like yours! Well, OK, ideally we don't want bug reports because we don't want there to be bugs, but if there are bugs then we need people to report them so we can fix them. So go ahead, keep posting. :onya

Ok, ill just keep away from those military wet blankets ^^ I intend to play a bit in next weeks (months?^^) so ill keep posting my observations in this thread. You can rename it for something like "Adventures of retarded landlubber" or "The quest for the Holy Bug" ;) Also if there is anything specific you want tested just let me know.

Back