• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Pirate governor gives me 0 land and "Art of War"

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Playing "Hoist The Colours", I was told by someone (I don't remember who it was, now) that I should join the Brotherhood at Nevis, so I did. Then I went and did some pirating. It took me a while to find that cashing in relation points for promotions doesn't happen at Nevis, nor at the newly formed pirate government on Turks Island, but at Tortuga. (What happens if you do this in any other storyline in which Tortuga is actually French La Tortue?)

The pirate boss of Tortuga seems to want to act like a normal governor, but doesn't quite pull it off. Like any governor, he assigns me land as a reward, but pirates don't get reward land, so every time I get a promotion, he announces that I've been granted 0 acres of land. :8q

And every time I get a promotion, I get a new copy of "The Art of War". Evidently he's not obeying whatever logic we put in place to prevent you from getting repeat copies. Besides, he's a pirate boss, and you're a successful pirate or you wouldn't be having this conversation, so why is he giving you a book telling you how not to be a pirate? :facepalm

Playing "Hoist The Colours", I was told by someone (I don't remember who it was, now) that I should join the Brotherhood at Nevis, so I did. Then I went and did some pirating. It took me a while to find that cashing in relation points for promotions doesn't happen at Nevis, nor at the newly formed pirate government on Turks Island, but at Tortuga. (What happens if you do this in any other storyline in which Tortuga is actually French La Tortue?)
Can you post the "piratefun" quest case from quests_common.c here?
Stuff changes when you join the Brotherhood, but I cannot remember which pirate leaders get swapped into regular governors now...

The pirate boss of Tortuga seems to want to act like a normal governor, but doesn't quite pull it off. Like any governor, he assigns me land as a reward, but pirates don't get reward land, so every time I get a promotion, he announces that I've been granted 0 acres of land.
:rofl :rofl :rofl
Isn't that what happens for Navy Officers in Free Play too? They also don't get land for the first few ranks.
I think I never bothered to change that because it isn't technically untrue, but of course it does sound stupid.
Ideally the "generic governor dialog file" should check the number and, if it is zero, not bother saying it.

And every time I get a promotion, I get a new copy of "The Art of War". Evidently he's not obeying whatever logic we put in place to prevent you from getting repeat copies.
Now I wonder why that differs between a Pirate and non-Pirate governor.
The loop DOES stop for non-Pirates, right? :shock

Besides, he's a pirate boss, and you're a successful pirate or you wouldn't be having this conversation, so why is he giving you a book telling you how not to be a pirate?
Indeed that doesn't make much sense.
Of course the governor dialogs were never written with the idea that they could ever be Pirates, so it seems you found some of the lapses of logic that still remain.
Should be easy to avoid though.

@Grey Roger: Did you to this on a New Game or an existing save?
If I recall, the quest case to check for the "relationbook" item is set at game start.
It's an existing save resulting from a new game. ;) The quest case should have been set at the start of the new game, which was started under Beta 4.1 with all my updates. Of course, I haven't been playing solid since starting that game, so I did save, stop for a while (actually for about a week, for reasons that will shortly become apparent in another thread), and then resumed.

The new game was started after I'd finished with "Ardent", and Ardent didn't end up with a pile of "Art of War" due to multiple promotions from Spain.

It's an existing save resulting from a new game. ;) The quest case should have been set at the start of the new game, which was started under Beta 4.1 with all my updates. Of course, I haven't been playing solid since starting that game, so I did save, stop for a while (actually for about a week, for reasons that will shortly become apparent in another thread), and then resumed.
That shouldn't matter; so either way, the check should indeed already be set and functional. :yes

Back