• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirate soundtrack producer offered!

Tempesta

HoO Team Member
Music and SFX
Storm Modder
Ahoy lads!

I'm a passionate fan of all pirate related and I´m a devoted producer/musician :napoleon

I focus on orchestral pieces but I also can record high quality guitars (electric and acoustic), mandolin (very piratical), mouth harp and I´m also a singer.
I have my own home studio and I can manage to produce decent mixes with a competitive final sound.

Please check this "Opening Theme" I made some time ago...
https://instaud.io/7YH

It was thought for using it on a game like this someday, so if you like this kind of tracks I could make more for you guys and just FOR FREE! This music is my passion and I´ll be glad to help you with the soundtrack :)

I´m also a native spanish speaker, so if you need any help with translations (or just some voice actings for that caribbean spanish touch) you can count with me as well :doff

Really looking forward to help you mates!
Cheers!

Ahoy there! Thanks for your kind offer.
That track certainly sounds like fun. But for some rain it makes me think of Asian movies.

Our music coordinator is @Flannery and he should drop by soon.

Edit: I just figured it out. In a way this music reminded me of The Promise by Klaus Badelt.
Which in a way does make sense because he is credited with the first Pirates of the Caribbean film as well. :cheeky

Last edited:
Hey there @Tempesta :)

That piece shows promise indeed.
What kind of software are you working on?

Glad you like it guys and it's a pleasure to meet you :)

@Pieter Boelen I'm a big fan of Badelt and Zimmer scores and I'm sure they were a great inspiration at the time I wrote that piece hehe.

@Flannery My main DAW is Cubase 5 and normally use orchestral libraries like Symphobia, EWQL, Cine Brass, Lumina, ToneHammer Percussion, EWQL Ra for folk instruments and some more I can't remember right now. All hosted on Kontakt 5.

For audio treatment I use Waves 9 plugins.

I normally like to use AKG headphones for monitoring and also have a decent MXL condenser mic for vocals recording (if needed)

I like to see that you are properly coordinated for the soundtrack development, so I would love to hear your ideas for this project or if you need some specific works to be done.

May I ask how many composers are involved here?

Cheers mates!

I like your setup mate ;)

Cubase 7.5 here and tons of EWQL, Halion5, Kontakt5 and Waves plugins as well :)

The Music and SFX group has a few people in it. But I would say we are 3 active composers - me being the most active one. Til now I have probably stood for about 80% of the sketches/material presented.

But other than providing sound fx for the current state of the build - we are not in a hurry to have the complete soundtrack done.
In fact the complete soundtrack will not be finalized until the game is done for full release ;)

**Sorry for the quick Edit - pressed the botton by mistake**

Do you have any other works to show us, just for reference?

It does not have to be related to "Piratey" music. Preferably something in the classical range or folk/medieval/celtic - but as I said, could be any other as well :)

Nice! Our setups are very similar actually ;)

That sounds like a lot going on! I think is great that you don´t have a deadline yet...
More than 3 composers is a big team to working with... I wonder if your idea for this soundtrack is to have variety of compositions by selecting separate final tracks from each composer, or if your goal is to put all this final tracks through the same sound production in order to get a more equal overall sounding.
I personally think both cases could work, but I´m just being curious about your workflow :D

Let´s go with your request! :

You can check SKULL & BONES. This is my "Pirate Metal" band and my musical priority, since we are a band with a complete line up and play at some gigs very often.
This is our first music video:

(Yes! I was not lying when I said that this theme/genre is my truly passion! haha)
You can check more tracks on the same channel if you fancy :napoleon
I´m the singer and the main composer of the band.

And going to a completely different genre, you can also check this project of mine:
https://soundcloud.com/flash-back2029

This is a Synthwave/Cyberpunk project that I have with a graphic designer who is my partner on this.
I would summarize it like Retro electronic music very inspired by soundtracks from the 80´s.

As you can see, music is my life! :)

I am full of ideas for a soundtrack like this, so I would be glad to share with you more tracks and sketches if you want.

Nice mate, and congrats on your first video :)
I have done a few videos myself.
I am a vocalist also...hehehe.

Although I am personally in a more of a grunge and classic Rock genre - two of my band comrades are also the guitarist (and lead songwriter/composer) and keyboardist from the Progressive Rock/Metal band "Circus Maximus" - which might be more up your alley ;)
But my main work the last 15 years have been for the Commercial Business and Film/Games industry. For the games industry it has only been for the last three years - but it is here my passion truly lies these days, as I am definitely a dedicated gamer, and part of a few Game Developments.

When it comes to organizing, you are fairly right in your assumption:
- For now we let our composers and contributors write what they are inspired by, and then we place it in the appropriate atmospheric section on our production list.
The list consists of what we need music for in the game, such as menu themes, calm seas themes, battle ready themes, town music, tavern music and so on, and so on.
We do have a wish to also differentiate the music some when it comes to culture and nationality - so that if you enter a Spanish Town, you hear music that is inspired by typical Spanish music - maybe even some original work from the era.
We do not know if we will be able to do this fully out yet, cause we would not settle for just some of them, but need to manage to do so for all nations represented in the game - and this again depends on what we can manage out of volunteers.
As long as it is instrumental - we would have no problem. But with lyrics it would mean we would have to recruit people willing to help who represent all the spoken languages of the nationalities.

The motto of the community is that Everyone can partake - but this of course does not mean that all who want to can be full out composers, just as not all can be modelers. Some basic requirements and skills must be there as a foundation. But anyone can try out, and get guidance. What we have promised is that the everyone will be heard and measured equally.
And that everyone will get honest feedback on how they can improve and maybe even evolve their ideas.
The ones who provide full pieces which meet a minimum standard of build, quality sound and samples, mixing and possibly mastering - will be represented in full. The ones who come up with bits and pieces and/or ideas which are what I would call unfinished - will be looked at to see if we can fit some of them together, and with help from some of our more able composers - record them into one or several whole pieces (all depending on how many are chosen)

When the time for a deadline draws nearer - we will review what we have, and what we lack - and then focus on what is missing.

I will soon set up a new thread where all contributors of the Music and SFX team will be invited. Here we will also post all the works that are in progress or finished - so we can all keep track on the joined effort, and what we need and what people are currently working on.

I also liked your overall sound picture on the Synthwave/Cyberpunk stuff :) I would be more than happy to welcome you aboard - should you still want to :)

Last edited:
Thanks for checking my music and for your feedback mate! :)

That´s a very interesting background you have there and I think you are in the right way. As for me, I always wanted to score for games of all kind of genres too and my long term goal is to make a living out of it, as well as producing bands.
So I think this could be a very good way to start with, gaining teamwork experience and writing the music I love for a very good reason (the game looks awesome so far!)

Thanks for the clear description about how you organize the tasks. I really like the whole concept idea of creating a theme for each culture and I agree that it will implicate so much tough work, but not impossible at all with proper task assignment.
I realized that you want for this game to be very complex and loyal with the locations and cultures of that era, so I believe the music must fulfill that task too.

With that said... Of course! I´ll be honored to join the crew and offer you my skills.
I can´t wait to hear the work you already did and start producing themes for this game:napoleon

Indeed, @Pieter Boelen - indeed :)

Welcome to the team @Tempesta
I will get you sorted and updated in a day or two. I will tag you, so you will know when it's done.

If you want to check some of the music I have sketched up so far, you can visit my personal thread "Flannery's Music"

I work with a similar setup that we are implementing for the team.

Most of it are just sketches - and the finished work is mostly rough mixes and not mastered.

In December I upgraded my equipment especially for further HoO development and another game that I am the composer for (Life is Feudal) - and most of the music that was sketched up/recorded prior to that will be revised. Which is pretty much everything :p

Been busy with the deadline for Life is Feudal after that ;-)

Last edited:
Thank you both for the warm welcome lads! You won´t be disappointed ;)

@Flannery Life is Feudal looks so promising. I thought that they had already released it.. Please let me know when I can hear your music on it.

Ok I´m definitely going to listen the HOO music you have so far mates! xD
Thanks again for all this!:napoleon

Life is Feudal is in Early Access indeed on Steam. And there is about 25 minutes of Music in it at the present state. All my doing.

But I have just finished 51 more minutes which will be the official soundtrack - along with a remaster of some of of the early work which is in the game atm.

The new music will probably be put in the game with one of the next patches/updates ;-)

But the Soundtrack will be released for sale sometime this summer ;-)

And yeah I too have very high hopes for that game. So far Bobik and the team at Bitbox have held to every promise they have uttered with the game - and it is still only half finished :)

And not to forget... The release of the full MMO sometime late 2015 - early 2016. That's when the fun really starts :p

Again welcome aboard!

Sounds awesome! Really looking forward to immerse myself on it :bonaparte

Just one more question before start: where do you recommend to post my upcoming themes/sketches? Should I open a new thread for my tracks only?

Just one more question before start: where do you recommend to post my upcoming themes/sketches? Should I open a new thread for my tracks only?
You can certainly do that. Other people sometimes post the link in the PM conversation I added you too.
And once in a while, I put them all together in one album-style download.

It's always easier to track each and every composers progression by following a personal thread.

And then have one thread that I update with the whole shabang from all of us ;-)

And @Pieter Boelen 's makeshift album of course :)

Back