• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates and Traders

Bartolomeu o Portugues

Buccaneer
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Today, I would like to present an Android game I really love. The name is Pirates and Traders. There are two versions of this game, a free version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.micabyte.android.pirates&hl=pt_PT

And a payed version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.micabyte.android.pirates.gold&hl=pt_PT

Compared to the free game, "Pirates and Traders: Gold!" is ad-free, adds two new starting backgrounds (buccaneer and escaped slave) and adds 5 additional starting ships (pinnace, coastal barque, chasse-maree, fluyt and caravel).

In this game, you start off by choosing many parameters such as your name, your gender and nationality (British, Dutch, French, Spanish, Danish or Portuguese), some skill points, the type of ship you want, your background (Adventurer, Sailor), the difficulty setting and so on.
Afterwards, you can spend your time as a merchant, trading cargo between islands to sell goods that are in demand.

Screenshot1.jpg Screenshot3.jpg Screenshot4.jpg Screenshot22.jpg

When sailing, be careful of storms or even scurvy! Thanks to random encounters on the coasts, you can trade with buccaneers or natives and make some good profits.
You can wage war against enemy nations and choose the life of a privateer or pirate. In this case, you can attack their towns if your crew is strong enough. For this part, choose the purpose of your raid: plunder the town or just destroy the fort? And which tactics will you choose: Charge, surprise attack or outflank?
Otherwise, in Pirates and Traders, you can also double-cross people you encounter, go treasure hunting and engage in any number of other activities.

Note that regularly you'll be informed about the most important events occurring in the Caribbean. Yes, you are in a living, dynamic world!

Screenshot15.jpg Screenshot21.jpg Screenshot24.jpg Screenshot18.jpg

At sea, you will come across other ships. You can engage them if you want to and they can do the same with you! No 3D graphics for naval battles, but this part is still really interesting. Many parameters will be taken into account; not only the type of enemy ship you attack. For instance, have you got some skilled officers in your crew that can tip the scales in your favour? Do you want to fire at the enemy ship at distance or move close and board the ship to fight her captain?
Be careful, because if you lose the fight, you'll be arrested and face a trial for piracy. Your abilities to bargain, charm and the gold in your purse can save your life. If not, you will be hanged.
But, if you are successful, you can seize the ship, cannons, cargo and hire the enemy crew. With some luck, even an enemy officer will accept to work for you.

In ports, you can meet with the governor and buy a letter of marque, buy trade goods and items from merchants, buy and repair ships or just improve your current one by adding new types of cannons, strengthening the hull and many other things.
In the tavern, you can recruit sailors, share the plunder with your crew or listen for news or job offers.
Finally, go to the bank if you want to put away money for retirement.

In this review, I have only described part of the features. People who like Sid Meier's Pirates or Akella's games won't be disappointed.

So, try it if you don't know Pirates and Traders.

BTW: The developer is working on the second version of this game. A beta should be available soon.

Check his Facebook and website pages for more information.

https://www.facebook.com/MicaBytes

http://www.micabyte.com/
logo.png

Attachments

• Screenshot17.jpg
    Screenshot17.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 99
That looks surprisingly feature-rich, for a mobile game. Indeed, the Pirates! influence is easy to see, and that's a good thing.
Most impressive from a one-man team, no less! I suppose that means the game is unlikely to come to iOS or Windows, though... :facepalm

Very nice review Bartolomeu! I especially like the cards and the use of some of Howard Pyle's art work. Your friend has done an excellent job! Tweeted:onya

Last edited:
Thanks Armada and Thagarr for your comments.

To Armada:

At least, try to play it through a free android emulator for PC.

To Thagarr:

I also like the Howard Pyle's art work :yes

Back