• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own (PO:TEHO) to be released in English

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
223330_screenshots_2012-12-07_00001.jpg

So I thought I would wait to release this story until I was fairly certain it was true. It appears that POTEHO is being released in English. Yeay!

On Feb 18th one of the members of Blackmark Studio's DEV staff answered questions for us.

According to Joruba, “The game will be released in mid-spring, we likely won't be able to release it in March so you can count on April for sure. I will provide you with more details later.”

Joruba added that this is not simply a Russian mod like SOFS was to AOP:CT. This is a brand new Akella game in the series, but not being developed by all of the same players, hence the name change. He goes on to say: “POTEHO has dozens of quests, a solid plot, new ships, weapons, items, new trading, fencing, artillery and crafting systems. Every single element of the game was rebalanced or redone. There is a huge difference between POTEHO and COAS, you're gonna like it
cool.png
The engine was also improved. It's about 100-150+ hours of gameplay.”

I knew this had to be the case. If you simply look at the YouTube vids of the game, there is tons of new content. Dozens of new ships, characters, locations and items. It looks REALLY GOOD!

I was concerned that the program files wouldn't be released as part of the game build because the version I downloaded from STEAM only offered the RESOURCE files. In order to be able to mod the game in the future, it is essential that it have an open Program folder. Some Russian modders have complained about this in the past as well. Concerned I said:

“It is my opinion that Akella's other games such as COAS, - would never have enjoyed their continuing popularity and would never have been sold in the large quantities that they have (in the west) if it weren't for all the mods that this (Pirates Ahoy!) community has built into them.

Joruba answered: “I agree with you completely. The thing is that all rights belong to the publisher (Akella) and only they will make a final decision. We will do what we can but I am sure that there is nothing for you to worry about. I am 90% confident that English speakers will get a fine version of the game with unlocked PROGRAM folder. Just as usual. Feel free to use the game's resources.”​
I'm glad he said this as the files are open source anyway in the STEAM release, but I have added a lot of their visual model and texture resource content to my soon to be released GOF: Eras mod.​
Pieter Boelen added: “...we (Pirates Ahoy!) will do what we can to promote your work through all means that we have available for sure!​
Joruba ended the dialogue with appreciation: “Your help will be most appreciated guys. It's my job to make English speakers familiar to POTEHO and I am really glad to get such a warm welcome here. Feel free to ask me any questions and expect more info in the nearest future.”​
So if you want to find out more or see the current status or ask questions, go to the topic thread here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/pirates-odyssey-to-each-his-own.19934/
We look forward to seeing this great new game very soon!​
MK​

Great news! Finally an english version will come out!:)

The video has many dislikes... Why is that? I guess it is going to be much better than CoAS, no?

I guess it is going to be much better than CoAS, no?
That I would really want to know. It'd be nice if each new game in the series could be "Same, only better please". But as far as I can tell from previous games, they add some good things and subtract some good things.
Which is quite unfortunate, really, since then we lose good things as well when moving ahead. :facepalm

uhm i may have also post this to the wrong section.so do we have any info about the release in english? i am really looking forward to play this game so is there any link to downloaded?

Great news! Finally an english version will come out!:)

The video has many dislikes... Why is that? I guess it is going to be much better than CoAS, no?

That video has many low rez textures showing, and in this age of hirez everything that could turn some people away. DX8 textures just do not look as good as DX11.

Very true Hylie, - although they have really done a good job with them. They are so much better than POTC or AOP's textures that they don't look like they are from the same planet.

Its like I said before.....they are going for a certain Howard Pyle cartoon look.

I think its charming and it still looks better than all the app games, flash games, sidescrollers and anime games that are so popular these days even though they are higher res.

MK

That video has many low rez textures showing, and in this age of hirez everything that could turn some people away. DX8 textures just do not look as good as DX11.

True, that could very possibly be the reason. It's quite dissapointing that so many people judged the game having as more important priority the fact that the graphics are quite bad, comparing to latest games, and not the general concept of the game.:(

That I would really want to know. It'd be nice if each new game in the series could be "Same, only better please". But as far as I can tell from previous games, they add some good things and subtract some good things.
Which is quite unfortunate, really, since then we lose good things as well when moving ahead. :facepalm

Totally agree with this.

Back