• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfsrain

Sailor Apprentice
Looks like Russia has a new entry in its Corsairs series.

Original name:Корсары: Каждому своё!
English name: Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own

Russian release date: 7 december 2012 (at least if i understand correctly what it's wrritten):

http://www.1csc.ru/games/pc/21639-korsary-kazhdomu-svoe

Trailer:

Game forums:

http://www.blackmark.bz/forums/index.php?

Developed by: Blackmark Studio
Published by: Akella

If someone with some knowledge of the russian language can translate more data...

Looks like you're correct. I wondered when they would finally release.

I did manage to find some evidence that they developed this one on Steam. Unfortunately I can't find anything in the Store and it says its not available in my region in the DEV search. I hope our Russian friends haven't forgotten about their US fans. http://marlamin.com/cdr/single.php?type=sub&id=18448

I found another video of the game I hadn't seen before. It shows a fairly cool looking Dutch ship at the opening intro.
I sure hope we will be able to buy this game in the USA. :bounce MK

Well here's an update.....

I downloaded the game from Steam. It is currently available at the Steam store now for $19.99.

I was going to make a major announcement of this on the main page, but will hold off for the present for two reasons.

1) Unfortunately it's only available in Russian. I went into the INI file and attempted to change the text file language default to English from Russian, but unfortunately there are no English files to default to which makes the game unplayable. I questioned the DEVs about an English version and got an answer back very quickly - that they MAY release an English version in the future. For now though - this game is Russian only.

2) The downloadable "local" content of the game has everything you would expect to get - from the Resource, DLL, config, and Engine files, however, none of the Program files are there. This means that modding this game is going to be very limited.

If the program files were there, I could simply take all the supporting English text from COAS and put it in "To Each his Own". I could also do a quick google translate of all the dialogue files and throw them back into the game in Google translated Russian/English. It wouldn't be perfect, but it at least would make the game playable for English speaking players. As it stands right now, the game is really not playable unless you understand Russian. I've spent about 20 minutes playing, and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

Lets hope that the DEVs do make an English version.

As for my $19.99 spent, it was not money badly spent, because the RESOURCE content is all there. I had a good look at all their textures and models. There are about 10 new ships that we don't have in NH or GOF. Several of these are some pretty nice models. That just means more new ships and weapons in GOF Eras.

MK

I don't know why the did not release in English the same time as Russian, they would make more money

So basically it is a Russian mod to COAS?

No I wouldn't call it a mod for COAS. The reason I say that is that there are different locations in this one. Isla Mona is back, so its more like AOP1.

Also the interface is different and there are lots of new items. You can eat food and plants to heal your RPC.

@ Jack: I know there are other locations - cool new dungeons and the like, but because I don't know Russian I can't even figure out how to get through the first quest requirement - so I can't even leave the town I'm in and most of the buildings are closed to me.

I did hit paydirt on the new weapons and ships though. I spent most of the day on the way home so was busy porting all day on my laptop. I've got most of their weapons and ships in GOF eras now.

Here's a sampling of the ships. Of course wait till I photoshop a couple of them to my own historical preferences. The first is a small Dutch two decker from about 1640-50 - looks like they used Prinz Willem as a guide. Wait till you see what I do to her.

The next is clearly patterned on an English 4th rate or French Ordere Seconde. A couple of these textures are REALLY nice - not what we are used to with the Russian skins (much higher quality) - just look at the deck. I plan to leave a couple of these alone, but am definitely ginning up an accurate 4rth rate skin.

The one after her is a really nice 6th rate. I couldn't believe my eyes. She is really pretty. Last a really cool Nao/Nau/Carrack/Kraak whichever you prefer to classify her as. No Sailorpoints file for her though. I will show more later.

:facepalm The real tragedy is that I'm dying to play the game. It looks so good. The music is nice too. They did a really nice job and there are tons of new character skins walking about. From the screens its also apparent that they have new lower deck fight screens and that's part of the game play.

However because of the language barrier, I will just have to wait and see if they do up an English version. Maybe if a bunch of folks bothered them we could get them to do it???? :shrug Here's the screens...

start_121209_0515262.JPG
start_121209_0517082.JPG
start_121209_1639342.JPG
start_121209_1643422.JPG
start_121209_1652043.JPG
start_121209_1655327.JPG
start_121209_2252176.JPG
start_121209_2332117.JPGstart_121210_0153232.JPG

So basically it is a Russian mod to COAS?

I would imagine that this one also included some source code changes as well, which could be part of the reason MK is having a more difficult time tracking some things down.

I do agree it does look quite good though, the interface changes look quite good, and the fighting below decks looks fantastic! I also noticed in the screen shots that the fog appears to be reduced tremendously from what it was in CoAS, that suggests some engine improvements to me. I am hoping for an English release as well, but it will probably be a while.

You're right, though. It does look far better.)

If you take a close look at some of the original textures, this wood isn't even from the same planet. Its obvious they are taking advantage of the higher resolution and better memory that we enjoy now.

One of their artists is really talented, and its obvious he's going for a certain look. I can appreciate that.

I joined their group on Steam last night and even volunteered to assist with an English translation. After all I am retired. My son just finished a Bachelor's degree in Russian and he's coming home for the next six months to write a thesis and pursue on line language studies. So I told them he could assist as well. Hopefully our offer will get the ball rolling. Because my own game DEV plans are on hold now for another six months or more (revamping my business plan and gaining more backers), I will have lots of time for this. I really would love to play an English version of this game.

I put some more items in GOF eras last night. Here's another ship. Its called the Valciria (Valkyrie). Its a brig based on the old Heavy Brig (Royal Brig) Brig_n11 model. This one is really all 17th century! The decoration is great and I love the stern. If you walk into a door on the transom you end up on the stern-walk - very cool. She had a problem with her spanker, so I just did away with it and made her a snow. Here's some screens. MK

start_121210_1300173.JPG
start_121210_1300332.JPGstart_121210_1300489.JPG
start_121210_1307438.JPG

I'm curious- did the definition of snow change over the years? Napoleonic and later snows were characterized by main trys'l masts and slightly smaller spankers than brigs.

Have you run in to any free-foot trys'ls? I'm wondering if they've been improved at all. I remember that in CoAS an extra sail locator can be added to some fore-and-aft sails to make them fill according to the direction of the wind. (These occur on the Enterprise brig if I remember correctly.)

So before 1700 most two masted ships that looked like brigs were called brigantines, pinks or snows. From the many surviving contemporary illustrations/harbor scenes, we know that they were plentiful. There is really no technical or physical distinctions that I've been able to find between them. I have found a couple of rare images of the main mast flying a lateen with a topsail above. However there is no yard below the topsail, so its a free or flying topsail...weird I know. There were also a bunch of ships that had two masts that only mounted one or two square sails on each mast. These were working and courier ships known as urcas in the south and pataches in the north. There was also of course the early Dutch/Flemish fishing and whaling ships called Busses or Herring bus that also utilized a simple two mast (single square sail on each) rig.

Ninety-nine percent of the images I've found of ships with two masts from that time are simply square rigged with no lateen or spanker or booms. I would love an education on these ships if anyone knows anything more about them.

I have actually been putting together a set of images for them for my Flickr photostream, that will be a separate set entitled "17th century snows, pinks, brigantines, urcas, pataches, and busses". Some of the same images will be shared in another set labelled "Restoration era to 1715 - 4th, through 6th rates and unrated ships" I am about to hang on my photostream (tonight probably).

So if the ship in the pic were truly a snow, pink or brigantine from the late 17th century there would be no boom or t'gallants. I just don't know how to take that stuff off the model yet.....soon though. I'm learning fast.

I just now finished hanging my set on Carracks and Naus. I would be much more excited about finishing the early era in GOF if we could get some of these modeled. Its a great set! http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632238978960/

MK

So some screen shots for today. Another port in from Pirates Odessey. I can't wait to play this game when they release the English version, but have to content myself with at least playing with the ships from the game right now.

This ship is called the Quest Lugger, which I'm guessing means there is a quest to get her in To Each his Own.

For GOF I renamed her Chasse Maree which is just another name for a large French Lugger. So her name in the interface appears as Armed French Lugger.

She's pretty and has tons of sail. She is larger than the other luggers we have and has more decoration. MK

start_121214_1301124.JPG
start_121214_1306080.JPG
start_121214_1302188.JPG
start_121214_1253069.JPG
View attachment 9709
start_121214_1252283.JPG
View attachment 9711
start_121214_1340200.JPG

Oh yeah...I almost forgot I also ported in this nice little sloop last night as well. I call her Advance Sloop. She's got good sized guns for her size. I really like her rounded stern. Good variety added. MK

start_121215_0912453.JPG
start_121215_0913229.JPG
start_121215_0914425.JPG
start_121215_0914534.JPG
start_121215_0916079.JPG

Nice Ships, I am really excited what other lovely resource contend will occure the our hungry eyes, that we may look at but not touch :nerbz, I guess we other common and mortal creatures will have to wait untill that glorious day, when an english version will be available, when ever that may be or IF... :rumgone

@Hylie, Yeah I agree, but she sure is pretty.

@Takeda, Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I was so wanting the below deck fighting capability in this game and that the German Edition folks were able to figure out, but alas no one has ever helped me and I have never been satiated.

These ships and the new weapons will at least be in my new GOF Eras release. Available for Beta testers last week in December.

The DEVs for To Each His Own say that an English version IS coming in 2013. It will hopefully be available first quarter 2013.

@ Captain Sparrow: You can get all updates for Pirates Odyssey: To Each his Own on STEAM. If you don't have Steam, sign up and download it. Then find the community of the same name as the game.

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back