• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never could find an exact number mate. I think the voting is more to see how popular the title is to give them an idea if a game is worth going after. :shrug

It sure wouldn't hurt to advertise the vote, it has been a while since it has been advertised on our front page. I was just debating whether I should write up an article about it or not. I reckon it would be a good idea, it would sure be great to actually have those games available again.

The "marketing strategy", if you can call it that, they used for all those games was absolutely pathetic. I am convinced they wanted those games to fail to keep Akella out of the western market, it is the only semi-logical reason I can possibly think of to explain the pathetic marketing they received.

Last edited:
The Black Mark Studio should better give up on Akella, unlock Files and Folders of POTEHO and give it´s source code to the team of Pirates Ahoy, so that they can do the translation, modding and bugfixing for us. That would be the real deal in my eyes and much better than waiting forever.:onya

Last edited:
I wouldn't believe too.

It was a terrible year, but we are going to give our best shot. We have already told Akella about GOG and it's pro's. If you want, we can deliver them your thoughts.
Steam is way more popular and organised I think.
And I think (only think, don't blame me) that the official addon for Age of Pirates 1 should also be in English. Good luck.

Last edited:
The Black Mark Studio should better give up on Akella, unlock Files and Folders of POTHEO and give it´s source code to the team of Pirates Ahoy
Yeah, that would be great if somehow we managed to find a way to pay huge fines for "giving up":dance Having a publisher isn't pretty.

Steam is way more popular and organised I think.

It is. But GOG is a better place for games with 2005 graphics. Steam + GOG would be ideal.

The Black Mark Studio should better give up on Akella, unlock Files and Folders of POTHEO and give it´s source code to the team of Pirates Ahoy, so that they can do the translation, modding and bugfixing for us. That would be the real deal in my eyes and much better than waiting forever.:onya
For the record, I doubt there would be enough people here with knowledge of Russian and English to translate an entire game so quickly.

I suggest we stop complaining about the delays and just wait for any announcements to come.

I suggest we stop complaining about the delays and just wait for any announcements to come.
Now THERE's an idea. I'm sure the actual game developers don't like the situation either.
We can't blame them for the publishers messing around. Cut them some slack already!

Now THERE's an idea. I'm sure the actual game developers don't like the situation either.
We can't blame them for the publishers messing around. Cut them some slack already!

The game is translated btw. We are testing it now.

To be completely honest, I must admit that we are not blameless. Sure, Akella set us up, but we've made few critical mistakes ourselves.

For the record, I doubt there would be enough people here with knowledge of Russian and English to translate an entire game so quickly.

Я не согласен, так как большую часть оригинального кода сценария уже завершен пиратских моддеров в 2013 году.

No complaints just objective observations, things are what they are, we offered to assist and we were turned down.
I would not bet personal income on the translations being fully completed as stated.
If all translations are completed including dialogues, scripts, and UI, control testing is not a year long process.
I know this because I worked on translating mods for several Ukraine games notably from the "Stalker" series which is similar in script code to POTEHO.

That is an excuse.

If you are also considering voice acting I "might" believe that, because if BlackMark did not want to rehash voices from previous games and make the conversations less limited, this does take significant time to record and integrate.
Some of this was beefed up in the Russian version, but most was classic "Sea Dogs".

The biggest problem remained completing a publishing contract, which have so far have utterly FAILED, regardless of its state of development or if it was completed.
In more simplistic terms, "No publishing contract, no gamey".

Yeah, that would be great if somehow we managed to find a way to pay huge fines for "giving up":dance Having a publisher isn't pretty.

It is. But GOG is a better place for games with 2005 graphics. Steam + GOG would be ideal.

First of all, welcome back Joruba, will be looking forward to your "update" and explanation (not that you owe us anything tbh, but would be a decent thing to do) on the status of the game, unless you disappear again. I'm rly sad that you got screwed over by Akella, shitty way of em to do buisness :( but not surprising. You will have to forgive my scepticism in the next few lines of text, you guys kinda wasted trusting chips last year.

Now Steam is perfectly acceptable application even for games with graphics from 2005, hell i have a game from 1995 on steam (with dropbox). Graphics is absolutly irrelevant to them.

You said last year translation is done, now you say you testing it, in march this year one of your representatives (atleast we think he is) said you still working on it, but in january he said translation is done you are testing it.....soooo unprofessional...you remind me of CCP...
tymofei
iconGames.png
22 Mar @ 3:28am
We are working on the translation.

Sooo one of you lied?!

Or lets continue with a few more:

utconoss [developer] 28 Apr, 2013 @ 11:54am
English version will be released in the summer.

tymofei
iconGames.png
9 Jan @ 6:07pm
I know for sure that translation is completed already, and at the moment its correction and verification is being done.
I belive that English version of POTEHO will be available in spring this year, in March as a latest...

So honest answer pls (if possible), do Akella even plan to release a game? When? Is English version a vapourware (if it can be called like this o_O)

Sorry for being kinda rough...but this is becoming like a yearly joke...and i rly do wish you guys lots of success in the game development buisness.

I do owe you explantions. And I will provide you with them soon. Last year was something grotesque. I wish you could see our mail.

Akella is eager to release the game. They have spent too much on it afterall.

I personally like steam quite a bit, and 4 u pirates ahoy lads and ladies modding is easily integrated into the game via steam. To my knowledge it is already on steam Russian style. And I haven't been to GOG in years if that is even what it was called back then, or something like that i don't remember.

ALL I ASK is when it is released, may it be stable!

Welcome back Joruba, hope your finding yourself at home

No, the way things have gone with PO:TEHO is not ideal. But complaining about it is not going to help things in any way, shape or form.
Let us remain supportive on this forum, like we have always aimed for.

And just to be absolutely clear here: This ends right here, right now.
Let us just look forward to what @Joruba can share with us. :doff

@Armada
I didn´t say it should be quickly but by the time i think that the Modders of Pirates Ahoy could be faster than Akella and that TheBlackKnight could be a good leader of the translation process. That´s all.

@Pieter Boelen:
I will be waiting "patiently" as I have done for many things in my life.
You know my perspective on this forum.

@piratesjunkie and all interested members:
Don't confuse BlackMark Studios with Akella, they are interlinked and have employee ties, but they are not the same company, nor have the same goals.
"The tail does not wag the dog" (Akella Wolf that is).
The situation was complicated, and I am curious to see what explanation is provided from what I already know.
I am not going to cry "foul!" if it does not match up, because at this point, it makes no difference.
My attitude is "fix the problem", or give the product to someone who can.
Unfortunately, in the gaming industry that is not generally how it works.
If a product becomes an economic unfeasibility, sometimes it better to just shelve it and cut losses.
That is why modders have such an important role in game development.
They fill the void with their own time, skills, and knowledge.

Alright, lads. I have received the last piece of text to edit and to put into the game. It will take two weeks. Once it's done, I'll do the proper post and Q&A. We intend to release POTEHO on June 15th-20th and will do our best to revive the franchise.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Alright, lads. I have received the last piece of text to edit and to put into the game. It will take two weeks. Once it's done, I'll do the proper post and Q&A. We intend to release POTEHO on June 15th-20th and will do our best to revive the franchise.

Cheers.
Great! And what do you mean by reviving the franchise? Are you planning any other games of the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back