• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea Offering Free Access

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Flying Lab Software is offering members of the United States military the chance to play its critically acclaimed massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Pirates of the Burning Seaâ„¢ (burningsea.com) for six months at no cost, as well as some exclusive in-game items. This special promotion for members of all branches of the military waives the usual $19.99 purchase cost, and grants six months of play time without the usual $14.99 monthly fee.

“The idea to do what we’re calling the Care Package initially came about as a result of some posts in our Pirates of the Burning Sea community forums,” said Russell Williams, CEO of Flying Lab Software. “One of our players posted about serving in Afghanistan, and it got us thinking about the challenges of trying to play an MMO while in an unpredictable situation like active service. We feel a special gratitude towards the members of the armed forces who take the time to get involved and play our game, in the face of the very difficult job they have to do to keep us all safe.”

Military personnel must sign up at the offer web page http://burningsea.com/military <http://burningsea.com/military by November 30, 2009 to be eligible. Existing Pirates of the Burning Sea players who are on active service in the US military may also apply for 6 months of free subscription using the same website

You can read the full GDN story here :
http://www.gamersdailynews.com/stor...-Pirates-of-the-Burning-Sea-for-Military.html

This was nice of them but ggod business too. There are thousands of dedicated young gamers in the ranks that will continue to play when their enlistments are up. Its interesting that a lot of young soldiers will invest a fortune in their computers and will take their own laptops on deployments. The highest end computers I've seen are the ones owned by servicemen.

The fees are always what kept me away from POTBS. My connection is also not what it should be for an MMO. I also thought the colored flag looking sails just looked plain wrong. :nk

V/R AS

The fees are always what kept me away from POTBS.

Yup, me too modernknight1! When I first heard about this game a few years ago, I was excited about the concept, but the monthly fee definitely killed my interest. in my opinion they should have pursued a concept more like the original Neverwinter Nights multiplayer model, which had both free and pay severs, I think that would have made it a much more successful game.

But why only the American troops... There are troops all around the world who are deployed (Australians are deployed to the same places as the Americans + others).

If they wanted a truely great selling point to do with military they should have offered it worldwide and most would continue playing after as well

The whole little tax, free medical and free dental has a very big impact on why their rigs are so good... more money = better computer xD:

Totally agree with ya Captain Maggee! ;) Bet if someone complained, others might just get it too - no doubt in my mind that they deserve the benefit just as much.

Or it could be that Flying Lab Software is jealous. You Aussies are doing really well in software marketing these days - especially to the military. Do you know that you have a monopoly on the virtual gaming software we use to train American soldiers.....Virtual Battle Space II (VBS2) is the Army's primary gaming software and developed and marketed by the Aussies and Czechs. :onya

V/R AS

My brother is involved in it ;)

I was given the "we want you... but we dont think you have enough life experience" card last year when I applied for the Aussie Air Force :(
Even though I have lived away from home since I was 13 (Im 19 now) and the only person who got in from my state was 23 and had 5 years in the cadets :modding

I was given the "we want you... but we dont think you have enough life experience" card last year when I applied for the Aussie Air Force :(
So spend a couple years gaining "life experience"

Join the Peace Corps

Or an underground militant group

the Australian Greens

and aim at becomming the next PM

That's really interesting, in the US all you gotta have is a High School Diploma, no criminal record, proof that you breathe normally and a pulse, and they will take you. :yes

You could always join the US Air Force mate. They wont even care that you're an Aussie. We have several schools in the US dedicated just to teaching new recruits English. :facepalm

V/R AS

Well the job I was going for was abit more than just a recruit (within 18 months I would have been a sergeant AND earning $100,000 a year)
A normal recruit it takes like 8-12 years to become a sergeant xD:

They said that I would get into most branches of the Air Force just not the specific job.

Got a free trip to Adelaide to face a board of Air Force people though ;)

Back