• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) doesn't run

Franz Schultz

Landlubber
I installed my original copy of Akella's 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean on my PC in C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean (not in \Program files (x86) ).
After clicking on "New game" in the main menu panel and viewing the loading screen engine.exe crashes. I don't get to see the tutorial deck or anything. I have tried changing the compatibility modes without any results. Installing the mods doesn't solve anything.
The last time I played PotC or any of the mods I was using a Windows 7 32-bit PC. This time I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit laptop. Does this have anything to do?
None of the similar issues in the forum have any solutions to my problem.
These are some of my computer's specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: K55VD
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/24/12 14:42:06 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6030MB RAM
Page File: 2673MB used, 9383MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DXDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_14571043&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Id: CMO15A7
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.989Hz)
Output Type: Internal

Any ideas? :(

Cheers,

Windows-7 64 shall not be the problem, it runs fine here.

I think there was an Intel-Graphics problem with PotC. There shall be something about that in this forum, too. Perhaps that's it?

Ok, thanks for your replies! I managed to download Swiftshader from a different site and now new games actually start. The problem is that the game crashes when going from one location to another (e.g from tutorial deck to Oxbay port), and besides, the graphics quality is terrible and the framerate is very low. The sound turns on and off and the characters movement is not fluent.
There's gotta be a solution to this issue. Any help?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, and haven't had time to set up my Profile yet. Can someone tell me if I'll be able to run POTC 2003 PC game on my rig with these specs.

· Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz 6MB Quad Core
· Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G LGA 1150 Intel B85 microATX
· Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel
· Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 660 3GB DDR5
· Power Supply: Thermaltake 500W
· Case: Zalman Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Case
· Optical Drive: 24X DVD-RW Dual Layer
· Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
· Hard Drive: Seagate/WD 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA3 6.0GB/s
I love this game, and had it for Xbox - but the console would always corrupt the saved games. I want to purchase for PC, but I don't really know a lot about computers or compatibility issues. I appreciate any time and effort given to respond. Thank you.

Last edited:
:ahoy

Indeed POTC will run just fine on your computer. If you can get the game, then we can walk you through the install process.

Thank you Ansel, and thank you Hylie. I appreciate your time and response in this matter. I am a little confused as to why I would have to be walked through the installation process.

Is there something I should be aware of - such as bugs?
Will I have to mod it to run on my rig?

Being a Rome Total War & Total War Rome 2 fanatic - I don't have a problem with mods. BUT I DO NOT WANT ANY OF THE JACK SPARROW FILM MUSIC! I am a Hans Zimmer fan, but that music belongs in the films.

I really love the original music that came with the game. I remember listening to the Sailing theme 1 and watching a ship sail out of port while moving the camera around. I thought that was so awesome. I have really missed this game. I never had it long enough to enjoy all it had to offer. It was one of my favorite games, but for the corrupt save problem - I could never make any progress. I never knew what the problem was - the Xbox console or the game. It was my only Xbox game. I am a "full blown PlayStation Man."

As far as I know - the PC version has two discs, and I do remember that the Xbox version I had contained only one. I will probably purchase the game on 12/1/14, but I won't receive it until about a week later. Amazon is pretty good about getting things out quickly. Please let me know if there is something else I need to know - and thank you both once again.

Last edited:
Being a Rome Total War & Total War Rome 2 fanatic - I don't have a problem with mods. BUT I DO NOT WANT ANY OF THE JACK SPARROW FILM MUSIC! I am a Hans Zimmer fan, but that music belongs in the films.

kinda the same here , though maybe its just nostalgia for the original soundtrack.

The only thing to remember when installing is that windoze security will mess it up if it is installed in program files. When it asks where to install it says something about Bethesda bla bla bla. I choose C: POTC and install it to that and have zero problems.

After you install it you can set your screen resolution in "engine.ini". You can set the controls in POTC-->controls-->defaultcontrols.h. These open in Notepad.

The stock game is nice but a little buggy. The mods fix most of the bugs and have added a lot of content. The stock music is still there and that sailing music is still one of my favorites.

Hello Red Back Dude - yes, I felt the original music just fit the Nathaniel Hawk character, and the game so well. The Hans Zimmer music works for me in the films.

Hello Hylie Pistof - I want to be sure I understand you. I create a folder POTC. Where can I place this folder? Computer? Documents? Videos? Music? Anywhere? I then install to that folder.

Thank you for the info and the links. I really like the Nathaniel Hawk character, so I hope the mods didn't replace him. I'll read all the content of the links you've attached. I'm running a few mods for Rome 1 : SPQR 8.0, Darthmod, and 58 BC Caesar Imperator. I remember I had to create a folder for each mod, then copy & paste the vanilla game in each one, and then overwrite certain files for each one. It was a long time ago, and I'm probably pretty rusty. I will be in touch when I get the game. In the meantime - I'll read about the mods. Thank you so much for your time.

I do create a folder called POTC and place it directly in my C: drive. POTC is self contained and you can then copy and/or move it anywhere.

Thank you Hylie Pistof. you have really made me happy. I really didn't know if I would ever be able to play this game again. I heard a lot about the bugs, and so on. I see you are a "Storm Modder." Did you work on some of the Mods?

I hate to sound stupid but, to place it in my C: drive - I have to double click on computer and put the POTC folder in that list of folders where the program files folder is located - right?

As long as I don't place it inside of the program files folder I will be okay? I told you I wasn't very "computer tech minded." Should I download some of the POTC Mods now or just wait until I get the game?

When I installed the Mods for Rome Total War (2004), the folders went into the program files folder. How do you send a private message to someone here? I clicked on their name, but I didn't see an option for it. This seems like such a great place. Do you folks cover all pirate video games, or just the 2003 game?

Thanks again for all your info and time. I will be in touch, as I'm sure I'll need some assistance. I'll check YouTube to see if I can find some video of the game with Mods.

You make a folder, name it : C:\potc . put it in Lokal disk , guide your game to that destination ,and play.
For private messages ,look at your inbox, you find the option there. Yes download the latest mod: build 3.3,
it will gives you much more fun than the stock game. Sorry for my english.Good luck.:pirate07:

You don't have an Intel graphics card so that is definitely good. Those are generally the biggest source of problems.

Nathaniel Hawk is still there in the mods as is still there as is the original music.
We did add a lot but did not replace any of the old content that was good.

Back