• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates Proposition

Asquinol

Sailor Apprentice
So, there I was playing on my 2nd character as Horatio Hornblower. Having just finished the English questline I was headed to the tavern to have a pint when I was approached by a bloke named Nathaniel Hawk. This fellow says he has a proposition for me and I should meet him on his ship, the Pelican. Well, I thought, "Why not!" and met him outside the Port Royal harbor. Boy, did he have a nice ship. A Battle Manowar! Looks very similiar to my Kings Manowar but has a nicer paint job and holds a larger crew, which is all I could discern at a glance. Well, I didn't fancy attacking the Frenchies so I declined his offer. Apparently, he wasn't willing to just let me return to my ship and go along my merry way as he set his crew on me and tried to murderize me. The gall! Of course, Mr. Hawk ran away like a scallywag and wouldn't face me like a a true buccaneer. Needless to say, I fought off his weak crewmen and returned to my ship, thinking to just sail away and forget about it. Alas, this was not to be. The Pelican opened fire on me!

/sigh

"OK" I think, "Well I guess I will just have to add his ship to my personal inventory." We returned fire and quickly de-masted the Pelican, switched to grape and started to kill his crew. As I get within boarding range, I find that I do not have that option. Hmm. "Why can't I board him?" I ponder.

I try numerous times to get the option to board and it never comes up. I sail out of range, and back in again. Nothing. The ropes and grapples just won't hold.

Bugger.

Well, if I can't have the Pelican then neither can he... so I switch to bombs and start to pummel her to oblivion. After a good pounding, demasted, decrewed and not far from sinking Nathaniel Hawk sends me a message that he would like to pay me to leave him alone. Now, normally I refuse such silly offers as the amount offered is usually a pittance and not worthy of accepting. However, Mr. Hawk must really have wanted to keep the Pelican afloat and made me an offer that I just couldn't refuse... over 10,800,000 gold!!! Blimey! Of course I accepted and sent Mr. Hawk and the Pelican along their merry way with me being nearly 11 million gold richer.

Now, the only thing I could think of was that we both flew an English flag but then I realized that could not be the case and it must be a mechanic of the game to not let certain "Captains" lose their ships. But even that doesn't make sense as I have Constance Magliore stored in her ship in my dockyard. She was a "companion" that I met in the tavern one night and spent awhile marauding together until she got annoying so I put her away in dry dock to think things over. No such luck with Mr. Hawk though. Maybe it is because he wasn't a "companion" but a "Pirates Proposition"?

Anyone have a confirmation on this mechanic of the game? Are there certain ships that one just cannot capture? I really really want a Battle Manowar now though, even if I did spent a fortune upgrading the "Camura" not too long ago. I WILL find one though and I have a nice nearly 11 mil to spend on upgrades...

:shrug I know of no reason for this to happen.

There was a bug where if you talked to other Captains then you could not board any ship, but that was fixed some time ago.

Back