• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Pistol price discrepancy

I don't know if it's possible to make ship captains more likely to carry a certain type of weapon, but in any case it shouldn't be the duelling pistol. That is supposed to be rare and expensive. It certainly wouldn't be military issue. In reality, they'd be in pairs, both pistols identical, to be used for a formal duel. Using it for routine combat would cause more wear on the one being used - even if you carried both and used them as a pair, one would end up a bit more worn than the other. So they'd no longer be identical. At that point they cease to be duelling pistols and just become a pair of normal horse pistols.

There was never any rumour about a gun being hidden in a particular house, mainly because the stock game didn't spoon-feed things to players. There were things to be discovered if you went looking, including the few sidequests which actually worked in the stock game.

Of course, both the duelling pistol and the new double barrel pistol can also be used for quest purposes... (There is already one way in which you can get involved in a formal duel in the game, and when I have time, I may look into assigning you and your opponent a specific sword and pistol. You won't be able to change equipment during the duel.)

Another thought. The short pistol, "pistol1", looks like a Queen Anne pistol. Nothing wrong with that, it's a perfectly reasonable small pistol, except that it's so called because the design is so called because it came into fashion during the reign of Queen Anne, which makes it good for "Golden Age" onwards and not so good for earlier periods.

AoP has this:
aop_pistol1.jpg
How about putting that into PoTC as an alternative short pistol for the earlier two periods? Stats should be the same as, or similar to, those for the existing "pistol1" - it just looks a bit more suitable for "Early Explorers" and "Spanish Main".

Last edited:
More variety is always good as long as it doesn't become overwhelming.
I see absolutely no objection to adding a new weapon as a replacement for a few periods only.
Sounds cool! :cheers

No worries there - I wasn't planning to add variants for all weapons. :) I won't be importing the AoP double-barrel pistol because I'm already importing the GoF one, albeit only for a one-off Easter egg or for quest use. And I don't need to import the AoP quad-barrel pistol because it's already in PoTC as the quad-barrel grapeshot pistol.

But if I do make an alternative "pistol1" for early periods then I'll need to make an alternative "pistol7" as well, as that's the brace of short pistols, whose model is also a Queen Anne type - a rather ornate one, too.

In that case, could I use your model for the alternative "pistol1"? No point in having duplicates of the same model.

There shouldn't be a conflict. The general one is specifically for "Early Explorers" and "Spanish Main". "Woodes Rogers" is set in "Golden Age" and "Gold Bug" is set in "Napoleonic". So anyone playing your quests won't see that model except where you want them to, and anyone playing any other storyline or "FreePlay" in "Golden Age" or later won't see it at all.

I made a different texture which I was planning on using for the alternative "pistol7", brace of small pistols:
aop_pistol1b.jpg
I could use that for the alternative "pistol1" as well. Or I could make a new texture for the quest version to make it more special.

Last edited:
So in Golden Age the stock Potc one would be used as pistol1?
I have this pistol with it's texture already on pictures so better leave the quest one as it is.
My imported model is called pistol202.

It's of course better the more unique the quest content is. Sweden as a new nation was in that aspect worse
as I already had Sweden as a unique quest colony. Denmark would have been better for me.

Sweden as a new nation was in that aspect worse
as I already had Sweden as a unique quest colony. Denmark would have been better for me.
If it had been Denmark, I doubt it would have been done. More work required > doesn't happen... :(

So in Golden Age the stock Potc one would be used as pistol1?
Exactly. The problem with stock "pistol1" is that it is a style which was not in use in the earlier periods, so the alternative is only needed for "Early Explorers" and "Spanish Main".
I have this pistol with it's texture already on pictures so better leave the quest one as it is.
My imported model is called pistol202.
Does it appear on any pictures other than the interface picture? If I'm not mistaken, "pistol202" is the one which is supposed to be marked "CSAR", and I could mark it as such, on the left side only so the interface picture doesn't need to change (though updating the interface picture wouldn't take long if you want "CSAR" on the right).

Pistol202 is also one of the 6 pistols in Blackbeard's Belt. So it's visible in that Picture too. If you want to retexture it, well then it's another
model with its own pictures so no problem. The 'CSAR' is only mentioned in the text description.

The interface picture for Blackbeard's belt only shows the pistol from the right, on a small scale, and some of the pistol is obscured by the belt, so the custom marking won't show up. What I had in mind was this:
aop_pistol1c.jpg
The other option would be to put the lettering on the woodwork below the barrel, on the right so it would show up on the pistol's interface picture, but it still wouldn't show up on the interface picture for the belt.

You're probably glad I didn't use either of the AoP duelling pistols for my duelling pistol. ;)

Yes that's a nice thing but if you look in itemsJRH all the 6 single pistols belonging to the belt show the other side.
Also if CSAR should be printed on one of the pistols there are 5 more...

So, thanks but it's fine as it is. Feel free to use the model the way you want.

Yes that's a nice thing but if you look in itemsJRH all the 6 single pistols belonging to the belt show the other side.
I did. As I said, the picture of the belt with 6 pistols shows the right side, and the pistols are partly obscured by the belt's holsters anyway, plus the pictures of the pistols are tiny. So custom markings aren't going to show up on that picture.
Also if CSAR should be printed on one of the pistols there are 5 more...
Not a problem. Tell me what you want written on them and where - brass plate on the left, engraved in wood on the right, both of the above, something else... If it's on the right then it will show up on the pistol's picture in "itemsJRH", but it's never going to show up on the belt picture.
So, thanks but it's fine as it is. Feel free to use the model the way you want.
Thanks! Actually, thinking about it a bit more, that version which I originally planned for "pistol7a" works nicely for "pistol1a" anyway. Lacking the brass ornamental fittings of the AoP original, with dull iron barrel and mechanism, it looks more like the cheap, simple pistol which this is supposed to be. So for "pistol7a", I've made another texture, sort of half way between them - it has a brass barrel, though more yellow and less reddish than the original, it has a large plain metal plate on the left instead of the original small ornamental one, the decorations below the barrel are still left out, and the mechanism is still iron. So it, too, looks simpler and cheaper than "pistol202". The quest version therefore remains distinct in appearance.

Last edited:
So, these are "pistol1a" and "pistol7a":
pistol1a_right.jpg pistol1a_left.jpg pistol7a_right.jpg pistol7a_left.jpg

Next, I had to go through all the files which mention "pistol1" or "pistol7" and put in conditions to instead use "pistol1a" or "pistol7a" in the earlier periods. Windows Index Search was pretty well essential for this! On that note, @Bartolomeu o Portugues, have you any objection to me replacing "pistol1" with "pistol1a" in the "Bartolomeu" and "Assassin" storylines? So that Roxanne Lalliere, for example, uses the above "pistol1a" instead of the later Queen Anne style "pistol1"?

Thanks, but I think the text will be too small even in the individual pistures so I'll stay with
those names only in the description texts.

Back