• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Player to Hoist White Flag to Surrender in Battle

KillPhil

Corsair
Storm Modder
So as I said, a new thread. I will post here all bugs and ideas about the surrender mode.

- When a ship out of a convoy surrenders, the other ships, even when not surrendered, turn to 'neutral'. They can't turned to 'enemy' again when firing at them, they just sail on. This happens often, but not always.

- Very rare: A ship surrendered, but behaves like 'neutral' and can't be borded.

IDEAS: (I dont want to open a new thread in another section, so I just post it here:

I had this idea a long time ago: Can we convince the AI to manouver so, that they can board you? Because its really frustrating/senseless when a group of 3 pirates just sink my pinnace instead of board it. I even think the AI could do this in the stock game :O

I recently noticed, that you can now hoist the white flag.. can we tell the AI to board and plunder our ship if we do that?

- When a ship out of a convoy surrenders, the other ships, even when not surrendered, turn to 'neutral'. They can't turned to 'enemy' again when firing at them, they just sail on. This happens often, but not always.
Known long-standing bug. I think it is related to the "flag ship" of a squadron surrendering.
Several people tried to fix it and failed. We may just have to live with this one....

- Very rare: A ship surrendered, but behaves like 'neutral' and can't be borded.
They may have surrendered to someone other than you. It is possible for ships to surrender to each other even without the player being involved.

I had this idea a long time ago: Can we convince the AI to manouver so, that they can board you? Because its really frustrating/senseless when a group of 3 pirates just sink my pinnace instead of board it. I even think the AI could do this in the stock game :O
While I don't think ships ever deliberately manoeuvred to board you, if they get the chance they may very well initiate boarding on their own. Especially if they have the advantage.

Controlling ship manoeuvring is probably not feasible within game engine limitations.

I recently noticed, that you can now hoist the white flag.. can we tell the AI to board and plunder our ship if we do that?
That was a side-effect of the rewritten Nations Relations interface. I think @konradk had some ideas with that white flag, but didn't get round to finishing everything he started.
Not sure whether we should keep that option at all. Right now, it makes very little sense indeed. :facepalm

Yeah well I already thought that.. well I agree we can live with that^^

Nope, the ship surrendered to me, as I was the only enemy ship for it. Happened only in BBF so far..

Too bad... that would really make battles even more interesting

well I think it's a nice feature to keep.. because sometimes you get a random encounter that is impossible to get out alive.. e.g. : I encounter with my Bark a fleet consisting of several frigates.. surrendering would be a nice feature here, as you will lose some money and your cargo, but can get away alive.. It should even be possible, that the enemy captain takes you as prisoner (an escape-sidequest maybe?) or wants to fight you (like you can choose).. many possibilities with this feature, so I'd say just keep it in, and add some content to that when the time comes ;)

I still want to make it that if you die during a boarding from a ship which has army on it you wont really die but just end up in jail and need to get out.
Remind me to make that soon ;).
Surendering might be an option but I don't know if we could make that. For now I think its to much work for what it will give but maybe later if I finished some of the things I personally want to make.

Well, that white flag option is already there. So part of the work is done at least.

Well if you start to code this, let me know ;) perhaps I can help you with a few simple things^^

I still want to make it that if you die during a boarding from a ship which has army on it you wont really die but just end up in jail and need to get out.
Remind me to make that soon ;).
If so, please make it optional. Some of us would rather just reload an earlier savegame. As was pointed out in another thread, if you try to reload a savegame while the game is still deciding whether to resurrect you, it can cause trouble, and I wouldn't be surprised if trying to reload while you're being sent to jail will do the same thing. At the very least, if it's optional then we don't need to wait for the jailing process to complete before reloading.

I'm sure it can be linked to the current resurrection chance in InternalSettings.h . :yes

No actual fixable bugs here, so I'm marking this as "Not a Bug".

Back