• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Playing as Naval Officer: Chaotic Crew

Cassadar

Freebooter
Storm Modder
While playing as a Naval Officer your crew doesn't care about their dress code anymore if you hoist a false flag. Here's how you do it:
  1. Start a new game as Naval Officer.
  2. Go back to your ship as soon as you arrive at the harbour.
  3. Raise a false flag.
  4. Visit your crew's quarters and see what happens.
01.jpg20161005222337_1.jpg

They also appear like this on your ship deck later.

It happens both in the July version and the September WIP. @ANSEL also reported here that he got a civil crewmember after taking some of his men to shore. I wasn't able to replicate this, but perhaps it's related to this one if the game gets confused enough.

Last edited:
And do they keep dressing like that if you go back to your real flag? I actually like them more without uniform, as navy sailors usually didn't have one, and it's weirder to me having a crew enterily made of soldiers.

They change back, as far as I have seen; no guarantees though; only happens with a Navy character too. At first I thought this could be some kind of roleplaying thing to add a bit more immersion. Entering a french colony with some of your crewmembers by your side while they wear a british uniform feels pretty awkward, but apparently this is not the case as it doesn't even work on shore.

@Pieter Boelen said that change in clothing isn't supposed to happen.

Last edited:
@Homo eructus I have been thinking like you about uniforms. Indeed it
will look better with only a few Marine soldiers about. The Petty officers
was wearing uniforms too I think, Dont now about privates uniforms on
naval ships, but I think they have a kind of uniform too.

Not having your whole ship crewed by soldiers does make sense, of course.
More complicated though. Feel free to make a Feature Request.

Maybe those soldiers get set to "issoldier" and the location nation changes depending on your flag?
Either way, it's weird. One more thing to be investigated.

In the first thread where this was reported @Levis asked

@pedrwyth you've got an older version running still right?
Could you check if the problem with the uniforms is also in older version?

Whilst with my windows 10 problem persisting I wouldn't say I had any version running but this simple check at game start I can do. It exists back as far as version 4 - 18 feb (which is the earliest I have actually installed (3.4 was before free play - naval was introduced so that is no good to check). So not a "new" problem in current WIP. I could go to a late 3.5 if I re-installed it but I doubt finding out when it first occurs would help?

Actually what seems to be happening is some specific crew members swap their "nationality" (as indicated by uniform but also their character icon) to whatever false flag you have (and keep swapping to whatever you change it to) - you need to change location for the refresh to bring up the change. Others remain steadfastly unaffected. I haven't tried taking them ashore after triggering the problem (I presume swapping flag when ashore is still a locked behaviour)

Yes I think its a flag problem. Yesterday my nation turns hostile to me,
when I hoist my personal flag ( without any reason)
Playing as a naval officer, I saw the crew change to " personal uniform"
when I hoist personal flag and goes into a town.

On the topic of sailor uniforms, they did have uniforms. But that was only after about the 1750s. And even in that they tended to not strictly follow them at all times. But in theory, yes they all have uniforms. Marines were much stricter in enforcing uniformity and drills.

I say this just as a thought - not to annoy anyone.

If you are sailing under a false flag - near a fort or an enemy ship - you might ask some of your crew to dress up as enemy soldiers so that when the enemy sees them on deck they are more convinced by your false flag. :p

:duel:

True.

But I don't remember any code ever being put in place to deliberately do that.
So I do still wonder what it is that does it. :shock

I suspect the flags are confusing the game in some weird matter.

It does indeed sound like that.

My assumption is that your flag changes the current location nation and your soldiers on deck are affected by that for some reason.

It doesn't happen when walking around ashore, right?

This is what happened sailing under personal flag, as naval officer.
I have sailed a long time under personal flag and every thing was alright,
suddenly the crew change to personal uniforms, whit out any known reason.seadogs2_0000.jpg

Probably still a real bug. Must be because it uses the location nation, which depends on the player nation, which is the (false) flag flown.

it still happens. went back to my ship, raised a spanish false flag, went down to the crews quarters and they were all dressed as spanish soldiers

So what do we want to happen?

So what do we want to happen?
Two options:
1. Maintain the outfits of your "served nation" regardless of flag flown
2. Switch to merchant outfits if you're flying a false flag (e.g. one that you do not have a LoM or Navy rank for)

Switch uniforms! If you're flying a false French flag, it's going to be a dead giveaway if your crew are all wearing British uniforms. OK, not in the game, which doesn't take account of outfits. But when Hornblower was trying to pass himself off as French after sailing into the Spanish fleet in the fog, he had all the crew in French uniforms. As far as I'm concerned, switching uniform when you switch flag isn't a bug, it's an authentic feature.

can I make a sugestion for build 15?
You first need to purchace the uniform from the tailor before you an use it? And if you don't have it the chance your false flag is deteced will be higher ;).

Back