• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help PoC or COAS

kanzyman

Landlubber
Hi everyone,

I am not new to the pirates games (sea dogs was my first) and I am torn between getting PoC or COAS, I have seen New horizon mod for PoC and GoF 2.0 for COAS and both really change the game and adds so much to them, I found both games on Amazon there are not expensive but I really can't play both and only have time to invest on one of them so my question is which is better in terms of game play and story.

If you search on the forum, there are many threads covering this exact same question.
The answer is always the same, but of course it keeps skewing further and further towards PotC due to recent updates,
because PotC is still being modded to this day and CoAS (almost) isn't.

CoAS has a bit better graphics and some improved functionality in its original game. The mods don't add a huge amount to it.

PotC was much simpler originally, but completely transformed by the mods into what probably amounts to several games in one.
It also has a lot of mod-added unique storylines that are really very varied.

Of course I am biased towards PotC, but from what I gather, both games are good.

CoAS has a lot of difficult riddles and Easter Eggs. PotC doesn´t.
Depends on what you consider to be riddles and easter eggs.
PotC has a bunch of quite complicated puzzles in the Woodes Rogers and part of the Bartolomeu storylines.
And I reckon the albatross, cursed coins, long rifle and shotgun do count as being easter eggs.

What does CoAS have on that? I know about the questions you have to answer and PotC definitely doesn't have that.
But what easter eggs are there?

If COAS had a realistic sailing environment I would be on it in a heartbeat. But it doesn't.

This not to say POTC is good, just not as bad.

There are some good puzzles and quite a few easter eggs in CoAS, some of them quite anachronistic! Getting out of the City of Abandoned Ships is quite tough to do without help, and the pearl divers is quite frustrating at times too. There are others, but it has been a while since I played. POTC certainly has it beat by a very wide margin for Mod content though!

You have never played GOF2?

The chaotic water does not behave that much like water.

The way the ships jerk around like mechanical rides at a local carnival are not remotely realistic.

The floating islands.

The too big too dim sun that rises in the North East and sets in the North West. That puts you in the Southern Hemisphere. POTC is the same here.

The dark sky around said big dim sun while there is a bright sky on the other side of the sky.

The moon that rises in the South and sets in the North.

The visible planets hanging in the sky.

I don't know where COAS is set, but it ain't planet Earth.

You have never played GOF2?
I may have spent about 30 minutes total time in CoAS ever.
Never had the time and not really the interest either. The AoP style character models look too Japanese for my pirating likes.
And for some reason the environment indeed doesn't look like the Caribbean.

I thought PotC had its sun and moon directions fixed? Anyway, I do remember the CoAS worldmap is rotated 180 degrees compared to the PotC one for some reason.
@Armada noticed that when he used it as basis for the current PotC worldmap.

LOL! Though I suppose it does match with what you see in the PotC films. Because those really do look like they were filmed in the North Sea area.
Which is quite stupid, because they filmed in the actual Caribbean. But while the "making of" documentaties look like they were indeed filmed there, the resulting films do not.
That's what you get for going for a bit of a "dark and gritty" sort of ambience. As much as people seem to think that is realistic, it really isn't.
And I can know, because I spent a good many years sailing around the Caribbean.

At least Black Sails DOES look like it is set in the actual Caribbean, so it IS possible in this day and age.

@Pieter Boelen

There are not only questions to answer but what can i tell a gamer that has only played CoAS for 30 minutes. This game can take ages. Anyway in CoAS you can find hidden Treasures, Totems, Weapons, special crafted items of all kind, persons, ships etc. all over the caribbean see. More or less all quests are easy to spoil if you only make one little mistake. Specially the main quests like CoAS, Ascold, Austin, Flying Dutchman, Tenochtitlan, Enchanted City and Sharp´s Spy are really hardcore gaming if you try to play them for the first time. Sometimes you don´t know anything and have to reach everything.

I don´t even know one game in the market that can deliver such a variety like CoAS can. It is a Roleplaying-, Strategy-, Action- and Adventuregame all in the same moment. Not even SKYRIM, that comes right after CoAS for me, has that potential in my opinion.

Personaly i´m not looking for historical or material correctness in the first place. For me the most important things in gaming are having fun, suspense and satifaction by trying to get everything out of it.

Last edited:
It sure does. And very much so at that! :wp
CoAS has all sorts of hidden items around, PotC perhaps has perhaps a smaller amount, but they are there and are really very special (albatross, cursed coins, Neptune's Trident, Blade Kit, Long Rifle, Shotgun Easter Egg, etc.).
CoAS has difficult quests and riddles, PotC has a huge variety of different storylines and sidequests along with quite amazing adventure style puzzles.

If I understand correctly, CoAS has different fencing moves which PotC definitely doesn't and never will.
But PotC has all sorts of crazy "special weapons" for you to play with and use as alternate strategies.

CoAS has long sidequests plus one "main quest" for each nation.
PotC has several very different mod-added main quests, along with a bunch of shorter sidequests.

One thing that I am prety sure CoAS doesn't have is "Periods" functionality. Therefore it mixes and matches ships from different time frames.
PotC has the same amount of content (actually, probably more), but has it split into historical time periods which are activated based on a selectable game starting date.
This also changes nation relations, town ownership, governors, soldier models and weapons available. There is even a fully functional steamfrigate in the last time period.
I am personally not overly fussed over historical accuracy either, but if the possibility is there and it doesn't detract from the gameplay, then why not have it?

Both games have got different approaches, but I think in the end they accomplish very similar things.
The only real differences are that CoAS is newer with some improved functionality and was pretty good even from the start.
PotC on the other hand was made great purely through our modding and is still actively being worked on.

Though if I let my biased opinion slip through, I do believe that CoAS is one good game.
PotC on the other hand has so much varied mod-added content with completely unique different storylines,
gameplay styles such as privateer, navy, pirate, merchant, smuggler (WIP) and six accurate time periods that I reckon it counts as several good games.

But that is just my opinion. There is no "right" and "wrong" here; it all comes down to personal preference.
Best solution is to try both games and see which one you like.
And for things that you think could be improved on for PotC, post on our forum and we might be able to do something about it. :cheeky

In total I'm not so sure about that. Only in WoodesRogers there are about 250 pictures for new items. BuildingItems not counted.
Of course if you count storyline-only items, then surely PotC has CoAS beat by a very wide margin.
I was thinking of general things that are available in free play as well.

Back