• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Port Conquest Problem

Jason Maffettone

Lord of Entropy
Quest Writer
Provisional
Storm Modder
I took over a French port (twice) and tried installing my own governor and an English one. In both cases the governor still thinks he's French and I don't have access to military ships. Is this a known issue or a glitch peculiar to me?

Oh I like this. I think the capture colony mod is unfinished. Yeah, I experienced that too.
Their manner of speaking to you is like you two are equal or as you say it, "still think he's French" and with the access of military ships.
I say if you successfully captured a big colony, there must be some military ships left behind and this will also serve as a bonus.

What French port is that? Perhaps the governor's dialog isn't properly "generic".

This was martinique. It wasn't just dialogue though, if I asked him (in both cases) about work he said something like "You know we are at war with England so I can't help you." In other words he was acting like a hostile power twoards England even when he was supposed to be an English Governor. When I asked about "relations" he gave the right answer ("we are at war with France) but still acted as though it were a French colony in other respects.

Very odd. I just checked, but his dialog is properly generic like it should be.
Other option is that his nation really doesn't change. But it should. :modding

Are you sure Martinique's governor's dialog is fully neutral? He's not like other governors, he has a few unique things to say, e.g. wanting you to sink an English raider, plus various options to do with the girl won in a card game.

I just checked, but there are no lines of code in his dialog that hard-lock him into being French.
Do you have a savegame where he has changed nationality and still insists on being French?
That would allow me to do some tests when I've got time.

No, sorry. I re-installed recently. He spoke with the French accent and claimed to be at war with England (even when he was an English governor) refusing to do business with me. Also the naval ships were not available. Odly, when I asked about relations it said "England" and he gave the proper answers so it was likely only certain aspects that didn't reset themselves. I'll take that port again (and perhaps some others to see if it was that port or all of them) and see what happens. I'll keep a save game file for you.

See that handsome devil? That Nathaniel clone is the new governor of Port au Prince, Hispaniola, which I've just captured and given to Britain. It's pretty obvious that he's not the original governor because the original governor is a governess. :)

port_au_prince_governor.jpg

You can see that he's slightly confused about his allegiance, though when I ask him about French relations, he says "We're currently at war with France and Spain". I have a saved game out in the town square as I'm just about to talk to Angelique Moulin (who is still there despite the change of management), so I kept reloading the game and going to the governor to talk about business until he gave me a ship-hunting quest that didn't involve a pirate. Eventually he told me to go and sink something French. Meanwhile there's a Kreyser class frigate for sale in the shipyard. So, apart from the initial dialog glitch, he seems to behave like a perfect British gentleman.

There are (at least) two differences between this and Jason's situation. The obvious one is that it's Port au Prince, not St. Pierre, and (as far as I know) has nothing special about the governor - nothing unique to do with quests. Also, I'm using Beta 3.1, so it may be something else has been fouled up in Beta 3.2. I'll have to try my luck with St. Pierre again some time - last time I visited that place, it was for money rather than conquest.

I've just had a look at the dialog file for Isabelle de Cussy, the default governor of Port au Prince. The line "I'm interested to learn about French relations with other nations" is fixed, whereas other lines such as "I can no longer serve" have a break before the next bit, presumably allowing the current nation to be filled in. And I wasn't watching carefully when I received a string of promotions, but if it is still using that file then David Breakspear is going to feel a bit embarrassed when I answer "Thank you, Madam". xD

LOL! Indeed having the nationality and stuff like that fixed would cause such problems. :yes

Back