• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Possibility to get an estimate of a ship's crew size in Iron Man mode

FlyingGhost

Rumrunner
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
I've long been using the Iron Man mode, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

One problem that's long been nagging me is that I'm unable to estimate the size of a ship's crew. While it's possible to observe sail and partly also hull damage, the ship's crew cannot be judged from looking at the ship without the aid present in other modes.

Am I wrong? Does the amount of crew members on deck reflect the amount of actual crewmen? If so, is it a set number or does it change when the crew is decimated? If none of this is the case, would it even be possible to do this? How could it be possible to allow people to get an estimate of the crew size otherwise, without spoiling the realism?

Even Realistic Game Mode has an inaccuracy built into all values provided by the spyglass and you, as player, have to mentally interpolate between the values shown.

I wonder how it would have worked in real life; Ideally indeed based on the number of crew on deck.
But I don't think that is heavily dependent on the actual crew on board (if at all) and we don't have control over it either.

Back