• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Post 28th July fixes

I had thought that number 5 contained everything necessary for "Woodes Rogers" without any such unwanted additions.
#5 contained only the 2 latest quest updates, 3 earlier (which were in the zips) are missing. Also bugfixes are missing, I'm
checking which ones at the moment.

If not, then @Jack Rackham, could you put together such a zip?
Yes, and I'll use the same initItems.c as base as the one now in the game.

I have uploaded on the ftp "JRH missing mods 16-11-22"

These are the missing mods

WoodesRogers update:
WR2: alchemy update & Maltains 100 files
WR2: Maze 152 files
WR2: Isle & Flag files 93 files

bugfixes and small mods:
bugfix skillitems 2 files
new tomahawk 5 files
baker rifle mod 13 files
cabin chests 46 files

The pack contains 'only' 373 files (not 411) because some of the in game files are the correct ones and
other were different generations of the same file.
I have merged the 29 most 'dangerous' (common) files with the current game.
A correct WoodesRogers Startstoryline.c is included.

This zip is to put on top of @GreyRogers zip. To become a bigger one.
I have tested and my things are there alright now.

Let's not ever get into a situation like this. If there's supposed to be 2 versions (experimental & more
definitive) it has to be very clear which mods to go where.

What is supposed to be in this version, as I said in post #1:
No experimental new mods are included. What's in:
  • Bug fixes, as reported in "Build Mod Bug Tracker" and the fix reported in "New Content: Post Build 14 Beta 4.0 Public Release"
  • A few other bug fixes found elsewhere
  • Cosmetic changes which do not affect general gameplay
  • Storyline and sidequest changes which do not affect gameplay outside their specific stories/quests
I've tried to keep out anything related to brainstorms and overhauls featured in the later ZIP updates, though something may have got in if I mistakenly included a bugfix which held code from such an update, or worse, was actually a fix for a bug in said updates.
The Baker rifle mod should therefore not be included. For a fixes-only mod, the extra cabin chests should probably not be included either. Would it be possible to have a version of your collection without those two?

The Baker rifle mod should therefore not be included.
What was the "Baker rifle mod" again? :unsure

For a fixes-only mod, the extra cabin chests should probably not be included either.
@Jack Rackham: How stable is that particular modification? Based on my understanding, that one could actually be safe to include.
And I seem to recall @ANSEL wanted it at the time, so it might be nice for him.

A new rifle with new stats, to be used by the "Hornblower" storyline.
Ah, that's what it was! Thanks for reminding me.
I think that one should be quite safe then, right? There shouldn't be any major bugs arising from adding one item, I reckon.

The Baker rifle and the cabin chests are rather harmless mods.
The tomahawk is really a bugfix as the old one didn't go well with all kind of pistols.
I would prefer to leave this as it is.

What I tried to say or ask: What went wrong with the install 28 july + the ealier zips?
Shouldn't my mods/updates have been included there?
Should there have been a split up between safe/experimental ealier?

No experimental new mods are included. What's in:
  • Bug fixes, as reported in "Build Mod Bug Tracker" and the fix reported in "New Content: Post Build 14 Beta 4.0 Public Release"
  • A few other bug fixes found elsewhere
  • Cosmetic changes which do not affect general gameplay
  • Storyline and sidequest changes which do not affect gameplay outside their specific stories/quests
I've tried to keep out anything related to brainstorms and overhauls featured in the later ZIP updates, though something may have got in if I mistakenly included a bugfix which held code from such an update, or worse, was actually a fix for a bug in said updates.

Remember that the idea here is to include only bugfixes and storylines, the latter only if they do not affect general gameplay compared to the 28th July version. Did I miss something which is required for "Woodes Rogers"?
So the revised rifle for "Hornblower" should not be in here; and the extra cabin chests count as "affect general gameplay", especially as they seem to require changes to all the "StartStoryline.c" files.

It's too much work now to clean those 2 mods out. I have spent 2 days fixing this. It's enough.

What went wrong with the install 28 july + the ealier zips?
The same thing that's plagued us before, with the only difference being that this time it (thankfully!) didn't happen as part of my EXEs.
Basically, a huge amount of new stuff, some fixes, some stable new content, some UN-stable new content and some balancing changes all got thrown together.

The end result is a game version with amazing potential, but that is not actually properly playable because there are bugs and unfinished/untested content.
And because it is all thrown together in the same mix, it is near-impossible to do targeted testing as it is of course unclear which issues are related to which changes. :facepalm

Shouldn't my mods/updates have been included there?
I think @Levis did indeed include them, except maybe your most recent work. :yes

Should there have been a split up between safe/experimental ealier?
YES!

@pedrwyth and @Armada suggested that already in April and I immediately agreed it was a very good idea. I also immediately said I would refuse to maintain both version.
Of course this is not due to any ill will on my part, but I honestly can no longer afford to do everything that needs doing.
This seems to be a direct result of that discussion earlier this year. I asked for support at the time but did not get it then.
So now there are consequences. See here for details: Discussion - Releasing Future Modpack Versions | PiratesAhoy!

There has been talk of a "fixes only" collection for some time. I got bored waiting for it. xD
Progress here seems to have been very shaky since I came back from holiday,
which is pretty much when I became completely swamped with other things to keep me busy.
So I'm really very grateful to you for picking up the slack! :bow

So the revised rifle for "Hornblower" should not be in here; and the extra cabin chests count as "affect general gameplay", especially as they seem to require changes to all the "StartStoryline.c" files.
For these two examples, I am inclined to say it should be OK to include them. Any changes to the gameplay from those two should be relatively minor.
If you're not sure, you could make a forum poll to ask the other players if they have any objections to those two being included.

These 2 mods have been in play for a while now and nothing have been reported. Today I tested
thr Baker Rifle for pchar and also saw the guards at HornBlower storyline using them.

For these two examples, I am inclined to say it should be OK to include them. Any changes to the gameplay from those two should be relatively minor.

Thats what I thought when I installed the fixes! All my old saves became useless because I could no longer save, a simple added location caused me to lose all my progress. :/

That isn't actually a big bug though.
I understand that is very inconvenient, but supporting additional savegame compatibility requires extra time and effort that we just cannot afford.

Of course ideally a new game should be enforced when this is needed plus players should be informed in advance that they'll need to start over.
But that is just about the best we can reasonably do.

If you're not sure, you could make a forum poll to ask the other players if they have any objections to those two being included.
As per the intent stated in post #20, no revised weapons are to be included, so I'll need to do some WinMerging to get rid of the rifle. I'll need to do that anyway to see if anything else is in there which I'd rather not include. As a compromise, the chests can stay. :D
Of course ideally a new game should be enforced when this is needed plus players should be informed in advance that they'll need to start over.
But that is just about the best we can reasonably do.
Perhaps I should put a new revision number into "globals.c" next time I upload the collection. That should enforce a new savegame.

As per the intent stated in post #20, no revised weapons are to be included, so I'll need to do some WinMerging to get rid of the rifle. I'll need to do that anyway to see if anything else is in there which I'd rather not include. As a compromise, the chests can stay. :D
Cheers. :cheers

Perhaps I should put a new revision number into "globals.c" next time I upload the collection. That should enforce a new savegame.
Sounds like a good idea! :onya

Incidentally, it was unnecessary to add the extra chests to "Ardent\StartStoryline.c". You aren't in that cabin long enough to go rummaging through the original chests, let alone go looking for any new ones. xD

On the other hand, one change which will appear there is the governor of Port Royale. I'd written some new dialog for him, went to test it, and found the default governor in "Golden Age" is Sir Henry Morgan. The trouble there is that in 1691, when "Ardent" is set, Sir Henry Morgan was no longer governor, or for that matter, breathing. And that's why, if you go to visit the governor when playing "Ardent", you're going to meet William McMurrough O'Brien instead.
william_obrien.jpg

Last edited:
Back