• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

Looks like I'll have to look into this one again. Something IS odd.

Somewhere there is a file that allows one to adjust the characters walking and running speed. Of course I can not find it. Does anyone know where it might be?

Yes. RESOURCE\animation\fast_man.ani search [run] and check walk speed.
Compare to man.ani with a slower walkspeed.

To get a guy running fast you have to reload his model but change the animation file like:

SetModel(Pchar, pchar.model, "fast_man", "man", 1.8, true);

to reset to normal

SetModel(Pchar, pchar.model, "man", "man", 1.8, true);

I have been breaking in a new officer with lots of fighting in the jungles and am pleased to report that all fights went at normal speed. I have not noticed any slowing down where the trailer from the swords can be clearly seen.

What did you change to avoid the slowing down?

With that and the recent progress on 3D sailing mode performance, we may yet be able to make PotC playable and fun for you again! :cheers

It has been winX updates, using the latest video drivers, and then experimenting with video card settings. This is not a fix for everyone and in fact I might be the only one blessed with this mess.

Now it runs best on the waterfront and from there is slows down slightly in town, then slows down indoors from hardly noticeable to bad to only the "R" button can get me outta there. In the jungle it is about like it is in town outdoors, just slightly slow.

Oh, POTC3.3 has been and still is very playable and fun. If you had not made that quick fix I would be long gone from here as it has been years since there was another playable version. I am enjoying this latest version with your little fix and can really see no need to "improve" the sailing aspect, which is all I really care about anyway.

Oh, POTC3.3 has been and still is very playable and fun. If you had not made that quick fix I would be long gone from here as it has been years since there was another playable version.
The Beta 3.3 "throw everything out that causes problems" version?
Glad that served its purpose! Though admittedly a tad bit too long. :shock

I am enjoying this latest version with your little fix and can really see no need to "improve" the sailing aspect, which is all I really care about anyway.
The "fix" I posted earlier this weekend? That one is more of a hack than a fix.
With it, skill items and officers basically serve no purpose as the code that checks their skill contributions is being completely bypassed.
Good for performance, not so good for gameplay. :cheeky

Anyway, after today's work, I dare say we should be able to get good performance AND all the functionality we want.
I've made a start on it already and it is looking promising so far. Just have to get it all the way so it becomes ready for release.
Beta 4 should be most definitely better than any version released in the past few years! :cheers

Guys, I am going to buy a new computer in a week or so that will have Windows 10 and it will be a gaming PC with better performance overall. Time to change my 6 year-old computer.

I would like to know first two things:
  1. First, which is your opinion Windows 10? It's nice and good? Do you feel it's a great improvement overall comparing with Windows 7?
  2. And second, how is the perfomance on Windows 10 with POTC in general? Does it have known issues that can cause problems?
Thanks in advance.

Have you read this thread? It covers pretty much how WinX works with POTC for me. I am currently getting the best performance I ever have in POTC except for the slow motion on land. That is a WinX thing. With the Reshade thingy the slowdown on land is gone, but it looks like a 15 year old game with 15 year old hardware at sea. Ugly. Still working on that. I am hoping that Levis can come up with something there.

Everywhere else it is at least as good as Win7 and much better than Win8.1. All of my other games work better than ever. The desktop is easy enough to change to something resembling Win7 that I call it good.

Ok guys, finally I have decided to install in my new computer the Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. By the looks of it, it still needs some fixing of bad errors and problems. Meh, not for me, thanks. So... I don't think there won't be any big issues when installing POTC on my new computer that I will buy around the next week almost for sure.

Last edited:
I have had to give up on Reshade as it does not want to work well at sea. But! By tuning the settings in AMD Catalyst Control Center I managed to get POTC running at almost full speed on land. The difference now is hard to tell.

The key seems to be getting the frame rate down close to 60fps. The lower the frame rate the faster the game runs. It's too bad Win X disables vsync somehow.

The key seems to be getting the frame rate down close to 60fps. The lower the frame rate the faster the game runs.
Bit counter-intuitive, of course. Probably the game engine doesn't quite understand the huge numbers o framerates and gets all confused. :facepalm

It is a Win X thing. POTC ran great in Win8.1 on land. It is weird as it runs better outdoors than indoors.

A hardware upgrade has brought better performance but unfortunately POTC runs worse again. It is a WinX thing as WinX puts certain programs into borderless windowed mode by default and there is no way to disable this "feature".

What this means for POTC is that it gets put into windowed mode. For many this means nothing but for me it means that the frame rate is unlocked. Frame rates up to 1100fps are not only hard on the equipment but they make POTC run extremely slow.

GOF2 does not have this problem. Does anyone have any ideas about how to re-enable vsync in POTC? The engine.ini no longer works. In full screen mode the frame rate is capped at 60fps.

Did engine.ini ever allow you that option in PotC?
Not that I know what it means....

What happens if you install ENB?
Does that help slow down the game a bit so that it speeds up?
(This sounds ridiculous, by the way! :shock )

Back