• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

PotC Build Mod Ship Cleanup

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
In a few days, I think I might start writing up a list of all ships and making a note of my own personal comments on them.
We can then expand on that and finally decide.

While we're at it, is there anything to be said for taking the latest ship additions and repainting those to replace ships we already have?
For example, taking the Greyhound and making her the default frigate, etc.?
And I suppose the "HMS Sophie" can go as well, since we've got a "real" one now?

In a few days, I think I might start writing up a list of all ships and making a note of my own personal comments on them.
We can then expand on that and finally decide.
That'd be a good base to work on. :yes

While we're at it, is there anything to be said for taking the latest ship additions and repainting those to replace ships we already have?
And I suppose the "HMS Sophie" can go as well, since we've got a "real" one now?
I think Greyhound doesn't have enough guns to replace the 'frigate' position. Besides, I always liked the stock frigates. :rolleyes:
True though, the HMS_Sophie has a more than capable replacement now.
I think some of these ships really could work well as other nations' ships if retextured, while others are more distinctive to specific nations.

"In a few days" is today. See attached for the list up to "LightBrig1". Comments would be much appreciated!
I mostly marked the following to be dropped:
- Captain Hawk's rerigs, unless they've got a nice accompanying texture (sorry about that, mate... :eek:ops2 )
- Various SLiB and A&M mod stock game ship retextures, especially for ships of which we already HAVE many textures

I did mark the Endeavour-skins and Galeon5 to be dropped, but obviously we need replacements for those first. :facepalm

On that subject, I'm inclined to keep at least all stock game ship models.
However, since they tend to have textures that aren't as good as our custom ones,
why don't we replace the stock game ships' textures instead?

Hi Pieter

What program do you read those files with?

The attachment? That should be a regular Excel file. It was made with Excel 2009, but should be compatible with earlier versions too.

The attachment? That should be a regular Excel file. It was made with Excel 2009, but should be compatible with earlier versions too.

Or OpenOffice :D

That would be quite cool, the stock frigate/corvette models are based on napoleonic/war of 1812 era ships anyway. Splitting the frigate class in two categories - small 20 to 24 gun ships like the Greyhound and 40 to 44 gun ship withs two decks - would be more historically accurate for the main time frames of the Build Mod imo.

At the moment, I marked only two as definite drop and three to keep for sure. So we'll keep at least three, possibly more.

The Sophie is a nice ship, why should she be removed?

Personally if you want to remove any vessels, take a look at all the ships. All the old models with next to no details/rigging compared to all the latest models should either be marked for a remake, or removed completely.

I also believe all the ships with names like Batavia1 or 2 etc.. should be renamed, something more real/historical.

Sophie looks and works fine, so does the Greyhound. The Greyhound mind you is a tbh with you a Light Frigate.

The list of ships I've sailed and enjoyed have been:

Frigate (Spanish one I captured at the start of my Captain Blood career) - Captured + Sold
Lugger (Only because there was the price bug so it solf for next to nothing, unless that was meant to happen) - Bought + Sold
Xebec (Blue Bird, I used her as my ship for a short white) - Captured + Sold
Schooner - Bought + Sold
`Sophie` Brig Rigged Sloop (Remains in Drydock) - Captured + Drydock
Sloop (I don't like the Bermuda model in this game and is the Pink really called Pink in real life? This ship was bought and used to draw out the Seal Wolf) - Bought + Sold
Sea Wolf (From quest, was used for a short time then put in Drydock) - Captured + Drydock
Corvette (The ship I used for the longest period of time) - Bought + Sold
`Greyhound` Light Frigate (The ship I am currently using) - Captured + In Service

Since I am partly in keeping with RPing my character I plan on moving on to a larger Frigate, before moving up to a Bellona Third Rate, managed to buy one with the Nelson's Pattern and have her in Drydock. And when I have enough money and at the right point I will move to buy a Victory class First Rate to be my Flagship of my fleet which will include the Bellona and some other vessels, perhaps a Frigate or two.

Just an example really, some of us go for all kinds of different ships, but I've tried to keep to the more, modern models. By that I mean, like I said before, the better, more detailed models.

Captain Hog, note that we're talking about the PotC Build Mod and not the CoAS Combined Modpack.

The Sophie is a nice ship, why should she be removed?
Note that I'm NOT talking about this one (see below). Obviously we'll keep Pgargon's. :yes
HMS_Sophie_PotC_1.jpg

As for the other one, which is an improved stock PotC model, I'm thinking if we can make that one replace the original somehow.

Just did a quick scan of the list. For the most part it looks like you want to remove ships that are the same as others of that type except for slight variations in the paint job, and some stock ships. I did not know the Carrack is that bad. The same goes with the fluytofwar34g. You surprised me with those two. Lastly, do you think the windows in the barquem1 will ever get fixed? The lightpinnace1,2,3 have that also.

I've versions of barquem1 and light pinnace 1, 2, and 3 on wich you can see the cabin trough the windows, if it's interesting I can upload them... In fact, i've those kinds of transparent windows with cabin for almost all AOP ships, I can upload them, so it might solve the problem

I did not know the Carrack is that bad.
I marked the "caravol1" as "2 - Potential Drop (Unmodified Stock Game Ships)". She's not bad, but nothing special either.
I suppose she's better than the original PotC caravels though.
In any case, nothing has been decided for that one yet.

The same goes with the fluytofwar34g.
The Fleut of War, on the other hand, uses the same paint scheme as the fleut2 anyway, but only has some rigging changes and cannons added.
As such, I don't see her adding too much to the modpack. On the other hand,
we might be able to make her use another texture and keep her while dropping the other retextured fleut.

I've versions of barquem1 and light pinnace 1, 2, and 3 on wich you can see the cabin trough the windows, if it's interesting I can upload them... In fact, i've those kinds of transparent windows with cabin for almost all AOP ships, I can upload them, so it might solve the problem
That DOES sound interesting! Better detail for existing ships is always better, especially if it solves these mystery see-through windows! :woot

This reminds me i've the same model also for the caravol and for the fleutt, i'll have to upload it too, and have a more precise look on it ... I will list it to be sure it concerns all the AOP ships added

Here they are, I uploaded all the models I had on the FTP in the file : transparent windows models.rar in my folder on the FTP

So in this .rar we have : Barquem1, Light Pinnace 1, 2 & 3, Fleutt, Caravol1, Galeon_h2, FastGalleon1, FastGalleon2, Lineship5, Manowar3

The models described have their textures with them ;)

transparent windows models

Thanks very much, mate! I'll look at those tomorrow. :yes
I don't think we've got a Galeon_h2 in PotC though... :?

In the meantime, I got the list finished up to SP_BattleGalleon_Weathered. See the opening post.

True! (must get some sleep W___W ) My mistake, it is one of those ships I use sometimes :X I find it nice for early periods

So in this .rar we have : Barquem1, Light Pinnace 1, 2 & 3, Fleutt, Caravol1, Galeon_h2, FastGalleon1, FastGalleon2, Lineship5, Manowar3

The models described have their textures with them ;)
These ships look much improved, now!
The only thing is that some of our current textures have been replaced (FastGalleon1 and 2, Manowar3).
Plus, you didn't actually change the Caravol1...? :? Still opaque windows.

Pieter, I've had a look through your long list of ships:
  • You've designated some perfectly good stock ships as 'potential drop', but personally I think we'd lose a lot of diversity in-game without many of them. Plus, many of them don't have a suitable replacement model. And there's no way you're taking my Battleship2 flagship- you'll have to kill me first! :ixi
  • You forgot to give me credit for RN_SteamFrigate... :?
  • RN_Warship, HMS_Surprise and Sophie1 are English; most certainly not French and US ships! xD:
That's all I've found so far, and the rest seems reasonable to me.

EDIT: Woah there! There's a couple of ships you've given 1/5 which are perfectly usable... right?
e.g.
- FR_SuperiorWarship1 just got a really nice new texture from Seb, and new details could easily be added;
- Frigate5_46 looks fine to me;
- NL_Battleship is a re-textured Battleship2, and again seems fine.
- NL_lineship2, again seems fine.
- PO_Manowar has a really nice texture (plus we're struggling for Portuguese ships anyway)

So have I missed something? :?

EDIT2: I noticed you said there's another texture for FrigateNKSup... which texture is that?

Back