• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved POTC Engine stopped working - Win 8.1 Laptop

Null8fuenf10

Landlubber
Arrrrr Pirates!

Well, after several years I wanted to play POTC again but I have the engine stopped working issue...
I remember I had it once and Shiftshader was the solution, but not in this case.
Also, I installed the game in C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean.

I'm working on a Toshiba Laptop Model SATELLITE S50-B
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r7.150109-2022)
BIOS: 2.00
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Display Devices: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 and AMD Radeon R7 M260

Dx Diag.txt attached.

I hope, you can help me, and that this isn't a double post.

Thanks and Godspeed!
N8F10

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    91.7 KB · Views: 337
:ahoy

Swiftshader is no more. When installing the mod you have the option to install the intel graphics fix along with wide screen stuff. Maybe that will help.

But! Are you sure you are using the AMD graphics? Those using laptops with nvidia graphics find that they are actually using the intel graphics instead. Look in your control panel for video settings and power settings.

Well then, farewell Swiftshader! (not shiftshader arrr! :D)

You're talking about the New Horizon?
Thought the game should work properly before using the mod; at least I read that somewhere...

Ehm, I'm pretty sure?! xD
I mean, there's a sticker on my laptop, which says AMD Radeon Graphics lol
And Dx Diag says in the register Display Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 but there is also the register Rendering (I guess this is the english word for that; text is in german), which says AMD Radeon R7 M260.

Hm, okay, I just looked up, there is just the Intel card in the 'regular' display settings - you know, right click on desktop and than display settings.
But there is also an AMD settings and Intel graphics settings button in the context menu; I'm a bit confused, never had such a computer which is using 2 different graphics cards o_O
And I don't know, which one is doing anything o_O

But many thanks so far! :)

With an Intel card, the game will not work even without the modpack.
The fix included in the mod will get around that. It is a better fix that SwiftShader because it doesn't use software rendering.
Disadvantage is that the water doesn't look as good, but that is a small price to pay if the alternative is the game not working or crashing all the time.
The same Intel fix is available from the ModDB separately and can be installed on the original game.

That was a fast answer! :D

So, am I using an Intel card 'though it says AMD on that sticker on the laptop? lol
Better I learn how computers work today, last time I was into PCs was 10 years ago, that's why I want to play POTC ;)

Well, that's not a disadvantage then! :D

Last edited:
If POTC is always crashing, then it is using intel graphics. Try setting the power profile to high performance.

Back