• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help PotC Movement Speed

Hi there,

I've recently taken to playing PotC again but I'm struggling with the really slow movement. I've had a look through the files, and I can't seem to find anything in the PROGRAM folder that controls running and/or rotation. I suspect that these are hard-coded in one of the DLL files in the MODULES directory.

I was wondering whether someone has the ability (through possession of the source code or whatever) to modify these parameters? Or whether it's possible to have the code to look into oneself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

it's actually tunable from the files, but in the .ani files in RESOURCE\animation, so not where one'd think to look first. check out "walk speed" under the different headings xD I have walk at ~2 and run at 5.5, feel it's a fast enough to not be frustrating, but not so fast to make it look weird with the animations

it's actually tunable from the files, but in the .ani files in RESOURCE\animation, so not where one'd think to look first. check out "walk speed" under the different headings xD I have walk at ~2 and run at 5.5, feel it's a fast enough to not be frustrating, but not so fast to make it look weird with the animations

That's got it thanks! Yeah I wouldn't have thought to look there lol.

Thanks too!

What I'd like to do as the next step is essentially alter the way the game handles mouse input. At the moment it seems that the mouse XY axes aren't linearly mapped to the rotation of the player; the faster I move the mouse, the slower actually I turn. I'd like to be able to implement a sort of FPS style approach to 'aiming', where input is simply taken as raw mouse movement with a sensitivity option, thereby allowing snap rotations.
I think it would be nice aswell to adjust the camera dampening, i.e. how the camera follows the player.

It would be an interesting endeavour, and I know I'd probably need the code for this, so whether that's possible or not I'm not sure. But again, any help would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Is this possibly the problem with running PotC on a modern computer and the frame rate is so high that it slows down the game?

This can be solved by running a frame rate limiter, and there's a post somewhere that talks about it. I don't have the link handy, but it's about poor performance in spite of (or because) of having a fast computer.

Hook

I've been pretty much all over the PROGRAM folder in the past ten years.
Based on that, I'd suggest to not get your hopes up.

It sounds like something that would be hidden away deep in the engine code.
But whatever source code was used to generate ENGINE.exe and the DLL files no longer exists.
Closest you might be able to get is this: New Horizons on JLB Maelstrom 2.8.2 engine

Back