• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release PotC: New Horizons - Build 14 Beta 2.2 Released!

3066 total visitors on our ModDB profile yesterday. Beta 2.2 Light downloaded 112 times already.
The Facebook profile "reach" also made a jump yesterday. The day before: 305. Yesterday: 1490.
Not a bad score!

Game developers can think what they will; there IS interest. And PotC: New Horizons is pretty realistic these days and I haven't seen any complaints on that yet.
Whether that is because the old Arcade mode is still there or because people actually appreciate more realistic gameplay, I am not certain.
Probably a combination. But the realism is definitely not HURTING us. Especially interesting considering that Arcade mode is NOT the default anymore.

8GB? Great, problem solved! I dunno why I remembered that it's over 14GB. I can have both games installed!:dance

Woah! Over 3000 visitors in one day? :shock I guess all this extra Facebook/Twitter promotion must be working.
This is really promising stuff. If anything, interest is only increasing, even if we're growing tired of the modding side.
I just hope our "little secret" can maintain interest even after Build 14 is finished. One thing's for sure: we've set ourselves a VERY high benchmark!

You guys have, again, done an awesome job!!! :) love it (especially the "little secret") ;)

On a word, this version has surprised us so many times already, it's come out superbly. Before we say sompting silly or super stupid would we preferably hear from the makers of it.

WOW! Did I mention WOW!

I had this game on the original xbox and loved it, even with its annoying bugs.
A couple of years ago I sold my xbox with all the games I had. I missed this game
so much that when I saw a copy on sale in a discount game bin I snaffled it up.

I then played it through to the end on the pc. Last year I stumbled upon this site
and downloaded Build 13 Final. I played the new update for less than a day, not
really getting into it and forgot it was even installed until two days ago when I
came across your site again searching for pirate info.

So after downloading the build 14 and the 2.2 update I was again well on my way.
I think the main issue was the controls. I kept my xbox controller S as I use it for
my gamepad/joystick on pc games. I have a couple of issues with the controller
being setup with the game. I use a program called JoyToKey that allocates the
keyboard keys to my controller buttons etc. Some bugs playing the game has
forced me to use the keyboard and mouse solely.

I started the game where I ended up on a beach somewhere and had to struggle
to get money. I read the manual and was told that I had contraband on my ship.
Yay, money woes were over, or so I thought. So with a lot of struggling I am finally
making headway in the game. With 150k gold, two Gaff Schooners and one Light Frigate, I am actually enjoying the game. Those three ships were once pirate ships
that I managed to board and take over as my own. Fun stuff.

Now on to the reason I really posted here.

WOW! Oh, I mentioned that already. But hey, WOW!

To everyone who has worked on modding this game,thank you so much.
This must be the best pirate, sailing simulation out there. I have barely scratched
the surface of this re-furbished game. Congratulations to you all for turning an
average (even when it came out, it was the only sailing game I enjoyed) playable
game into a brilliant masterpiece of coding.

Yes I have encountered bugs. Big deal. I have seen some nasty programming in many
games that has never been patched.

Good job!

WOW!

Though I'm tortured by the fact That I have to wait till I get back to Florida to update my game to 2.2 I'm looking forward to it. :pflag

Thanks a lot for all the kind comments. As they say: "A craftsman is always glad to know his work is appreciated" and I'm sure that goes for the rest of the contributors too. :doff

Seconded. We always appreciate feedback of any kind, but such a positive response is even better. :cheers

I think the problem with using a controller is that there aren't enough buttons for all the game commands.
Having said that, I did once try to use a controller myself via assigning keys to buttons, and it worked fairly well.

a brilliant masterpiece of coding.
Don't forget modelling, texturing, storytelling... :cheeky

I can assign 20 buttons/keys to the Xbox controller S by changing the right stick to 4
buttons and the POV pad to 4 buttons.

The problem I was having was when I was in a sword fight. Pressing the left stick
to the right and blocking/attacking made the game speed advance, my character to sheath his weapon and the character menu would then open up. Happened frequently. With the keyboard I don't have this issue.

I have since gotten used to the keyboard and mouse.

As for my glowing post above. I have been involved with modding a bit with various games and fully understand the time people can spend fixing bugs, adding content etc. Many games have become much better than stock for this very reason. My next favourite games were Deus Ex (original) and the Thief series.

Hmmm Thief and POTC, now that would be an awesome mod.

The problem I was having was when I was in a sword fight. Pressing the left stick
to the right and blocking/attacking made the game speed advance, my character to sheath his weapon and the character menu would then open up. Happened frequently. With the keyboard I don't have this issue.
That sounds like a bug with the JoyToKey software, unless you somehow managed to assign all those functions to one keyboard button. o_O
Never mind, at least you're fine with the keyboard and mouse.

That was reminiscent of a certain banned person I know of... Edit: it's gone now...

Back