• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved PotC original game

Niclas Madsen

Landlubber
Hi

I recently found this old gem and installed it. It seems to be running fine in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode, however, in reality it is not working fine. The game runs, nothing wrong with that, I can fight, I can talk with NPCs but there are small, however devastating, glitches. At the store, I can’t sell or buy goods, but I can buy and sell just fine at the personal store. Also the item scrolling in the store window, like shown in the picture, is slow as hell, and I need to alt-tab in and out of the game for it to actually work. Then it switches item instantly, but when I’m in the game, it takes more than one minute to switch. Also, in the picture, the “Info” button works just fine, but not “Buy” or “Sell”. Again, these buttons works in an equipment store.

There are also issues with saving, that is hard and doesn’t work all the time, but the load game function never works.
Sometimes the menu looks funny. Buttons that are not on the screen are highlighted.

I think that is all the issues I’ve found as of now. I’ve never left the starting port, as I haven’t been able to sell my goods. So all in all, there are issues with some menu button functions, but otherwise the game runs just fine.

I’m using Windows 10 myself, as I said running Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode, and in case you were wondering, my PC specs are more than enough to run this game, even at max graphic settings
69934afc394145350659cd7add244ca9.gif

Attachments

• asdfga.png
    asdfga.png
    559.6 KB · Views: 234
Thanks Pieter, but what about the buttons that doesn't function?
Same problem.
The game functions faster than the engine can handle.
As counterintuitive as it sounds, deliberately slowing it down, actually speeds it up.
Figure that one out! Thanks, Microsoft.... :facepalm

Also, what folder do you have the game installed in? If it is in "Program Files", get it out of there AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
Windows Security Stupidity (WSS) likes to mess things up in there, which could be another explanation for your problem with saving and loading.
I normally use "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean" for this reason.

Thank you Pieter you're really helpful and I'm sure your advice will help, but right now I can't even install the game due to the missing "Installation support file". Do you know what to do about that?

Thank you Pieter you're really helpful and I'm sure your advice will help, but right now I can't even install the game due to the missing "Installation support file". Do you know what to do about that?
I've never heard of that, have no clue what's wrong or how to solve it.
But see your PMs for a potential workaround. :doff

Back